Should paedophile's have anonymity?

Should Paedophiles be Named and Shamed ?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Should Paedophiles be Named and Shamed ?

• They should be named & a picture shown so we can see who they are.
    • They should only have their names & address shown
    • They shouldn't be named at all.
    • Let the vigilanties rip them to pieces, even if they kill one or two innocent people along the way.

Originally posted by max

MOD: Can we please get back on topic and refrain from name calling and personal messages which would be better done in pm? Thanks.

thanx max, bit late though the name calling was done yesterday evening, but i hope he has grown up a little now

Originally posted by JoeP

The problem isn't one of registers and such.

It's whether the degree of recidivism for child abuse is greater or less than for other serious crimes. According to a study (http://www.scotland.gov.uk/library5/justice/rsvo-06.asp) 75% of men who've abused 'strangers' have already been convicted - compared to 14% of people who've abused family members. Chronic recidivism in an individual is often associated with childhood abuse and neglect, drink and drug abuse.

The highest recidivism rate for other crimes is a bit above 60% for robbery.

In other words, statistically these people are more likely to re-offend than other criminals, so the common sense approach is to extend the sentences given and only release offenders on license with strict constraints on where they live - hostel accomodation or perhaps even open prisons for a few years after the end of their sentence.

And a single repeat - life imprisonment.

Publicising names and addresses is counter-productive. You need to know WHERE these people are. By ensuring that someone is placed in a relatively child free area, and then posting a general warning in the area, a medium would be achieved. Include regular trips to the local police station and, for example, random surveillance for 48 hours at a time.

If the offender is one of the 25% who don't re-offend then their license can be gradually extended and the surveillance reduced. It would be expensive - I appreciate that - but it might be worth considering.

Joe

Of all the suggestions about how to address and contain the problems involved this does seem to be a sensible strategy. I dont like the idea of people who behave in this vile manner wandering around uncontrolled. After all in its wisdom the Home Office requires "aliens" to register with the police so they can be tracked and monitored so why cant we have a similar and hopefully far more effective system for those people who are clearly incapable of controlling themselves at any cost.

You have to ask yourself is rape/paedophilia worse than murder?

Some will argue yes and some will argue no. I cant comprahend any of the above actions but if your argument is paedophiles should be on a publically available register then why not murderers? muggers? why not for every crime???

We do have something in this country called the offenders rehabilitation act for a reason.

and i slept with a 15 year old girl when i was 16 to. I suppose technically i should be on a register, but whats worse?

A 16 year old lad sleeping with a 15 year old girl, or a 40 year old man sleeping with a 16 year old girl?

Yes they should have anonymity because you can't allow tabloid justice to take hold. Judges and barristers have usually been practising law for decades. They know far more about it than some S*n reader who is slobbering over yet another manipulative, emotive headline and wants an excuse to beat someone up.

Originally posted by Daley

Yes they should have anonymity because you can't allow tabloid justice to take hold. Judges and barristers have usually been practising law for decades. They know far more about it than some S*n reader who is slobbering over yet another manipulative, emotive headline and wants an excuse to beat someone up.

i better not buy the sun today then in case i turn into some kind of avenger and seek out those who do wrong

personally if some one is arrested for a crime the names of the said person should be kept out of the papers until they are found guilty , far too many lives have been ruined by naming a person who is arrested

Originally posted by dawny1

I would like to know if there were paedophiles living close to me

Dawny1 have you not heard our local pedo has just been let out of jail in the past two weeks and within the two weeks of being out he has broken the restraining order he had taken out on him and is due back in court. Looks like this man will never learn his lesson!

I would name and shame this man but dont think the Mods would agree

Having read the various postings on this thread, one reflects upon how much British society has changed since the late seventies. In 1979, the Paedophile Information Exchange [or 'PIE'] shared a platform with the then Campaign for Homosexual Equality at a conference at the City Hall in Sheffield, on 'alternative sexualities'. The members of 'PIE' were not lovestruck 16 year-olds, but men predominantly in their 40s, who had a sexual interest mainly in very young children.

Nowadays, in the wake of media campaigns [some might say, 'moral panics'] in which lynch mobs attack the offices of Paedetricians, and any furtive-looking, middle-aged man in a soiled macintosh is looked upon with great suspicion, the conference might well be burned to the ground with the delegates inside.

The sexual predation of children can never be tolerated or justified. However, there are degrees of offending. A 16 year old boy [for he is not an adult man in law until the age of 18] ought to know that he is breaking the law by having sexual congress with a fellow teenager of 15. He would most certainly be very wrong to give in to temptation. However, we can surely forgive callow, inexperienced teenagers for making a mistake. There is a world of difference between what Miniminch refers to and the vile antics of the Paedophile rings, in which adult men prey upon the pre-pubescent, toddlers and babies. There is a clear difference between boyfriend/girlfriend under-age experimentation [which I do not condone], and those who rape babies.

Well, obviously, a 40 year old. Because he/she should KNOW BETTER. Don't even get me started on adults (teachers, scout leaders, etc) who abuse their positions of trust and authority. I wouldn't put a 16 year old sleeping with their 15 year old boyfriend or girlfriend in the same category.

I can't speak for England, but in the US, the Megan's Law sites (the one below is for the state of California) tells you the offenders last known address, and what they've been convicted of. And let me tell you, some of the crimes are pretty bad. There are even some women listed, although the bulk of offenders are overwhelmingly male.

http://caag.state.ca.us/megan/

Meghan's law sites are in all 50 states. Sex offenders are automatically required to register and let the authorities know their whereabouts at all times anyway. As you might expect, not all of them do.

The other reason is that compared to other criminals, child molesters have an extremely high rate of recidivism. That, coupled with short prison sentences, particularly for non violent offenders, is a recipe for disaster. After 6 or 8 months, the pervert is free to move somewhere where his neighbors are unaware of his background and start all over again.

There was a child molester living right around the corner from me that NO ONE was aware of and he has since moved away. I'm sure because of the humiliation of his neighbors knowing his background. I don't feel sorry for him, either. He has no one but himself to blame. Even before we knew about him, I thought it was strange the way he would sit on his driveway, in a lawn chair, watching the kids walk to school, and then home again in the afternoon.

And I agree with panda that someone's name should be kept out of the papers until they're found guilty. Although the people on the Megan's Law website have been tried and convicted (quite a few times, for some) newspapers in the US regularly print the names of those arrested for various crimes, unless they're minors.

:) Sierra

Archived