What is people in Sheffield's problem with merge in turn lanes?

No, where the hell have you got that from?

An example: I come off the parkway onto the A57 and go straight into the right-hand lane off the roundabout. The left lane is full of muppets queueing all the way back to the roundabout so I correctly use the free lane all the way down to the merge point where I get in a gap and no one even has to slow down.

Some idiot did try to block me one day but the road was still wide enough to drive around him, should've seen the look on his face, he went purple lol. Pretty funny how people get themselves so wound up, maybe they should learn about how to drive on roads with more than one lane

How do you define overtaking then?

The right hand lane is an overtaking lane, the same discipline for overtaking applies on this road as is does for any other road.

DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example

approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road

where the road narrows

when approaching a school crossing patrol

between the kerb and a bus or tram when it is at a stop

where traffic is queuing at junctions or road works

when you would force another road user to swerve or slow down

at a level crossing

when a road user is indicating right, even if you believe the signal should have been cancelled. Do not take a risk; wait for the signal to be cancelled

stay behind if you are following a cyclist approaching a roundabout or junction, and you intend to turn left

when a tram is standing at a kerbside tram stop and there is no clearly marked passing lane for other traffic

You just choose to ignore it because it's convenient to do so.

What's clever about using the empty lane that goes where you want to go?

It's clever than the idiots queuing for no reason.

That was sort of my point - it's not 'clever' to use the full capacity of the road, it's sensible.

I had an amusing one on the A61 yesterday, I had merged near the merge point, then this van infront of me decided he didnt want anyone merging so he blocked the right lane, only problem is everyone went down his left side and didn't let him back in.

I was in stitches.

That was sort of my point - it's not 'clever' to use the full capacity of the road, it's sensible.

Its also why a number of motorways are scrapping the hard shoulder and replacing them with emergency refuges to allow all lanes to be used.

But no doubt some of the people on here would still sit in what would then become lane 2 or even 3.

Obviously the 'poster' has never driven in :

London

Birmingham

Leeds

Manchester

Liverpool

Rotherham

ect

As I travel the country you see the same things in Every town,city and village.

I always pull my truck into the outer lane and travel at the same speed as the left traffic as otherwise u get idiots trying to cause accidents by pushing into the left.

While in a Blizzard in the snow the other week i was trying to get home at 8pm and waiting in the left lane to enter the slip rd and leave the motorway.

There was only 2 lanes as the snow was so bad, the main motorway and the slip rd.

Whie i was waiting a car waited till it was near the chevrons and stopped in the motorway lane with its indicator on to go up the slip rd.

Lorries and cars had to go round this idiot on the fresh snow so they could carry on.

If it wasnt for the traffic only being able to move at 20mph this idiot would be dead.

But someone let him in and he bypassed over an hour of waiting.

Not read whole thread, but can I just throw the top of Chesterfield road junction with Woodseats road into the mix (outbound)?

At the junction/traffic lights, I go left at Scaresdale Road.

Travelling up to the lights at night there is always a queue, but all are going through woodseats. At the end of the bus lane the road markings show 2 lanes, but everyone moves into the middle of the road as they approach the lights meaning that I have to stop, when if they had stayed in the right hand lane then I/others could reduce the queue by getting out of the way.

Can I also add that I do not drive straight up the bus lane either, I wait until I’m only a few 100 meters away before moving into the bus lane with left hand blinker on.

Obviously the 'poster' has never driven in :

London

Birmingham

Leeds

Manchester

Liverpool

Rotherham

ect

As I travel the country you see the same things in Every town,city and village.

I always pull my truck into the outer lane and travel at the same speed as the left traffic as otherwise u get idiots trying to cause accidents by pushing into the left.

While in a Blizzard in the snow the other week i was trying to get home at 8pm and waiting in the left lane to enter the slip rd and leave the motorway.

There was only 2 lanes as the snow was so bad, the main motorway and the slip rd.

Whie i was waiting a car waited till it was near the chevrons and stopped in the motorway lane with its indicator on to go up the slip rd.

Lorries and cars had to go round this idiot on the fresh snow so they could carry on.

If it wasnt for the traffic only being able to move at 20mph this idiot would be dead.

But someone let him in and he bypassed over an hour of waiting.

So you admit to causing an obstruction and failing to observe good lane discipline... But feel capable of critiquing someone else.

You drive a truck and do this? You're supposed to be a professional driver.

There's only one idiot and its behind your steering wheel.

How do you define overtaking then?

The right hand lane is an overtaking lane, the same discipline for overtaking applies on this road as is does for any other road.

DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example

approaching or at a road junction on either side od the road

where the road narrows

when approaching a school crossing patrol

between the kerb and a bus or tram when it is at a stop

where traffic is queuing at junctions or road works

when you would force another road user to swerve or slow down

at a level crossing

when a road user is indicating right, even if you believe the signal should have been cancelled. Do not take a risk; wait for the signal to be cancelled

stay behind if you are following a cyclist approaching a roundabout or junction, and you intend to turn left

when a tram is standing at a kerbside tram stop and there is no clearly marked passing lane for other traffic

You just choose to ignore it because it's convenient to do so.

If there is an overtaking lane then clearly the road has not narrowed. The lane ending is also not accurately described as narrowing either, it's described as the lane ending and the instruction to merge in turn clearly applies.

If there is an overtaking lane then clearly the road has not narrowed. The lane ending is also not accurately described as narrowing either, it's described as the lane ending and the instruction to merge in turn clearly applies.

A road purposely turning from two lanes to one is a narrowing road in my book. Which is usually the point where many an overtaking manoeuvre is forced to be completed on the particular road in question, despite the presence already queuing traffic.

The instruction to merge in turn clearly applies to unexpected traffic incidents or road works on multiple lane roads.

So why bother having this second lane then? Surely the council could have saved surfacing money by making it a single lane and a thicker central reservation?

Its clear to see this second lane (to those who open their eyes) is to relieve congestion from the twin roundabouts.

So why bother having this second lane then? Surely the council could have saved surfacing money by making it a single lane and a thicker central reservation?

Its clear to see this second lane (to those who open their eyes) is to relieve congestion from the twin roundabouts.

It's an overtaking lane, for overtaking.