Van clamped on private land

First post on thread

Just had my van clamped bought it sat and was told it was sorn as it had no tax on it. I put it on drive in front of my garage and was going to get it taxed and insured at weekend when i got paid, but in meantime cops have asked dvla to clamp it. Now they are wanting £260 to realease it as it has got no tax on it and it hasnt been declared sorn.Will i have to pay this or does anybody know a way round it :(

The van is the responsibility of the previous owner until the DVLA re-register the log book in your name that's why it's important to date the sale and send off the log book when you sell a vehicle....the existing SORN that the previous owner has is valid until such time that you get your documents and you can Sorn it yourself

The van cannot travel on the public highway (especially with all the cameras on every street corner) If it has done...the previous owner will gladly pass on your address to find the vehicle and the police will not want it to move. Maybe the cameras picked it up on the back of a trailer...this should be easy to prove again (especially with all the cameras on every street corner)

The DVLA site says you do not have to sorn an uninsured vehicle if it is between registered keepers, what exactly does that mean?

According to sheet which came with 'Renewal reminder to get a tax disc', it says:-

If a vehicle does not have insurance and a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) has not been made, the registered keeper could face:

1, a fixed penalty of £100

2, their vehicle being clamped, seized and disposed of

3, a court prosecution with a maximum fine of £1000.

The DVLA site says you do not have to sorn an uninsured vehicle if it is between registered keepers, what exactly does that mean?

I'm in this situation now with a bike, I bought the bike on Monday the 11 July and the owner rightly sent off the log book to clear himself of it...I have the green slip but the vehicle is not registered to me until DVLA do their business. When my log book arrives no doubt the request for road tax will quickly follow and I will SORN it .....but at this stage I don't have any link with between the DVLA, the bike, and my address so I cannot SORN it.

The bike is in about 320 pieces and has no wheels on it so it wont get picked up on any camera. Maybe this is what between registered keepers means and the original post should have the same cover

Any relation to Hugh Janus?

Don't be silly.

The police spotted something that breached the law and told the appropriate authority who then acted. The police themselves did not clamp the vehicle. The DVLA did not act on behalf of the police, they were doing their job based on information that could have been provided by anyone, in this instance it just happened to be the police.

God almighty, folk like you would willingly throw themselves into Orwell's 1984. Nothing silly about it, PRIVATE PROPERTY, if the police wish to enforce rules, they should abide by them.

I still can't understand why the OP hasn't spoken to the police at their HQ. I appreciate that you would simply pay up, but some of us wouldn't trust the police to oil the spring on a pogo stick.

Edited by crookesey

God almighty, folk like you would willingly throw themselves into Orwell's 1984.

Nonsense, it's only the hard of thinking like you that think there is any connection.

Nothing silly about it, PRIVATE PROPERTY, if the police wish to enforce rules, they should abide by them.

As has been repeatedly stated, the police didn't enforce anything, they asked the appropriate people to do their job. It's not rocket science.

I still can't understand why the OP hasn't spoken to the police at their HQ.

Why would they, it's nothing whatsoever to do with the police.

I appreciate that you would simply pay up, but some of us wouldn't trust the police to oil the spring on a pogo stick.

I wouldn't have fallen foul of the rules in the first place, but even if I had I wouldn't delude myself and start inventing conspiracy theories. I don't live in the fanstasy land that you clearly do.

Nonsense, it's only the hard of thinking like you that think there is any connection.

As has been repeatedly stated, the police didn't enforce anything, they asked the appropriate people to do their job. It's not rocket science.

Why would they, it's nothing whatsoever to do with the police.

I wouldn't have fallen foul of the rules in the first place, but even if I had I wouldn't delude myself and start inventing conspiracy theories. I don't live in the fanstasy land that you clearly do.

Forget me on this, you are trolling for an argument, pick on someone else, I'm not interested.

Forget me on this, you are trolling for an argument, pick on someone else, I'm not interested.

Not at all, I'm just pointing out that you're talking complete nonsense.

That you have to resort to the "troll" factor because you didn't get your own and are clearly wrong, says it all.

It's not rocket science, as has clearly been stated several times now, the police did not clamp the van.

Not at all, I'm just pointing out that you're talking complete nonsense.

That you have to resort to the "troll" factor because you didn't get your own and are clearly wrong, says it all.

It's not rocket science, as has clearly been stated several times now, the police did not clamp the van.

Beam me up Scotty. :loopy:

Beam me up Scotty. :loopy:

Oh I see, I'm loopy because you can't read... nice :D

Oh I see, I'm loopy because you can't read... nice :D

No, you're loopy because you are, I'm sure that you are happy in your own way. ;)