Van clamped on private land

Look at post #28

Yes I read it, but is it legal? I have a very long drive, that means uninvited persons can wander about as they wish, if they believe that there is an untaxed/un Sorned vehicle at the end of it. On the end of my drive is a garage, that apparently is a safe haven for said vehicles, I don't believe a bloody word of it.

i know but it has to be done tomorrow or they will clamp it again and if i sorn it i dont get my £160 back from my £260 clamping fee

So it's going to cost you £100 more to do what you said you intended to do.

The police are not allowed to clamp vehicles parked on private land.

The police haven't clamped it, the DVLA have. See post #1.

Yes I read it, but is it legal? I have a very long drive, that means uninvited persons can wander about as they wish, if they believe that there is an untaxed/Sorned vehicle at the end of it. On the end of my drive is a garage, that apparently is a safe haven for said vehicles, I don't believe a bloody word of it.

Just done a bit of reading..it appears they can't clamp on a driveway wich is in the curtailage(?) of a dwelling but if the garage is out side of this eg in a block of garages away from the house, then it's legal...

have a wade through this.. :)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2008/9/schedule/45

and as Magilla said it's not the police doing it but the DVLA (or their agents)..

The police haven't clamped it, the DVLA have. See post #1.

What don't you understand about 'the cops asked the DVLA to clamp it'? The police can ask for assistance, however I am beginning to think that the DVLA might just use a private clamping firm.

I think if it was on my land, I would be inclined to get the angle grinder out!

We have some stupid rules re SORN and insurance for vehicles that are off the road, mebbe the police should look a bit harder for vehicles being used ON the road without tax and insurance?

What don't you understand about 'the cops asked the DVLA to clamp it'?

There isn't anything I don't understand about it, the cops didn't clamp it, as I previously stated.

and as Magilla said it's not the police doing it but the DVLA (or their agents)..

There isn't anything I don't understand about it, the cops didn't clamp it, as I previously stated.

They asked for it to be clamped, they don't carry clamps with them, someone else acted on their instructions, now tell us all again that you understand everything. :huh:

Who does the fine go to?.

If it is the DVLA then wouldn't the dibbles be "their" agents or skivvies?.

They asked for it to be clamped, they don't carry clamps with them, someone else acted on their instructions, now tell us all again that you understand everything. :huh:

Don't be silly.

The police spotted something that breached the law and told the appropriate authority who then acted. The police themselves did not clamp the vehicle. The DVLA did not act on behalf of the police, they were doing their job based on information that could have been provided by anyone, in this instance it just happened to be the police.

Id be tempted to stick it on bricks and take the wheels off... bit difficult to clamp then.

Id be tempted to stick it on bricks and take the wheels off... bit difficult to clamp then.

But easier to lift :)