If you wanted to catch fish this week where would you go??

sheffgrow

• 2 weeks later...
There are plenty of venues around Sheffield all full of fish & not fishing bad for the time of year.

I think your problem could be your feeding may not be right & tackle needs fining down a touch.

I will be using light lines from now until springtime, .10 to .06 hook length with a 18 down to 24 hook depending where I fish. It's best to start off feeding very sparsely to start your session.

Is,nt that what they call puff fishing?? Ive never gone as fine as that and I catch plenty of fish summer or winter.

If you still want recommendations then abbey dale hamlet pond it a good bet. It's in beauchief s8 on Saturday me and my dad it 43 in a day. You catch consistently all day. Tickets from woodseats angling. £3.50 for a child and £5 adult. Fish a few metres out on pole or rod. Maggot and bread.

Hope it helps

If you still want recommendations then abbey dale hamlet pond it a good bet. It's in beauchief s8 on Saturday me and my dad it 43 in a day. You catch consistently all day. Tickets from woodseats angling. £3.50 for a child and £5 adult. Fish a few metres out on pole or rod. Maggot and bread.

Hope it helps

Yes thanks a lot, might take my grandson and give it a try.

Good, defo worth it. Use maggot on size 18 hook or bread on 16. Also constant feeding is key to keep the fish in your swim. It holds bream/skimmers, roach (some at 1lb) rainbow and brown trout. Tench, crucian carp, mirror carp. All have been caught on float and maggot. Sensitive float is good for the small bites the skimmers can give.

There are plenty of venues around Sheffield all full of fish & not fishing bad for the time of year.

I think your problem could be your feeding may not be right & tackle needs fining down a touch.

I will be using light lines from now until springtime, .10 to .06 hook length with a 18 down to 24 hook depending where I fish. It's best to start off feeding very sparsely to start your session.

With fishing line being so good now days i myself never go below a 0.10 which is 2.10lb (preston reflo) in proper terms lol and a size 19/21 kamasan 711 and catch all the time. how much to feed is the key!

before the overstocked commercial fisheries came on the scene anglers often had to go down to a 1lb bottom with a 22-24 hook in order to catch wily roach etc especially on the trent and witham. it's surprising what size fish came out on such fine tackle. i still fish fine on my local pond and funnily enough i tend to catch a lot more than anglers fishing 'heavy'.

before the overstocked commercial fisheries came on the scene anglers often had to go down to a 1lb bottom with a 22-24 hook in order to catch wily roach etc especially on the trent and witham. it's surprising what size fish came out on such fine tackle. i still fish fine on my local pond and funnily enough i tend to catch a lot more than anglers fishing 'heavy'.

I think you will find that 1lb line in the old days would be around 0.12 at least, line strengh for diameter now days is amazin, presentation and feeding is the key.

Is,nt that what they call puff fishing?? Ive never gone as fine as that and I catch plenty of fish summer or winter.

I guess I'm a puff then

But on most commercials in south Sheffield I have no need to fish heavier than .10 through colder months. It depends how balance your tackle is or how heavy handed you are I suppose, but if you have no confidence in lighter lines/smaller hooks stick with what you do.

Perhaps it comes down to experience.