Buying on the internet, you`ll miss shops when they`ve gone..

I just read that it`ll not be long before book shops are a thing of the past.

OK that`s partly down to Supermarkets and E Readers (no thanks), but how will people browse books which they may want, if there are no book shops around ?

All those people taking advantage of shops to go and see and feel and find out about products, only to go and save a few quid by purchasing them on the internet, should take a long hard look at themselves. They`re taking without putting anything back.

Amazon ?

I never buy off them.

What do they ever give ?

It`s all take with them, a bit like some of the people mentioned above.

Personally, if I can`t buy what I want from a shop, I try to buy it from a company that at least still has shops, like books from Waterstones for instance.

You mark my words, too much internet buying will kill shops, and you`ll miss them when they`ve gone......

14 Jan 12

So Comet have gone and so have Jessops, it`ll be harder for Online shoppers to go into the shops, see the stuff, then cheekily buying it off the internet now won`t it !

One more thing, at least, one assumes, Comet and Jessops paid all ther taxes, unlike Amazon......

Edited by Justin Smith

What about people who look on retailers websites to find out what to buy, then buy it from a physical shop belonging to a different retailer?

Yeah, it'll be sad to see shops go, but it's also sad that we don't write letters anymore. We'll miss phone boxes, too. But I don't think you can stop progress.

Amazon is fantastic. It is great that I can sit at home and browse a bookshop, you can view far more titles than you can fit into a bookshop and you can read reviews by other people. Not to mention the fact that you can get them way cheaper.

I buy books online because there isn't a single bookshop in Sheffield that sells the books I want to buy. And yes, I could ask Waterstone's to order them for me and wait for them to be delivered and go and collect them...or I could spend 5 minutes on Amazon.

I buy a lot of books and I'm not going to feel guilty about buying them online. I think I do my bit for keeping the publishing industry afloat.

I buy books online because there isn't a single bookshop in Sheffield that sells the books I want to buy. And yes, I could ask Waterstone's to order them for me and wait for them to be delivered and go and collect them...or I could spend 5 minutes on Amazon.

I buy a lot of books and I'm not going to feel guilty about buying them online. I think I do my bit for keeping the publishing industry afloat.

Do you not own a Kindle Jessica ?

Do you not own a Kindle Jessica ?

Nope. I'm holding out until there is literally no space left in my flat for books, and then I'll probably move to a bigger flat. I love physical books.

Nope. I'm holding out until there is literally no space left in my flat for books, and then I'll probably move to a bigger flat. I love physical books.

Ahh I see, I know where you are coming from. The kindle is an excellent piece of kit but I can appreciate your love of physical books.

I just read that it`ll not be long before book shops are a thing of the past.

OK that`s partly down to Supermarkets and E Readers (no thanks), but how will people browse books which they may want, if there are no book shops around ?

All those people taking advantage of shops to go and see and feel and find out about products, only to go and save a few quid by purchasing them on the internet, should take a long hard look at themselves. They`re taking without putting anything back.

Amazon ?

I never buy off them.

What do they ever give ?

It`s all take with them, a bit like some of the people mentioned above.

Personally, if I can`t buy what I want from a shop, I try to buy it from a company that at least still has shops, like books from Waterstones for instance.

You mark my words, too much internet buying will kill shops, and you`ll miss them when they`ve gone......

Biggest load of drivel I have EVER read on here (and that is really saying something). Business for YEARS have been taking and taking and taking, prices rising, day light robbery.

Damn right we are buying online. If shops cannot compete, then good riddance. With arrogant idiot business like HMV thinking they can charge WAY over the odds for Blu Ray, DVD box sets etc its no wonder they are having to close stores.

Why should I pay extra to support a business that has gone about ripping people off for YEARS?

It's either learn to compete, or get lost.

This is sounding like a sad story, I wonder how it will end. Old saying, If you cannot beat it then join it. The www is the biggest book you could ever read. Would love to know how it all ends also..:|

Although I don't have a Kindle thing as yet, I'm seriously thinking about getting one very soon, just for reading novels and stuff.

However, the physical book will never die out (in my opinion) ... sure, you can get so much information on the internet nowadays in ever increasing amounts but I can't see it taking over completely.

I, out of choice, prefer to use my trusty (large) Collins dictionary than anything on the comp ... I like the physicality of it. Same with books on art and stuff.

Much as in the same way as I prefer to buy music on CD as opposed to downloading ... (mind you, it then goes straight onto the comp and into my i- pod)

I think it's all down to tactility ... it's reassuring to be able to physically see and touch what you specifically like and as such, it's great to be able to browse through a physical bookstore rather than on the machine you're staring at. You can also flick through any page before buying which you can't online (wether or not it's a proper book or a downloaded one)

I'm all for technology but I really can't see bookshops dying out any time soon.

I'm all for technology but I really can't see bookshops dying out any time soon.

When Waterstones goes under, that'll be it for books on the high street. Sure, you'll have a few options but it'll be a huge blow!

Biggest load of drivel I have EVER read on here

[...] It's either learn to compete, or get lost.

It isn't nonsense. That is a little extreme. Maybe you could call the idea a romantic notion of the "small business" (or "small bookshop" in this context), but it does stand. Putting all business at the cutting edge of capitalist drive is all fine and well, until all these wonderful little businesses get eaten up because they are run by people who love what they sell, and not a love of business.

I like to buy from small book shops, Rare & Racy being a good example, because if I don't then they will shut.

When Waterstones goes under

Why such a prediction? They're still a profit making company. They've just been bought by a Russian business man.