Van clamped on private land

Just had my van clamped bought it sat and was told it was sorn as it had no tax on it. I put it on drive in front of my garage and was going to get it taxed and insured at weekend when i got paid, but in meantime cops have asked dvla to clamp it. Now they are wanting £260 to realease it as it has got no tax on it and it hasnt been declared sorn.Will i have to pay this or does anybody know a way round it :(

the onus is on you the owner to make sure it is sorn, if it wasnt sorn and isnt insured or taxed they can now do this, i seem to recall a new law about cars needing to be insured if they are not sorn

What happens if you have a vehicle that is tested and taxed but not insured, can you still keep it on your property without it getting clamped ?

I've just bought a motorbike that has not been on the road for 7 years. the owner sent off the log book and I have the tiny green slip so how do I declare sorn on it before I get the log book?

Edited by hugh jarse

What happens if you have a vehicle that is tested and taxed but not insured, can you still keep it on your property without it getting clamped ?

i think the new rules are that if its not insured you have to cash in the tax disc and declare it sorn but i may be wrong...the change is something to do with insurance

i think the new rules are that if its not insured you have to cash in the tax disc and declare it sorn but i may be wrong...the change is something to do with insurance

I have had problems with cashing in tax discs in the past, the whole process can take ages.

I'm selling a car and it will always sell better with tax on it so I might have to have the insurance running on it until its sold, shame at £40 a month :(

What is the deal with the exemption of it being between registered keepers though, what does that mean.

Only if you declare it SORN otherwise it must be insured. Failure to do this will result in a fixed penalty landing on the doormat.

Just had my van clamped bought it sat and was told it was sorn as it had no tax on it. I put it on drive in front of my garage and was going to get it taxed and insured at weekend when i got paid, but in meantime cops have asked dvla to clamp it. Now they are wanting £260 to realease it as it has got no tax on it and it hasnt been declared sorn.Will i have to pay this or does anybody know a way round it :(

There is no way round it you will have to pay and the cops will be keeping an eye on it now. Don't you get some of that money back when you have taxed the car

I have had recent dealings with tax and SORN at the DVLA office in Sheffield. They tell me if I buy something SORN I have to reapply as the new owner, as it ends with the new ownership.

You can take the little green slip to the post office or DVLA office to buy tax.

There is no way round it you will have to pay and the cops will be keeping an eye on it now. Don't you get some of that money back when you have taxed the car

yes you get £160 back when you tax it but i havnt got money to tax and insure it till friday and if i delare it as sorn i dont get it back at all

I have had recent dealings with tax and SORN at the DVLA office in Sheffield. They tell me if I buy something SORN I have to reapply as the new owner, as it ends with the new ownership.

You can take the little green slip to the post office or DVLA office to buy tax.

yes but i need to insure it first and cant do that till friday :(

yes but i need to insure it first and cant do that till friday :(

Then i think your stuffed im afraid :(