Childcare thoughts and questions MEGATHREAD

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Edited by ppdd
not applicable

I'm a student nurse and about to start my placement - problem? I can't find childcare. As it's 24hr shifts in the hosp childminders are wanting to charge me for a full 40hr, 7-6 week which tallys up to £350 p/w when added together with before and after school care fo my eldest. I'm considering putting my daughter into nursey instead but i can't see how it will work as then i will have to be in two places at once to pick up and drop off!

Basically, i am wanting to know hows others on shifts (Nurses or not!) do it? Is there a cheaper, simpler alternative?

I was going to go to Uni to study Adult Nursing but decided against it for this very reason. A friend of mine dropped out a couple of years ago as she found it hard juggling her children round her course. I think the answer is family and friends if you have those you can rely on

I am a childminder and have cared for nurses children but none had to do 24hr shifts,you didnt say but if you are a lone parent surely they will have to take this into consideration.

I am a student nurse just finished my 1st year, I have 3 children and it's not easy. You only have to do a limited number of night shifts throughout you whole training and I haven't done any yet (although I have worked for the NHS and done night shifts for a few years now). My placements have been very accomodating when it comes to the off duty. When night shifts come I will be using 3 sources of childcare: my mum (I give them dinner at home, take them to hers where they get ready for bed and go to bed shortly after I leave, then pick them up on my way home from work in the morning and drop them at school), my friend will have them on the odd occasion with the same arrangement as my mum or finally paying for a babysitter. I already have a babysitter that I use if I'm going out and if I'm going to be home very late then she stays the night on the sofa anyway. I pay her £15 to babysit and an extra £5 to stay over. This is obviously much, much cheaper than any formal childcare and at the end of the day the kids are asleep anyway. Just piece of mind knowing that someone is there for them in an emergency, I'm there for dinner and home in time for breakfast.

Hope that might help.

Emma xx

I know how your friend must have felt! I'm tempted to dop out also but i've worked too hard to get here to leave now. Uni don't help in the slightest with childcare issues, being married makes things easier ie. nightshifts but my husband works 40 hours per week.

I think i need a big sit down with eveyone to try and sort things out. The babysitter idea is good, i've just found one i think and we're meeting up so i will bear that in mind.

Thanks everyone for your comments. :)

Have you discussed your issues with the childcare services manager? She is there to help you work out a childcare plan for your children to enable you to work or train. Call the NGH switch board on 2434343 and ask to be put through to CHRIS WALLIS at SUNSHINE DAY NURSERY she was fantastic when I was doing my training and struggling to negotiate child care. Hope that helps

Have you discussed your issues with the childcare services manager? She is there to help you work out a childcare plan for your children to enable you to work or train. Call the NGH switch board on 2434343 and ask to be put through to CHRIS WALLIS at SUNSHINE DAY NURSERY she was fantastic when I was doing my training and struggling to negotiate child care. Hope that helps

This would be great but i'm doing children's nursing so i'm not based at the NGH. Something to look into at the SCH though, i'm not sure if they even have a nursery.

Thanks for all your replies :)

you could ask your favorite sister to help out too :)

XX

i could but she just so happens to live at the other side of sheffield :)

Hi there

I am wondering if anyone can offer a solution to my childcare problem.

Currently my youngest who is 2 in March is in private nursery at Woodseats and the hours are from 2pm-5.30pm every weekday. The way they work out bills is to average the costs over the whole year so that the bill amount is the same every month. They expect payment in advance- bills produced on the 1st and expected by the 10th latest for that month.

At present I get help from my bursary scheme from uni towards childcare costs, this comes also with the help I get towards my eldest childs childcare needs but those costs fluctuate every month on a pay-as-you-go basis (it's before/after school club and holiday club as she is at school). I do pay my part towards these costs also.

Nursery expects me to pay, as I am sure they all do, even when she is not there, as obviously she is taking a place up and although I know they have plenty spare I guess it's run this way as a business. It does get frustrating though during times when my daughter is not there for example for most of the past 3 or so weeks, and because I was struggling with money in the run up to Xmas I paid a big chunk out of last months bill then as she has not been there and I have only paid the £60ish remainder, and some off this months bill, today. However, my bill is £15 more than expected and I can only put this down to it being a late payment charge although this is not detailed on the bill. I have enquired about this and am awaiting a response but I suppose it's fair do's if so but I have only not paid it as she hasn't been there so I couldn't send the money (someone else takes her to nursery most of the time and picks her up and obviously I wasn't going to send that person all the way to nursery to pay money).

Anyway, sorry- I'm rambling!

Just wondered if there would be a cheaper way to sort this, are there any nurseries in the S8 area or Coal Aston/Dronfield on the bus route from Batemoor, any that maybe pay a month behind rather than in advance, or any that are pay as you go?

Or do you think there's a cheaper way- presumably childminders would be more expensive? It's difficult as my mum does not drive so needs to be able to take her for around 2pm latest by foot or public transport then go to work herself.

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks

Edited by Miss_S_83