The People's Supermarket

Would you be willing to support a sheffield people's supermarket  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be willing to support a sheffield people's supermarket

• Definitely - I would sign up straight away
    • I would consider it once it was up and running
    • I would consider doing my shopping there
    • Not interested at all

All she said was that you are making yourself look stupid and pull you neck in......I kind of agree with her. What sandra says are good points, and points that any new enterprize such as this will have to deal with. She also stated that big supermarkets are not perfect, but to compete with them would be almost impossible from start up.

The biggest point that has been made is about the decline in corner shops.....

Just think of it this way....many people will get emails every week from Tescos, morrisons etc, stating what they have on offer.......and given that people are trying to save money, they will take those deals. Can an enterprize such as the peoples supermarket go against that kind of marketing?

You need to distinguish angry based remarks and the real world.

Edited by hitch_1980

You need to distinguish angry based remarks and the real world.

That's the point I keep reiterating that is falling on deaf ears unfortunately.

It's a lost cause trying to expalin to this memebr that this is a healthy debate we we can agree to disagree. Instead andrey_k is getting hot under the collar because we simply can't see it working.

I will add, as per the original post's point, which was to take on Tescos's and Asda's on price, though in their second post the OP contradicted that by saying it was not about competing against them so this is confusing in itself, so which one is correct? Either they are competing with them, or they aren't.

To andrey_k, I have never said you are a newbie to the forum. I never asked you to epxlain yourself or prove yourself. I have never said it would not work in Sheffield.

All this feedback on the idea is not for you by the way, it is for the person who posted that thread. That was not you so I will repeat, dont take my comments to heart. They are healthy debate, I disagree it can take on Tescos on price and succeed with that aim, I dont know this, I am not making claims and guarantees, I just have the opinion of it. Everyone who has an opinion isn;t using a crystal ball, its opinion. Again, I say you need to deal with accepting that other people have different opinions to you.

This is a forum for discussion and debate where 2 sides may not agree. You have missed the point that some of us responded to the OP, but then you jumped in from nowhere and starting attcking our opinions, particularly mine, telling us not to post negative stuff and questions that were aimed at the OP. You have claimed I said things to you that I never did, so you are now becoming inaccurate too.

What I suggest is that you stick to discussing your oinions on the topic in question, I will do the same, and lets agree to disagree if we differ. I havent pulled you down for your opinions after all. This is all very one sided on your part.

There's always the possibility of setting up a basic model of the idea; set up a shop, investors come by way of a CIC, then get those investors to work in the shop too ie money where mouth is type of thing. After all, any other type of investor is only seeking ROI. So there needs to be consideration of where the initial capital is going to come from. Any investor be it an individual or a finance organisation is going to want a sound business plan. Any further financing will need to show that the initial growth has potential to grow further and has started to show it is self sustaining.

The heirarchy of management will have to be on much lower wages (this is a bone of contention raised) and any 'profits' will all go bck into the business and no individual or external organisation will profit at all.

Prove with a basic model that the concept has ability to sustain itself first. Also, remove all elements of competing on price and with competing those out of their league. M&S and Waitrose aren't cheaper than Tescos but they have created a brand that endears people to them, due to a nicer environment and quality produce.

Meanwhile, for people who feel strongly about this concept, start going to your local shops and farm shops, and support them. You could even start volunteering to work for them, and stop buying from larger supermarkets, what you can buy from your local community shops. Not just food hooping either.

And why stop there if its about putting life back into the community? Make sure everything is bought locally, such as your car tyres (so no heading off to Kwik fit in town), haircuts, you name it. Now that would make a difference. Oh, and no more buying online either!! Because if anything has hit not just local but now towns and cities, it's online shopping! Every individual can start to make a difference if they really wanted to. And if a million people didnt order from Amazon today, and bought it in town or village, then rinse and repeat, you might start to see this difference.

Sandra try to share your opinions and business experience without being didactic and on the edge of lecturing. I do not doubt your experience, it is your manner and style at which you become insulting and attacking, just refrain and be more reflective in how you speak and post here, that's all!

Anyway thanks for the well disguised apology, however i await the moderators opinions on the personal names you called me, we all make mistakes just move on.

Thank you for listening.

Anyway thanks for the well disguised apology, however i await the moderators opinions on the personal names you called me, we all make mistakes just move on.

Thank you for listening.

One thing I cannot stand is when people flip a situation round to make them the victim.

Your view seems to be you are right and everyone else is wrong.

Outline then please how you will create a 'people's supermarket' that can compete with the big boys on price.

Ring up Proctor and Gamble for a trade account. You ring up - how many stores they ask - err.... 1. Tesco ring up - how many stores they ask...need I say the rest? Who is going to get the best price? You sell the product for £4 but Tesco are doing £3 BOGOF. You may talk about ethics and beating the big boys, but when the product costs 10p to make aren't Tesco helping the public by getting them more for their money? Who are the public going to go to?

I don't know if you know this but when there is a BOGOF it is paid for by the producer. Tesco are very clever with price. They may have a negative effect on produce - fruit/ veg - and something needs to be done about this. Farm shops etc work great but a return to locally run fruit and veg shops would be better.

One thing I cannot stand is when people flip a situation round to make them the victim.

Your view seems to be you are right and everyone else is wrong.

Outline then please how you will create a 'people's supermarket' that can compete with the big boys on price.

Ring up Proctor and Gamble for a trade account. You ring up - how many stores they ask - err.... 1. Tesco ring up - how many stores they ask...need I say the rest? Who is going to get the best price? You sell the product for £4 but Tesco are doing £3 BOGOF. You may talk about ethics and beating the big boys, but when the product costs 10p to make aren't Tesco helping the public by getting them more for their money? Who are the public going to go to?

I don't know if you know this but when there is a BOGOF it is paid for by the producer. Tesco are very clever with price. They may have a negative effect on produce - fruit/ veg - and something needs to be done about this. Farm shops etc work great but a return to locally run fruit and veg shops would be better.

I like the fact how she says shes been insulted....and also at the same time tells someone how to speak.

why is there the obsession on competing on price?

meadowhall isn't cheap, but people still go there.

if you can offer decent produce at a decent price and offer a "better" (how ever you define better) shopping experience then you will succeed.