What is people in Sheffield's problem with merge in turn lanes?

Oh for crying out loud. You can't merge back in safely if the lefthand lane is hardly moving! The A57 Mosborough Parkway coming from Sheffield Parkway is such a badly designed road. The righthand lane going uphill should only be used for overtaking slower vehicles. Using it to get pass standing traffic and then try to push back in is just inconsiderate and rude. Anyone who thinks different is a fool!

Anyone from Sheffield Highways dept who is reading this, please try and sort this mess out either by making the road a dual carriage way or by implementing some traffic lights that activate during rush hour to allow each lane to merge into one fairly. This could be done quite easily as an experiment one evening during rush hour and I bet it would work well and prevent traffic backing up to the Sheffield parkway. Please feel free to pm me as I have some knowledge in this area.

This discussion has been brought up so many times before with all the same replies as above. Everyone has their own opinion and thinks their way of driving is the correct one.

Edited by Paddy

The point is that nobody is "pushing in." The queue should be filling both lanes; those moving into the empty lane are driving correctly. The ones insisting on staying in the full lane and not using the empty one, are the ones in the wrong.

And who has the right of way when the lane becomes one?

me, whichever lane I happen to be in at the time!!

Seriously, people should be sensible, watch the other traffic and if each driver in the left lane lets one driver in the traffic will move

me, whichever lane I happen to be in at the time!!

Seriously, people should be sensible, watch the other traffic and if each driver in the left lane lets one driver in the traffic will move

but people arn't sensible.

I refer you back to the thread title, and the phrase "merge in turn."

Oh for crying out loud. You can't merge back in safely if the lefthand lane is hardly moving!

Actually that's exactly when these rules apply. The queue should form in both lanes, and one car from each lane should proceed alternately.

no Dobby, people are not, they are self centred. Regardless of the rules and highway code, without someone or something there to police it, people don't stick too the rules.

By the way, mines a grey Puma, let me in :)

Actually that's exactly when these rules apply. The queue should form in both lanes, and one car from each lane should proceed alternately.

Despite numerous people on this thread telling you otherwise you still don't get it do you. It is the way of most drivers to que patiently and then get upset with people who try to push back it. You will never change peoples feelings about this. The only way round it is to change the design of the road.

I'm not going to say anymore on this because my head is now hurting from banging it against the wall!

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but the problem I have on the A61 (coming to Tankersley from the motorway junction) with people "pushing in" is that I leave a gap in front of me so people can merge, but mostly they drive past so they can get right to the front (i.e. where the lanes actually merge) instead of dropping into the gap I've left a few cars back from the merge.

In which case, it's just people being arrogant and thinking they shouldn't have to queue like the rest of us...

Nobody has right of way. You are supposed to merge in turn from each queue.

People in the left lane who dont do this are stupid, selfish and breaking the rules of the highway code.

Despite numerous people on this thread telling you otherwise you still don't get it do you. It is the way of most drivers to que patiently and then get upset with people who try to push back it. You will never change peoples feelings about this. The only way round it is to change the design of the road.

I'm not going to say anymore on this because my head is now hurting from banging it against the wall!

If most drivers are stupid enough to sit in a mile long queue while there is a perfectly good lane to use then that's there own fault. The road doesn't need redesigning, it needs the idiots in the left lane to know the rules of the highway code, know how to use the road correctly and not cause congestion all the way back to coisley hill.

Despite numerous people on this thread telling you otherwise you still don't get it do you.

There is nothing to get. The Highway Code states explicitly to queue in both lanes and merge in turn.