Woodseats the nightmare continues

I don't think that is true.

I recall at the time, a while after the scheme was complete, the Council measured journey times and they had actually decreased over the whole corridor.

I measured my journey time, and mine had increased.

My wife measured her journey time, and hers had increased.

Everyone I know who drives through said their journey time had increased, some dramatically.

Is it possible that the council may be telling porkies???

I drove down from Meadowhead today at around lunch time, it was horrendous and took us twenty minutes to get on to Abbey Lane. It's always busy on Saturdays but people were driving down in the bus lane, then cutting into the outside lane. I am not aware of anyone ever getting a fine for doing this so half thought of doing it myself, but I would probably be the first person to get caught!

are you sure they are cutting back in ? I regularly use the bus lane at busy periods as I'm turning left onto Abbey Lane and don't want to wait 20 mins, just for traffic that's going straight on to clear. In my opinion the dedicated bus lane should be changed to allow left turners to use the lane too. I followed several cars yesterday and they all turned left - the only vehicle to drive straight on and cut in was the bus.

I measured my journey time, and mine had increased.

My wife measured her journey time, and hers had increased.

Everyone I know who drives through said their journey time had increased, some dramatically.

Is it possible that the council may be telling porkies???

They put up automatic number plate recognition cameras and did before / after surveys. They have no reason to lie.

The scheme covered a corridor let's not forget, Meadowhead to London Rd as I recall.

---------- Post added 10-03-2013 at 15:14 ----------

In my opinion the dedicated bus lane should be changed to allow left turners to use the lane too.

A bus lane that allows general traffic in it, for whatever reason, is not a bus lane, is it? What you are suggesting is just drop the bus lane.

are you sure they are cutting back in ? I regularly use the bus lane at busy periods as I'm turning left onto Abbey Lane and don't want to wait 20 mins, just for traffic that's going straight on to clear. In my opinion the dedicated bus lane should be changed to allow left turners to use the lane too. I followed several cars yesterday and they all turned left - the only vehicle to drive straight on and cut in was the bus.

One person cut straight in front of us, we stayed where we were because past the bus lane (around the now defunct traffic lights) it clearly says buses. bikes. taxis at all times. I completely agree that it should be buses and left turners but you would then go back to how it was before with drivers using that lane and then cutting in to the outside/forward lane.

A bus lane that allows general traffic in it, for whatever reason, is not a bus lane, is it? What you are suggesting is just drop the bus lane.

sorry I wasn't precise enough for you. It is currently a bus lane at ALL times - in my opinion it could be changed to a dedicated bus lane only at rush hour, similar to the other bus lanes that operate across Sheffield and successfully share with left turners outside of rush hour periods.

sorry I wasn't precise enough for you. It is currently a bus lane at ALL times - in my opinion it could be changed to a dedicated bus lane only at rush hour, similar to the other bus lanes that operate across Sheffield and successfully share with left turners outside of rush hour periods.

Problem is that most drivers tend not to drive in the peak hour only ones, even at times when they can.

I don't think that is true.

I recall at the time, a while after the scheme was complete, the Council measured journey times and they had actually decreased over the whole corridor.

I also recall many people on here arguing that this was because people had diverted to other routes during the works and hadn't gone back to their old route yet. That doesn't sound like more congestion from day one, does it?

Many people perceive that congestion went up, particularly towards city, because the queue was relocated further back up towards Meadowhead, where it could be managed an public transport given priority.

There were always queues at Woodseats, well before the scheme came in and nothing will change that except increasing the capacity of the road, which usually means more lanes, especially at junctions (or a bypass). More vehicles want to use the road than there is capacity for, that's why there is congestion, which has been the case for many years. There is no magic bullet that the Council can use to change that. What they did was try to manage it better and prioritise public transport.

An independent review of the Woodseats scheme, by traffic experts AECOM in conjunction with the Highways Agency and local residents, concluded the primary objective to improve journey times for traffic on the A61 through the suburb was not met.

The report said the scheme "has failed to achieve the expected reduction in journey times and the improvements to traffic flows", adding "it cannot be stated that the scheme has delivered good value for money."

So...surprise, surprise, the council measures journey times and they are magically shortened. An independent review however finds the opposite is true and the council are being economical with the truth.

So in answer to your question, yes it does sound like more congestion from day one, along with a whole load of council whitewash and wasted taxpayers money.

You say that "many people perceive that congestion went up". There's a good reason for this, as the report proves. IT DID!

Coun Auckland criticised the development of the scheme. He said: "At the time, there was a 'Town Hall knows best' mentality that was not challenged by anyone. The scheme was fatally flawed from the start.

Officers refused point blank to accept it was not working and continually said journey times were improving."

I wonder where he could have arrived at such a conclusion? It's not like we're constantly told by the planners that we're wrong and that our perception is at fault is it?

Lies, damned lies and council statistics :rant:

Source: http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/shamed-department-facing-privatisation-1-1834718

Edited by Doctor Drew
Reference added

I personally think it was bad to start with, worse with the bus lane and shocking with the lights. I have lived in the Meadowhead area for the last 30 years and have always avoided it at all costs i use either Gleadless road or Greenhill. This has always been a bottle neck and always will be no matter what happens. The only time i will dive down there is late at night even Saturday and Sundays are bad.

I drove through Woodseats at 0230hrs on Saturday morning and had no problems whatsoever!

Nice intelligent answer that Planner1. Everyone knows that its a balls up at woodseats.

Problem is that most drivers tend not to drive in the peak hour only ones, even at times when they can.

excellent, sounds like a no-brainer then. I will endeavour to find the correct contact within the council and enquire how to go about getting it changed :thumbsup: