Outstanding Food The Nags Head Loxley/Bradfield!

Just been today. Unfortunately they weren't doing food as they've just changed to different food serving times.

Yesterday their web site still showed them doing lunches today, it has been updated now!

Has a lovely lunch at the Plough instead, who were very busy.

Always been impressed with the beer and the welcome in The Nags Head. Never had a proper meal in there, only sandwiches, but they've always been good and I've jealously watched the pies and roasts etc being delivered to other people.

I think thats my point with the horns. I mean it wasnt truly revolting but its a stunning pub with great views and something a little more than warmed up freezer food and prebagged salad is required to make it great and it just didnt deliver. Maybe it was my choice, a caesar salad. This proved to be a deconstructed salad of the individual ingredients. Ie a pile of salad, three frozen chicken breasts, three over salty bacon rashers and a pile of big croutons, with caesar sauce and cheese on top. I just thought the ingredents were a bit poor and didnt like the fact it wasnt what I would call a caesar as nothing was brought together. Other people though may love it.

That view though! I got that table for two near the door where you can see the whole valley. That is a nice place to sit with a drink

Thats where we sat when we went :hihi:

Just been today. Unfortunately they weren't doing food as they've just changed to different food serving times.

Yesterday their web site still showed them doing lunches today, it has been updated now!

Has a lovely lunch at the Plough instead, who were very busy.

Thats Cak you'd expect them to be open most days wouldnt you. Well worth the wait. I hope nobody goes and doesnt like the food or else I feel somehwhat a fool. Please all spare my feelings if you go and say its lovely lol:)

Went last night,choice was pie,pie,pie or a burger,food was home cooked and good but the choice needs to be better.

after reading this thread some time back, i decided to book a mothers day meal at the nags head, and to say im disspointment is an understatement, there wasnt a menu, you had only the choice of meats in your "sunday lunch" and it wasnt meat even off a joint , it was basic stuff you could buy from ANY supermarket.

aunt bessies yorkshire puds, sweetcorn ?????..poor meat, even the carrots werent cooked properly and it wasnt packed to the rafters either so no excuses about being rushed.

there was no effort to make this food good, anyone and i mean anyone could knock up a sunday lunch of such quality, the pub itself was actually a nice pub but if it wants to compete with places like the old horns it has a long long long longggggggggggggggg way to go.

it seriously needed a home made touch to it, a womans touch, any touch,

3 out of 10 at the very most.

How long have you been working there or known the owners for?

The Nags is a very popular place and would never need anyone to act as a 'plant', it'd be entirely redundant. It seems to be full whenever I've been in regardless of what day or time it is and there's bound to be a lot of people who are ready to give it a good word.

Yes, the food is great and the portions are very impressive. It's honest, unfussy pub grub at it's best.

after reading this thread some time back, i decided to book a mothers day meal at the nags head, and to say im disspointment is an understatement, there wasnt a menu, you had only the choice of meats in your "sunday lunch" and it wasnt meat even off a joint , it was basic stuff you could buy from ANY supermarket.

aunt bessies yorkshire puds, sweetcorn ?????..poor meat, even the carrots werent cooked properly and it wasnt packed to the rafters either so no excuses about being rushed.

there was no effort to make this food good, anyone and i mean anyone could knock up a sunday lunch of such quality, the pub itself was actually a nice pub but if it wants to compete with places like the old horns it has a long long long longggggggggggggggg way to go.

it seriously needed a home made touch to it, a womans touch, any touch,

3 out of 10 at the very most.

The Old Horns is shocking. It's as if one of the Hillsborough idiot magnets has been rebuilt in Bradfield and all the tossers have moved with it. The beer is crap too.

Where is the Nags? Best way from Barnsley, please.

A61, turn right after SWFC (before Kentucky), straight on at Hillsborough corner, bear right, then left at Malin Bridge one-way system (after tram terminus), straight on for 2 miles. It's on your left before Dam Flask.

usually go to plough but will give nags a try on this recommendation :)

Its a few months since the last thread on food at the Nags Head at Loxley - has anyone been recently for a meal and prepared to comment?