The People's Supermarket

Would you be willing to support a sheffield people's supermarket  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be willing to support a sheffield people's supermarket

• Definitely - I would sign up straight away
    • I would consider it once it was up and running
    • I would consider doing my shopping there
    • Not interested at all

SANDRA - you appear way too focused on money money money, the idea in principal can work but not with people like you around, i guess it's better to support than not tu support and all this deep analysis is not needed, just wish well sit back and what it flourish!

Well money is the issue.

You need a decent location - costs money.

You need security - costs money.

You need a customer service department to deal with the complaints of 'my crisps taste funny' or 'I tried your product, like it but am complaining to get my money back'.

Some people will pay more for a product, but not one they can get cheaper elsewhere. I go to a farm shop and pay more for jam and beer, stuff I can't get in the supermarkets. I, and others, are not going to pay £2.50 for something that I can get for £1.50 in a supermarket.

Love them or hate them, their mass buying power is here to stay. Encourage people to shop local for produce and let the big boys battle it out for branded products.

I don't think the idea is to compete on branded products, go4it.

People from Sheffield? Work for free? That's pretty unlikely!

You can't compare it with New York.

New York has lots of people living in high rise apartments and many have no car. They shop for a little often.

We live in a society where practically most people have a car and can drive to a supermarket and fill up for a week.

People in New York has a different mentality to us. People buy their dinner from local delhis and pizza places, not a value ready meal. We lap up Tesco here, but over in the USA Tesco has struggled ('Fresh and Easy' they called it).

An Indizine says you will never compete on price. The producers will always make money. If a 'People's Supermarket' stocked Lynx Shower Gel then Unilever would still be rich because they make it for 10p and sell it for a £1. A People's Supermarket might only be able to sell it for £2.50, whereas Tesco offer a BOGOF.

There is some stuff we can make cheap still.

Perfume for example.

SANDRA - you appear way too focused on money money money, the idea in principal can work but not with people like you around, i guess it's better to support than not tu support and all this deep analysis is not needed, just wish well sit back and what it flourish!

Onbiously a comment from someone who hasn't ever been responsible for P&L, let alone a large one.

PS Anyway, who are you? And why are you asking? Why not make yourself transparent so we can see what your experience and background is for supporting your comments. Mind are pretty clear to be found.

Interesting reply Sandra that sadly smacks of avoidance and ignorance! I didn't realise the forum had a strict policy for people to be known so much, just so YOU can validate (OR NOT) their experience alongside yours? If this is a new rule please forgive me!

However back to the question in hand, what I said to you stands and is completely objective, if you can't find the sensibility and humanity to support such a venture then I suggest you find another post to show off your seemingly spotless business experience and acumen! This project needs support not barriers, SO PLEASE in the spirit of humanity either support it or not, but please don't attempt to drag people down who really are trying to make a difference compared with those who wish to milk capitalism at the expense of ordinary people.

Thank you for reading

If we wish to disagree and ask questions, we can do so. Please don't tell members not to reply with anything that does not suit you.

I'm not validating the OP's experience - they don't say why they are posting this here. eg are they linked to the project for example? What opinions were they expecting here and why? They only have 2 posts so i'm interested to know who they are and where they fit into this.

Any business, even a not4profit, has to have a rock solid money making business plan. If the business owners/trustees believed otherwise, then it WILL fail on believing it is not about money. It's what keeps the business afloat, either maintaining and sustaining a level, or even growing it. Not making money means there is nothing planned for the future, to protect, expand, etc.

However, Audreyk, thess were your replies. The OP has said nothing and doesn't, so far, disagree with me ;):)

The OP posted a poll - to get people's opinions. I am pretty sure they are OK with this open discussion and our views. The balanced business owner will seek out the weaknesses and adderss them to overcome them. They could well be appreciating this feedback to go away and overcome these barriers we mention.

Edited by indizine

ok Sandra my intention was not to start a nuclear war! So with this in mind hear you and just let me say there is no need for all this verification etc, just let people be and you don't have to put people to test.

Thanks for your views.

It's an interesting concept and I'm looking forward to seeing how the series pans out, though I don't see an immediate 'space' in Sheffield where it would work. The local shopping areas often have either a small Tesco/Sainsbury's/Co-Op/etc, locally established independent businesses or a combination of both.

Even if people don't like the 'big guys' (and I'm not a huge fan, though I use them for some things) would this take away from local business or enhance it? For example, if you were to situate it in the Sharrowvale/Ecclesall Rd area, you have a large potential customer base, but you're also competing with Tesco, the Co-Op and Sainsbury's as well as the Sharrow Marrow, Fancie and so on - and similar would apply to Nether Edge, Crookes, Broomhill, Hillsborough etc.

I guess you could arrange for it to stock primarily local produce but again, where to situate it so that it wouldn't compete with local businesses to their detriment? What about car parking and public transport access?

I do think there are probably a lot of people in Sheffield that dislike the major supermarkets and would prefer to buy their tins/bottles/packets etc from somewhere more 'ethical' - though again, if ethics is the key selling point, you'd have to be careful about what you stocked. What good is an 'ethical' store that sells Nestle and so on?

The higher cost of goods, fewer BOGOFs etc wouldn't necessarily put everyone off, though it clearly would be a major downside. However, I just can't think of where it'd be able to work.

Why do you say 'thank you for your views'?

This isn't a thread you started, so i'm puzzled by your anxiety over my opinions. Just ignore them however, we are very much entitled to air them here, like it or not.

Having open discussion with people giving opinions which you might not agree with does not amount to any type of war, its just discussion. You are taking it personal though Lord knows why. I'd expect the OP to feel strong maybe, and you are a just another forum contributor yet you are behaving like it's a thread you started.

And 'all this verification' is a tad overkill of a description of what I asked. I asked the OP (not you) who they were. Perhaps they are from C4, or the programme makers, of involved in someway in this venture. It's useful to know who they are and find out their reason for posting. A very fair question indeed if they want our opinions. Hardly fair to come onto a forum as a brand new member and expect us regulars to respond to their poll without them giving any contribution of their own. But I doubt they did that as there is only you seems to be complaining, not the OP. I am but i'm guessing the OP is rational and probably thinks 'lets agree to disagree'. That's what folk usually decide when engaging in a debate, which is quite healthy I might add.

You seem hung up on thinking I am verifying you (or them?), putting you (or them?) to the test, yadda, yadda, when all I have done is point out some barriers - constructively I might add - and disagreed that it has the projected merit due to various factors as outlined above.

OK well too much analysis. Also please stop making assumptions that I'm a "newbie" etc this is in fact not true, but I intend to make no efforts to either prove or disprove this. Just we got our wires crossed but there's no need for recriminations.

andrey k - Aaaaaaggghhhh!!! you are doing it again!!! I am saying the OP - the person who created this thread, the original poster, is the new person to the forum, not you....!! Likewise, I did not ask you to prove yourself, I asked the OP to reveal who they are!! They may have a joining date of 2008, but they have only 2 posts which makes them a new contributor to the forum.

"Too much analysis"? This is a discussion forum if you hadn't noticed.

Edited by indizine