Very expensive puncture repair

i thought i had a puncture, i could see a lump of metal in my tyre, the garage charged £10 to fix it, when i picked the tyre up it wasnt the lump of metal that caused a puncture it was just the seal round the rim, they gave me a fiver back, shop round,

That's why I much prefer to have a new tyre fitted.

Absolutely. There are two parts of my car that I am fanatical about... the tyres and the brakes. I can't understand why anyone would take a chance with either of them.

I don't spend all day polishing mine, or adding pretty lights to it though:cool:

I've known so called "proper puncture repairs " to fail after only a few days!

That goo you put in your tyre will harden over time, when you travel on motorway, tyre will heat up and the goo will fail and cause a blow out,

thats why it is a temp repair and to drive below 50mph and not for a long distance

Mend it yissen

How? I'm sure it would cost the OP a LOT more to buy all the necessary equipment than to just get the garage to do it properly.

Puncture repair outfits are a quid from the pound shops. After that it's just a bit of time, effort and oil.

There are no puncture repair outfits available in poundshops for cars. Unless you mean the temporary "tyre weld" aerosols.

your lucky they repaired a puncture normal practice is to fit a new tyre, as a repairs are not very good unless they fit an inner tube

What are you talking about?

carry a can of "tyre weld" it's about £7.00 a can, but you only need to use a small amount from the can to fix most small punctures. I had a small nail in one of my tyres quite some time ago,so i pulled the nail out & squirted the tyre weld in to it through the valve, & so far it's not lost any pressure at all!

These are meant as a temporary measure, to get you to a garage to have it repaired/replaced professionally. They may even charge you more for having to clean out all the gunk before they can repair the tyre.

just been to just tyres and they wanted £18.50 to repair a puncture , is this normal , no wonder they was sat doing nothing.
Sounds about right - think in terms of how long it takes them to book you in, get the car jacked up, remove, repair and refit the tyre and wheel, and see you on your way.

I expect it will work out to be a relatively low hourly rate, and from that must come their business overheads and wage costs.

There used to be a product on the market that was injected into your tyres before you had a puncture,it was approved by the A.A , R.A.C etc and was supposed to fix any punctures as they happened.The product was called something like "Finilec" spelling is just a guess.Every few years different versions of this old idea reappears only to die away again, the main drawback is you don't know if it is working or you have'nt had any punctures.

Never use 'Tyre weld' to fix a puncture ... It's maybe useful to get you home if you drive very carefully. I once used it on my motorbike as it was the only option I had at 2 in the morning on the A1 and happened to get my puncture in the forecourt of a garage.

Punctured tyres can be 'fixed' on cars (if it's not within an inch of the tyre wall, I believe), but as your life depends on it ... just get a new tyre! Hey! ... it's gonna cost you about £30 for an average car tyre, more if you've an expensive car ... either way, would you risk your life (and the car) for the cheap contents of an aerosol spray? :huh:

(by the way ... not having a 'pop' (excuse the expression) at the OP ... he had his tyre professionally repaired, personally, I wouldn't trust it ... accept a loss in your bank account and a gain in life expectancy)

Have you read the tin? Most tyre weld cans do state that you shouldn't go above 50mph and shouldn't drive for more than a certain number of miles before getting the puncture properly repaired. They are not meant to be a permanent repair to a tyre and it's important that you know this before it lands you with a puncture at motorway speeds.

As I understand it, the tyre cannot be repaired after tyre weld has been used, well that's what the guys at On The Spot Tyres told me.