'What were they on about?' What Grandparents from Sheffield used to say.

The teacher would have the cane on the front of his/her desk and I remember one used to walk round with it under his arm, and dig you in the ribs with it to make his point...

When the school inspectors came round they'd say, " We'll put this in the cupboard while he's here, we don't want him to think your naughty do we " ?

Mind you, they din't get a lot of back chat or chunterin in class in dem days either ...

Edited by grinder

My father used to stand in front of the coal fire and say that he was "Organ grinding". No idea of the meaning!:loopy:

my grandad use to call my brothers and sisters the moony gang...and if we did sommat he dint like he said we were bang underarm...i still don't have a clue to what he meant..bless him

my grandad use to call my brothers and sisters the moony gang...and if we did sommat he dint like he said we were bang underarm...i still don't have a clue to what he meant..bless him

hiya, i remember that saying but we would say UNDERT ARRM, like say a footballer who wasn't trying, i wrote on another site about one bloke i knew who was working at bramall lane and was queueing at the offices for his wages along with some united players, going back over 50 years ago, and he told a said player that the saturday before that he was crap, undert arrm so to say. the answer was way its ony a game innit. also another was gerrit int nek..and his gorra face like a slapped arse.other sayings that have come back to me are tha gets on me crack, tha gets on me wick, tha gets up me back, in other words tha gets on me nerves, i had a swet on den, and tharra neverswet thee = not bothered, wotsis name da nose hoo arr meean thingama jig, dee telme. and this one arr no is name burr i carnt place his face., true i once heard this

p.s well arl gutta bakerarr hows,tingama jig,wen das seen wonn das seenem all.skimpin an skrapin.dis dat andtuther

Edited by willybite

hiya, i remember that saying but we would say UNDERT ARRM, like say a footballer who wasn't trying, i wrote on another site about one bloke i knew who was working at bramall lane and was queueing at the offices for his wages along with some united players, going back over 50 years ago, and he told a said player that the saturday before that he was crap, undert arrm so to say. the answer was way its ony a game innit. also another was gerrit int nek..and his gorra face like a slapped arse.

Spot on willybite,

If you were poorly you were under weather if you cheated you were underhand and if you were rubbish you were under arm...

Edited by grinder

I was defo a very very naughty girl ! And it was prob long time before you went

If some one started telling slightly blue jokes, they were " Gerrin a bit near knuckle " ...:o

Ever told youd , Ore stepped mark,:confused:

Ever told youd , Ore stepped mark,:confused:

You don't know what that means?? :hihi:

I remembered this today. When i was a teenager in my first job and the lads used to come in and try and chat us young 'uns up or try and make us blush by talking mucky. the older , wiser ladies we worked with would shout " Leave 'er alooan , she wants a man norra shirt lap!!:hihi:

Ah, de were sum reight puddin's knockin abart in dem day's, mind di, de still is....:hihi:

"Dees pigs trotters are tuff as old boots, an smells enough to turn de or ".

"Geor moanin an get it darn di, it'll put some meight on de booens" ...

Edited by grinder

Our old boy used to say [its all me eye and Peggy Martin] when something was hard to believe or was far fetched.Who Peggy Martin was Ive no idea!:help::huh: