What is people in Sheffield's problem with merge in turn lanes?

I think its the fact that you have been stood for 15-20 mins in the left lane and some clever clogs flies up the outside lane then why Should you let them in? wait their turn like the rest of the que

What's clever about using the empty lane that goes where you want to go?

It's clever than the idiots queuing for no reason.

The idiots on here who take pleasure in not allowing you to merge are more than likely the sort of drivers who will trundle along in their queue and totally ignore drivers who are trying to get out or turn into junctions and drive on oblivious.

I think these people have a lack of confidence in their driving and need to stay "uniterrupted" for as much of the journey as possible.

I don't think anyone takes pleasure out of having to hinder their own progress in order to let someone push in, when they have sat patiently and seen the said vehicle overtake many other cars in order to get to the front of a queue.

Usually i'd imagine they just feel sympathetic towards the driver, who obviously has some sort of emergency on their hands.

Alot of the time it's not a question of being a moron, but maybe the people in the left hand lane know the road, and, knowing that the right hand lane dissapears in a few hundred yards, don't see any point in pulling out, overtaking, and then looking like a prat because they then have to try and make the car they've just overtaken slow down to let them back in.

I think it's a case of being able to think ahead, and consider how your actions are going to effect the progress of everyone around you, rather than just yourself. If the vehicle in the left hand lane is much slower such as a lorry, then go for it, because you can probably get round and back in in good time, but it's obvious who the ignorant drivers are when your on the road, they're usually sat out on some chevrons wondering why no one will let them back in.

Maybe they need to clarify what merge 'in turn' means?

I am regularly in a situation at the roundabout at the bottom of White Rose Way in Doncaster where two lanes merge into one just after the roundabout, I am usualy in the left hand lane, if a vehicle comes alongside I apply a slight touch of the brakes a quick flash of the lights and the vehicle can rejoin the stream in front of me with no problems to me whatsoever and the traffic flows as intended.

Its the idiots who try to stop this happening who cause the right lane vehicle to try to "force" their way in and cause people to brake sharply.

As I said before, its poor drivers with no confidence and no awareness of others that cause these problems.

re the M1J36 -> Tankersley merging...

It's a bit of road I use everyday on my way home.

I tend to think that the people not being keen on letting folks in who have sailed past on the right feel that way because so often those same people in the right hand lane don't wait for a chance to be let in/merge, rather they tend to force their way in.

They often attempt to 'merge' (aka try and push others off the road) at the very last second while still doing 50mph, or carry on along the wrong side of the rod.

Those that use the right lane then slow/stop and wait to be let in at the merge point are usually let in without any bother.

I don't think it is the queue jumping most folks object to but the arrogance of those in the right hand lane that seem to think that their journey is so much more important than everyone else's and everyone else should get out of the way when they push in (rather than waiting for a gap).

If that is your idea of merging in turn an appropriate driving then you are as wrong as those that just queue in the left lane. Next time you're on the bit of road and use the right hand lane, think about whether your 'merge' is effectively a 'shove' or not.

I've always thought some signage instructing people to use both lanes would help and clarify the situation - especially on the A57 up to the parkway as described earlier

Yes, I agree. Signs calling for people to "merge in turn" would solve the problem kin many cases.

What I normally do especially on the a57 heading away from the parkway. While queueing in an orderly fashion in the left lane. If I spot an inconsiderate driver in my mirror who is jumping the queue in the 2nd lane. I normally am prepared with a banana skin or some food which i throw out. Thrown quite high , they dont hopefully see it till it lands on their windscreen. That should teach them a lesson not to queue jump.

I don't think it is the queue jumping most folks object to but the arrogance of those in the right hand lane that seem to think that their journey is so much more important than everyone else's and everyone else should get out of the way when they push in (rather than waiting for a gap)..

I concur.

At 'normal' times (outbound) I'll sail past a few wagons/stragglers and pull in safely and NOT leaving it 'til the lane disappears; no problem ... at rush hour the 'merge' thing is just 8ollox so I left-lane it ...

Also:-

Highway Code : 137

On a two-lane dual carriageway you should stay in the left-hand lane. Use the right-hand lane for overtaking or turning right. After overtaking, move back to the left-hand lane when it is safe to do so.

Therefore if no-one leaves you a gap (when the right-hand lane has ended DESPITE plenty of signage warning, even for newbies to that stretch) it ain't 'safe' - so now it would be YOUR turn to wait ... :wave:

Edited by Joe Momma
typo

Here lies the problem, merging in turn is recommended when coming across unexpected disruption.

It could be argued that the right hand lane on the particular road given in the OP is purely for overtaking slower moving traffic, similar to the Stocksbridge bypass.

So conducting an overtaking manoeuvre in the knowledge that it cannot be completed without causing another vehicle to brake or change direction is a little naughty.

DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example

approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road

where the road narrows

when approaching a school crossing patrol

between the kerb and a bus or tram when it is at a stop

where traffic is queuing at junctions or road works

when you would force another road user to swerve or slow down

at a level crossing

when a road user is indicating right, even if you believe the signal should have been cancelled. Do not take a risk; wait for the signal to be cancelled

stay behind if you are following a cyclist approaching a roundabout or junction, and you intend to turn left

when a tram is standing at a kerbside tram stop and there is no clearly marked passing lane for other traffic

What about one you didn't highlight - "where the road narrows"

I don't think anyone takes pleasure out of having to hinder their own progress in order to let someone push in, when they have sat patiently and seen the said vehicle overtake many other cars in order to get to the front of a queue.

The point is that nobody is "pushing in." The queue should be filling both lanes; those moving into the empty lane are driving correctly. The ones insisting on staying in the full lane and not using the empty one, are the ones in the wrong.

the right hande lane should be kept free for the right turners on to the pilley road

Isnt that what the third lane is for with the right turn arrow on it?