Water meter megathread

One thing to note is that once the meter is fitted it cannot be removed. We have moved from a house paying £26 per month to a house slightly smaller and they calculate with a meter we will need to pay £40 a month. We are hoping after a month or so that the bills will reduce.

One thing to note is that once the meter is fitted it cannot be removed. We have moved from a house paying £26 per month to a house slightly smaller and they calculate with a meter we will need to pay £40 a month. We are hoping after a month or so that the bills will reduce.

I think it is the case that when you first have a meter installed you have a year in which to decide whether or not to keep it.

leave it alone dont change it

water meters are crap very expensive for me

you can flush toilet as many times as you want

Hi all,

We recently moved to Sheffield from Netherlands and are finding the utility bills quite excessive for what we actually use. We just received the water bill and as far as we understand it's a flat rate for water/sewerage at 26~ pound a month. We have found on the Yorkshire water website that they can install a water meter and then you would pay for what you actually use and not an estimation. We live in a terraced three bed house, though it's only two of us.

Does anyone have this meter installed? Is it worth it? Does it actually lower your water bills?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Cheers

It's probably quite marginal in your case, you could save a bit, especially if you're frugal. I'm sure I've heard somewhere that if there's fewer people in the house than there are bedrooms, then you're generally better off on a meter.

---------- Post added 19-09-2013 at 17:38 ----------

We had a meter installed about six months ago - we are saving about £400.00 a year - and honestly, we don't stink. I may be wrong but is it not the case that your water rates are based upon your post code? We were paying £650.00 a year before the meter.

We were exactly the same. We had a meter installed as soon as we moved into our current house, as the water rates were over £600 a year. We're also saving about £400 a year. But there again, it's a biggish house, and there's only two of us.

So, to the OP - you might save a bit, but probably not much.

It does make you more mindful of your water use though.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I think we will go ahead and have it installed, because as someone mentioned, if we find that we are paying more with the meter, we can reverse back to set fees. Thanks again!

Hi just wondering if water meters are still cheaper than a fixed monthly charge.

At the minute I'm paying £53 a month and have a 4 bedroom house and only me living there now.

I do 2 loads of washing a week, shower every day no dish washer and like to wash my car once a week if possible.

I've also read posts on here saying if I move to a meter if I change my mind within 12 months I can go back to fixed monthly charge ,is this still correct?

crikey go to a meter, your bills should be a lot cheaper,

I pay £24.00 fortnightly for a three bedroom house but there are four of us

so don't think a meter for us would suit

my water bill was £55 a month been on meter for 2 years now i pay £14 a month

£53 over how many months?

Im in a similar size house. Wash 3 times a week. Shower at least once a day. Bath twice a week. Use dishwasher 3 times per week. Water garden. Jet wash. Clean cars.

I pay £15 per month on meter.

Its a no brainer. If they can't fit one they give you assessed charges which should be less than £50

£53 over how many months?

That's over 10 months