How to get rid of wasps' nest?

Count yourself lucky - 2 nights ago I couldnt sleep, so was sat watching tv - heard a buzzing noise, looked up to see 9 wasps circling the lightshade !

By morning I had killed 34 of the little sods :(

They should be dying off soon, however they will be getting angry so be-careful if you do find the nest.

They should be dying off soon, however they will be getting angry so be-careful if you do find the nest.

Wasps can still be around mid-November.

Wasps only need the smallest of gaps to get into a property. A few years ago I found some building a nest in my loft. They were entering through our gable wall which is 18" thick! Once I'd blocked their entrance with a spot of mortar we didn't have any more trouble. Their nests are spherical and look like they're made of tissue paper.

Since then we've had wasps and bees nesting in our walls, usually under the eaves on the outside of the house and they've never bothered us. The positive fact is that they die off once the cold weather arrives and only the queen hibernates. In subsequent years she will find an alternative nest site.They never use the same one twice.

echo.

Had to evict another two dead wasps from the bathroom when I returned home tonight! They certainly weren't there this morning.

If there will be nothing there after winter, and no eggs to hatch I won't be too worried, but if the eggs will hatch, or a queen is likely to return then I need it sorting now!

I'd get an exterminator in asap

If the nest is in your house, your central heatings gonna keep them alive through the winter. I think you'll just get more when they don't go outside in the cold.

I rennovated a bungalow years ago, they got in through the air brick & build nest under floor boards. This gave them access to all house.

Usually you wont see a wasps nest if it's in your house as it could be hidden in a gap.

The entrance could just be a tiny hole between roof tiles, in wooden facias, air bricks, light fittings, etc.

Nest opening does usually have a steady stream of them coming in & out.

Find out where they are.

When you go out close all the windows & (internal) doors, this will stop them flying openly from room to room.

When you get back you'll know which rooms they are getting to by other means.

If they're still in more than one room then they are probably coming in through your attic.

Go & check again, check under all the insulation, in any boxes or anything.

Outside is there a nest on the roof, top of the chimney, blocked gutter, etc.

If they're just in one room, probably your bathroom. Then do you have a vent or extractor fans? any air bricks? any minute gaps in wall where pipes come in & out? whats on your bathroom floor - if it's carpet or lino lift it up they might be coming through the floor(there's usually a big gap between your floor & ceiling below).

Remember to look under the bath.

If they're aren't any at all then they are flying through your open window & must be outside. Then they could be anywhere; in someone elses house, someones garden.

You won't be able to get pest control for this, but you can stop them coming to you by closing the window.

:huh: wondering if anyone can help me I have a wasps nest underneath my front window council want to charge me 42 pound

Diy shops like Richardsons in Firth park sell a powder approx £8 that you squirt on to the nest and into any entrance holes you can see . The best tip I can give you is to do it just before it goes dark when there is less activity and nearly all the wasps are in the nest .

Good Luck

I'm just worried that they have gone into brick work can't see actual nest

Are you sure they are wasps and not wild bees ,wasps are bright yellow and black and there would be a lot more and they fly with purpose . You could still spray the powder into the holes and they take it into the nest on their body

£42 ain't much for peace of mind that it is done safely and will be done correctly