Stone or Beatle

Rolling Stones for me . I don’t think the Beatles would get in my top five bands from that time.

46 minutes ago, lobster said:

The Beatles on the otherhand were a bit more choatic due to the fact they had 3 very talented song writers all vying to get their songs out there . Harrison was very underated and not given his due recognition , Mc Cartney overrated producing little of note after the band split ( who can forget the nausious  " Mull of Kintyre " ) and lived off his reputation , Lennon produced some classic songs before being cut down in is prime

Beatles

• Like 1

Beatles...end of 

2 hours ago, Dreb48 said:

I was lucky enough to see both bands in their early days .

As a live act the Stones were and ,amazingly still are, a great band.

By the time most of us got to see the Beatles live you could barely tell what they were playing cos of the audience screaming and I think you can only judge them on their recorded output.

You have to have been around at the time to truly appreciate what the Beatles did for popular music  and culture .  You really can’t over exaggerate the influence they had on all our lives.

Annoyingly, Ive seen people  say they were’  the most overrated band of all time’  but invariably they’re people who weren’t alive at the time.

In my opinion the  Beatles are the most significant band ever in popular music 

Well said @Dreb48

Posted (edited)

I was only a young whippersnapper in 63 when my parents took me to see the Beatles at the City Hall when they were the warm up turn to the headline act, Roy Orbison.

Edited by YorkieontheTyne
Typo.

6 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Rolling Stones for me . I don’t think the Beatles would get in my top five bands from that time.

Go on then,  hackey lad , I’ll bite.

Who are these 5 great bands that were around at the time ?

After all, nobody  makes that sort of statement without wanting to be asked 

• Like 1

On 09/01/2024 at 11:58, Dreb48 said:

I was lucky enough to see both bands in their early days .

As a live act the Stones were and ,amazingly still are, a great band.

By the time most of us got to see the Beatles live you could barely tell what they were playing cos of the audience screaming and I think you can only judge them on their recorded output.

You have to have been around at the time to truly appreciate what the Beatles did for popular music  and culture .  You really can’t over exaggerate the influence they had on all our lives.

Annoyingly, Ive seen people  say they were’  the most overrated band of all time’  but invariably they’re people who weren’t alive at the time.

In my opinion the  Beatles are the most significant band ever in popular music 

Agree entirely. 

Together with George Martin’s input the Beatles were so innovative and influential in what they produced in  nine years.

You only have to look at their legacy 54 years after they split up with Lennon, McCartney and Harrison continuing with good song writing as individuals.
Missed seeing the Beatles at the Azena ballroom on White Lane in ‘62 but managed to see McCartney in concert at Sheffield Arena on 29th May 2003. Took me back to the halcyon days of youth!

My best friend had ‘Paint it Black’ played at his funeral four years ago but he was born in Chelsea and his wife in Essex so they were obviously Stones’ fans.

I have a Beatles track pencilled in for mine.😀

echo.

• Like 1

Can’t imagine there’s many still around that witnessed the Azena performance, echo .

The first time I saw them was March 63 when they were supporting Helen Shapiro at the City Hall 

Amazingly they appeared there 3 or 4 times  that year.

Saw the Stones at the Gaumont , I think that was 64 and then, in later years , a couple of times at Don Valley 

I consider myself lucky to have had that opportunity 

8 minutes ago, Dreb48 said:

Can’t imagine there’s many still around that witnessed the Azena performance, echo .

The first time I saw them was March 63 when they were supporting Helen Shapiro at the City Hall 

Amazingly they appeared there 3 or 4 times  that year.

Saw the Stones at the Gaumont , I think that was 64 and then, in later years , a couple of times at Don Valley 

I consider myself lucky to have had that opportunity 

My mates and I went to the Azena regularly in ‘62 when the Beatles were relatively unknown and so had the chance to see them but the ticket price charged increased considerably from the usual amount; hence we decided not to go.

If only we’d had a crystal ball and been able to predict what was to come!

echo.

• Like 1

I erred to the Stones back in the day, however I’ve grown into the Beatles as their music passes the test of time.

Cocker at Woodstock blasted em all out of contention , The greatest rock performance ever ,

51 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Cocker at Woodstock blasted em all out of contention , The greatest rock performance ever ,

Neither the Beatles nor the Stones played at Woodstock.

Joe did finish his set, however, with the Beatles’ song ‘With a Little Help from my Friends’ which was better than Ringo’s original and deservedly went on to be a big hit for him.

His rasping vocals were unique but he wasn’t what you’d call a melodic singer. RIP Joe.

PS I remember him coming to collect his then girlfriend, Eileen Webster in the ‘60s from the NCB offices at Rutland Park. That’s when he was a gas fitter and part time singer.

Wonder what happened to Eileen?

echo.

Edited by echo beach