Starting my new job bit nervous

i start my new job in the police force on wednesday , after 20 yrs of my current job i had "had enough" so my brother in law who is a sergeant in the force talked me into it , the thing i am asking is , ....what do the general public really think about the service the police provide ?

What service ???? Todays Police are a 'shadow' of what they were 10 years ago. Focus on motorists as an easy target, inability to attend many crime scenes due to Police officers being engaged in 'paperwork' !!!

Trust me, private security firms will become more and more popular for those who can afford them !!

I doubt that the general public, myself included, have the faintest idea what the police have to contend with. They are easy targets for criticism, when a lot of the time they seem to be up against certain elements of society with one hand tied behind their back. TV cops nick murderers and other villains within the hour..if only...

Ach ... I wouldn't have asked that on here as all you are going to get is flack.

The police do what they can .. they can't do everything, be everwhere ..

I wish you all the best in your new career !!

It depends what officer you want to be really if you understand my meaning. Yes I agree with EO however my friend is an officer and although info is confidential does tell of crimes he has been to and how pleased another mess is behind bars. While at college I went to see how police dogs work, and heard stories from several police officers there on various crimes, some do take their jobs seriouisly and with pride it is up to you if you want to be the pc people trust and ask for when in trouble or the pc people slag off when in trouble good luck xx

I thought there was a 'freeze' on recruiting. Loads of civvy staff being made redundant. Your brother-in-law has some influence.

Special constable?

We all have viewpoints on how the police force could be more proactive and reactive, but we don't have to do the job, do we? Easy for us to say speaking from a little knowledge.

I would have thought after 20 years in another job, you'd be almost at retiring age for the police? But hope it works out well for you, no wonder you're nervous!

Best of luck :thumbsup:

We all have viewpoints on how the police force could be more proactive and reactive, but we don't have to do the job, do we? Easy for us to say speaking from a little knowledge.

I would have thought after 20 years in another job, you'd be almost at retiring age for the police? But hope it works out well for you, no wonder you're nervous!

Best of luck :thumbsup:

Not sure about this given that the current retirement age is 55 - so OP could still have almost 20 years of police working life left and Hutton has also put forward recommendations that the retirement age be increased thus the OP could be working 25 years +.

Edited by madasfish
reflection

Special constable?

is a volunteer and therefore unpaid. Hardly worth packing in a 20 year job for?:huh:

i start my new job in the police force on wednesday , after 20 yrs of my current job i had "had enough" so my brother in law who is a sergeant in the force talked me into it , the thing i am asking is , ....what do the general public really think about the service the police provide ?

Bobby, what job are you actually doing with them?