Childcare thoughts and questions MEGATHREAD

Hi

Goodness sounds very complicated. First of all what hours are you wanting childcare for? Where are you doing your study/placements? Only asking because it could mean more options. Is the study/placement term time only or all year?

hi hun you could always put your oldest in private nursery for 15 hours it doesnt have to be a school nursery, you could also pay your childminder with the 15 hours as long as they are registered hope that helps if not om me and i will explain better

Hi

Busymum- Well as the horus at uni/placement vary I would need 2 x full time places Mon-Fri 7am-6pm. It doesn't mean the kids would have to be cared for every week all week but that's the earliest and latest I would need.

I am based at Hallam Uni on Eccy Rd, and we have a couple of long placements per yr, ranging from 5 to 12 weeks.

Mary- I could pay a private nursery with the free hours I suppose, I am just confused because then I would be paying a CM for a full time place for the baby, and then would have to pay her for the hours she would have my eldest. She would also have to take my child to her private nursery place and/or pick her up (depending on what I am doing), and also in the school hols I would have to pay both the nursery and the CM. I am so confused!

It would be easier to use my 15 free hours with the CM and have them both with the same CM, duno how it works as uni pay 85% of childcare costs up to a max, but obv AFTER the free childcare allowance is taken away, no idea how they sort all this out though.. if anyone can help I would be appreciative!

Thasnk so far ladies :-) xxx

Hi, I'm going to have a similar predicament next year as i'm going back to college (nursing) and have three young kids. Have you tried the sheffield children and young people services in town they hold information about all aspects of childcare, schools, funding for child care etc and you can see them in person which would probably be best for you as it sounds quite complicated, or ask for the info to be sent out. Its a free service run by the council their address and number is

11 Leopold Street

Sheffield

S1 2GY (0114) 275 6699

Hi, I'm going to have a similar predicament next year as i'm going back to college (nursing) and have three young kids. Have you tried the sheffield children and young people services in town they hold information about all aspects of childcare, schools, funding for child care etc and you can see them in person which would probably be best for you as it sounds quite complicated, or ask for the info to be sent out. Its a free service run by the council their address and number is

11 Leopold Street

Sheffield

S1 2GY (0114) 275 6699

Yes thanks I conatcted them earlier they have provided some CM details, nursery details etc, need to ring the CMs tomorrow and see if they can do what I require. Reallllly wanted the eldest to go to nursery but it's looking very unlikely.

Good Luck with nursing- I go back later this year with the Sept 09 lot at Hallam as been on mat. leave. (Will still be a 1st yr!)... am just hoping I can go back!

T x

Sorry for butting into your thread but I have a question! :hihi:

Sooo....the 15 free hours - if your child is attending a state nursery does this take up the 15 free hours or does the state nursery place not count and then you get an additional 15 hours free care? :help:

Hiya

Not 100% sure but I think the 15 hours is for whatever nursery they go into, state or private or a mixture :-) x

I work as a nurse and so I do shifts (7-3) (1.30-9.30), weekends and nights and don't have any family in Sheffield. Looking for flexible childcare for my baby who is now 4 months, I'll be going back to work in a few months. I've looked at the nursery at the NGH as it's the only one I can find which opens at 6.30 in the morning but they're really expensive (907 pounds a month for full-time care!!!!) and not so flexible (ie I'd have to do the same shifts and they're not open weekends).

Also, I'd need someone or somewhere who accepted tax credits.

Any ideas???? :help:

I would search around for a childminder. My MIL has a 10 year old daughter and she is also a nurse. She was lucky enough to find a child minder who takes children from 6.30am and is very flexible. Unfortunately this isn't in Sheffield but you might find someone similar if you ring a few around your area.

Good luck.

I've often thought that if i went into childminding i would cover unsociable hours, as i used to work shifts too and it's really hard for people to get cover for shift work, especially if you're a single parent as i was- i had no partner to pick them up at tea time when childminders usually finish. Consequently i went onto nights when the kids were little, and did that for about 11 years

I am a staff nurse, earning less money than I did fifteen years ago as a childminder but anyway - I have no family and my baby's father left just before she was born, I got in a real pickle, didn't want to leave the baby full stop which didn't hep. I spent ages searching for a nursery in Sheffield, I have to say I hated them all - more than likely because I am an older mum (thought they were a little too manic). In the end we settled for a childminder - she is flexible, but all the same I went to my manager and requested 8-4, or 9-5, I didn't know but apparently the NHS has to be seen to do everything they can to accommodate child friendly working conditions. I have to be up for work at 6am to get to work for 9am, I don't really like then idea of dragging the we one out of bed either, so my present working hours are much better for us both. I miss the quieter weekend shifts, and the unsocial pay but have been back at work for three weeks and its much better than I had hoped for.

There are pros and cons to both options, my advice would be to see as many people as you can, I used to work unsocial hours when I childminder, and my baby's childminder was happy to work Good Friday, so I am sure you will find someone. Have you thought about a nanny? I think it can work out cheaper than people think.

Good Luck x

Contact Sheffield Information Link, Sheffield's Family Information Service, they hold lists of childminders and if you need help finding one that could help with your unsociable hours needs. Their number is 0114 275 6699.