• Arbourthorne
    • Burngreave
    • Parson Cross
    • Wincobank
    • Manor Park
    • Darnall
    • Woodthorpe
    • City Centre

HEY !! ... why isn't ECCLESALL in the poll list for worse area ??

T020 - am I right in assuming that you are living in a (perhaps shared) student house in the sacred environs of Ecclesall?

If so, what have you got to be so smug about? Don't you know that an Englishman's home is his castle, and that people who can't afford to buy their own homes are worth less than travelling tinkers?

8) Nah Den Ace......

Originally posted by MichaelTravis

T020 - am I right in assuming that you are living in a (perhaps shared) student house in the sacred environs of Ecclesall?

If so, what have you got to be so smug about? Don't you know that an Englishman's home is his castle, and that people who can't afford to buy their own homes are worth less than travelling tinkers?

Rather, at a guess, he is still living at home with his rich Mummy and Daddy..............

Regards,

Spacehopper.

Should one be allowed to fly the flag for an area where you live by dint of someone else's spending power?

This isnt a dig, it is a question

If you live with your parents or grandparents etc in a home that they have paid for or are paying for, is your view of the best and worst places to live going to be the same as someone who is making the choice based on the contents of their own pockets?

I am not phrasing this well.

When T020 is another five years older and buying somewhere of his own, will he be able to afford Ecclesall posh end, or might he have to go and live in a little house on Ecclesall Road.

And when that happens, will his views still be the same?

Originally posted by caprice

Hmmm I wonder how old he is too...

21, I think. It was mentioned in the chat room.

21... He still has time to grow out his ignorant ways....or maybe not!

Originally posted by alchresearch

21, I think. It was mentioned in the chat room.

Mmm...I remember it well, as Maurice Chevalier sang. T'was the age that I had my first house (and mortgage).

It's also of the age when one tends to think that one knows everything - whilst, several decades later, one realises that one knows very little.

Your impetuousness and evident self-importance is forgiven T - not so sure about the snobishness though.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by caprice

Hmmm I wonder how old he is too...

I wonder that too Caprice.

He's either about 12 or about 70 is my conclusion.

He has the maturity of a 12 year old yet the bigotry which is *sometimes* displayed by older generations.

HAHHAHA! Unbelievable. I realise I'm not a popular member of this forum, but if you actually look back through the posts, it wasn't me who brought this topic back up again. When Carlworker did however, I felt obliged to prove my point. It seems that this proof is a little too much for some of you as, realising that you're in the wrong, you have turned to insults. Yes, I do live with my parents. Yes I am 21. Yes, it will be tough buying a first house. No, my views won't change. I will still know where I'd like to be living, and for me that is Fulwood, Ecclesall or Dore. No matter where I have to buy my first house, I will always still think that these areas are the best Sheffield has to offer and will be something to aspire to. If you have a problem with my views, then that is just that - YOUR problem. Also, I get branded a snob for saying what most people think anyway about the less desirable areas of Sheffield, e.g. the Manor, but the double standards that some people have shown on this are incredible. A few weeks ago some of you started laying into Kittykat in the chat room just because she is from Rotherham, and you all started insulting Rotherham as a place to live. Needless to say, she has not been on here much after that. The hypocrisy astounds me when I consider that these people were also some of the very same people who have a problem with me 'insulting' other areas of Sheffield (I won't mention any names but they know who they are).

t020, I for one welcome your opinions on the forum. Let's face it, nobody else stimulates so much discussion, and that can only be a good thing. I certainly don't agree with much of what you say, but you're entitled to your opinion, and it's always interesting to see a diverse range of people and perspectives on the forum, after all, surely that is what it's there for.

I agree with what you say about Dore, Fulwood etc being places to aspire to. However, most of us are never going to get there. Not everyone in Sheffield, no matter how hard they work, is going to end up living in a six bedroom palace on the west side, and so instead, we look for whatever benefits our less affluent areas of the city have to offer. I for example live in Woodseats, which isn't deprived, but it isn't exactly posh either. However, it has a great many benefits, such as easy access to Graves and Meersbrook Parks, several supermarkets, loads of woodland, and some very interesting places to visit like Bishop's House or Beauchief Abbey. It's good for buses, there isn't much crime, and it's not too far from town. As I don't drive (out of choice, not because I'm poor), these things are important to me. Granted, if I win the lottery jackpot, I'd probably move somewhere more affluent, but until then, I'd say that I feel very lucky to live where I do.

And LET'S PUT THINGS INTO PERSPECTIVE PEOPLE!!! Sheffield has it's problem areas, but nobody's in any danger of treading on a landmine, being shot by fundamentalists or whatever. This city has to be one of the richest and safest in the world, no matter if you live in Ecclesall, Woodseats, Gleadless or God forbid, Ecclesall Road, so thank your stars!!

Out of curiosity t020, let's say hypothetically, that your life didn't turn out the way you planned, and you ended up living in one of the less pleasant areas of the city, with no hope of ever making it back into one of the areas that you aspire to live in (let's face it, nothing in life is certain, apart from death and taxes), how would this affect you, and how would you feel about people making comments like some that you have posted?

Again, I'd like to point out that I'm criticsing nobody. I just like a good discussion, and I'm interested in everyone's opinion, contraverstial or otherwise. Also, sorry about this, but I can't remember what this thread was about, so apologies if I've gone off on one unnecessarily...

Funky Dave - I have no problem with people having pride in their own areas (afterall, I do, though people seem to object to this). However, I object to being told that the area I live in extends a further 2.5 miles down the road right up to the edge of the town centre when it clearly doesn't! I'm not saying Ecclesall Rd is bad or good, but its not in Ecclesall, and I won't have people telling me that I live in the same area as people living near the Classic Rock Bar, half the diameter across the city! Its not on, I have every right to object to incorrect statements, and believe I have proved my point on many occasions, yet still people keep bringing the topic back up! I also have a problem with peoples hypocrisy (see my previous post in this thread). Finally, there is also the fact that people show discrimination against me because of where I live, whilst slating me for saying a lot of people on the Manor are yobs. They assume that because I live where I do that I'm a spoiled rich kid and that my parents give me loads of money. This is on a par with assuming all council estate residents are criminals and druggies. Again, double standards.