• Arbourthorne
    • Burngreave
    • Parson Cross
    • Wincobank
    • Manor Park
    • Darnall
    • Woodthorpe
    • City Centre

me and my friend were talking about this a bout a year ago...we thought it must be one of the only areas of sheffield that doesnt have a name...youve got city centre/sharrow at one end, hunters bar at the other and broomhill and broomhall on one other side but the middle bit where all the students and shops are doesnt seem to be called anything...is that bit maybe just called Ecclesall Road?

the ultimate must have been when i was doing deliveries down there and someone (must have been a student didnt even know their own address and gave it as some .....road, ecclesall (as in the place past banner cross)

Originally posted by alchresearch

So what is the name of the area of Ecclesall Road where the students live? Sharrow is the nearest place according to Ordnance Survey.

The 'proper' suburb of Ecclesall, which T020 said, is miles away, beyond Greystones and Brincliffe.

Exactly, which is what I've been trying to get through to people.

According to the Governments latest (2000) Index of Multiple Deprivation the worst areas are as follows the (lower the figure the more deprived it is).

Southey Green/Parsons Cross 43

Burngreave 60

Manor 76

Park Hill 98

These figures are their rankings out of the 8414 council areas in England. Incidentally Ecclesall was the least deprived. Sheffield was 60 most deprived as a local authority as a whole.

You can get the full list by putting Index of Multiple Deprivation in google and then looking for sheffield.

Originally posted by gloworm

You can get the full list by putting Index of Multiple Deprivation in google and then looking for sheffield.

Cool! 8)

I'm going to see how badly Liverpool does... :twisted:

Originally posted by The Cycleracer

You don,t live on the Manor or Pitsmoor if your earning 100k a year because you can afford better, although i doubt that any council area has a resident earning anywhere near that amount so we have to live somewhere and thats a council area like it or not.

up. [/b]

Sorry to revive this somewhat old topic!

Not everybody in Pitsmoor is a council tenant, and I know of a number of businessmen there earning in excess of £100k a year aswell, who choose not to move because of their close family there - for example Firshill (I know of a particularly wealthy gentleman there, along with his family as one example) - Infact closer to home, I can afford 'better' but being in the position I am I feel that at this time that 'better' is far far over valued and not reflective of its true financial worth. In addition I know peopke in more 'affluent' areas earning far less that some of the folk I know locally. That isnt to say that people in more affluent areas collectively earn less, because thats not true, however if affordability was the only factor, I know a fair few people here who should be in Whirlow/Dore. Given, council tenants may not be in the same position, but thats the whole point of social housing isn't it, giving people somewhere to live - its sad that the minority take the **** with it and have no respect for anybody else's living, and thats the root of the problem.

As for schooling, I went to a "failed" school you might say, but worked hard and came out okay, got into college, through that and into University. I also did 6th Form at High Storrs (a more affluent School?) and never before have I met such capable students bull**** their talent away so quickly - many of those who I knew from then are now on the dole. What I am saying is, its not what your parents earn, or neccessarily where you learn, but if you got the heart and mind to make something of yourself you will do it no matter where you are or what the circumstances.

I know that at some point, despite my liking for my area I will move onto pastures new. But in doing so, I won't forget where I came from, and as opposed to those who simply move out and glad they have rid themselves of the past, I fully intend to reinvest in this area and do my level best to ensure this area is on par with many of the other nicer areas in Sheffield, a direction which I believe has started already. In attaining my future position as a surveyor / property consultant I don't want to turn my back on those locals who have given me support over the years, at times when it was most required.

If Sheffielders have set ideas on areas just because of previous experience, some of which date many years, then I feel (as I have always felt) the way forward is to seek external investment (new blood) into these areas to enhance its appeal. You may think that the asylum seekers are all doing nothing but sapping benefits, but you overlook those who have opened businesses, found work far more quickly that those who have lived in these areas for many years, and have made an effort to integrate and contribute to their communities. Other folk from surrounding cities buying property as investments, or to move into Sheffield are whats needed to revive such places and install the roots to a heathy economy if we can get them all working and increasing their household incomes, so that they can spend locally and on their properties, especially if the mentalities of some of the more local folk are destined never to change.

1Man&HisBMW

8) Nah Den Ace.........

Have we lost a couple of related threads - "What do you associate with Ecclesall?" and t020's one about the "other half"? They were funny as f***! If they were deleted by the mods, then who is moderating the moderators? Do we really need to have the decision what and what not to read taken for us? And if we do, an explanatory note would make the Moderators and their decisions more accountable, and may also allay Little Hitler and Big Brother type of accusations.

Originally posted by Spacehopper

Have we lost a couple of related threads - "What do you associate with Ecclesall?" and t020's one about the "other half"? They were funny as ****! If they were deleted by the mods, then who is moderating the moderators? Do we really need to have the decision what and what not to read taken for us? And if we do, an explanatory note would make the Moderators and their decisions more accountable, and may also allay Little Hitler and Big Brother type of accusations.

They are now back and were only temporarily removed. In the future please PM myself or a moderator if you are ever concerned about the whereabouts of a thread, it would get you a quicker reponse and better than using someone else's topic.

Well I have read through this thread and can honestly say it has made me feel like ****. :(

Yes, I live in a poor area, yes there's crime, there's drugs, but there are so, so, so many things that are better than when I lived in Broomhill.

We have an incredible mix of cultures, nationalities and languages here. We TALK to each other. We smile and say hello as we pass strangers. We know the staff in the local shops who always care about how you are.

I like where I live, mostly. It's far from perfect but there's enough of it for me to like, to stay here.

And yes, I can't afford to live anywhere else. But I'm here and I'm making the most of it.

Then I read people's comments about council housing. How can you make a judgement about ME based on my postcode? How can you tell me what it's like to live here when you're in ****ing Ecclesall.

Yes you have tree lined streets. Woo hoo.

I've lived in places with tree lined streets and never even had my next door neighbour say hello to me.

And YOU judge ME because of where I live? You make me feel like something you've trodden in because you're living on a different bus route (yes I use buses. I don't own a car. I can't afford one, and even if I could I wouldn't use one. They're awful things).

How dare you make me feel so bad about myself?

You go Girl!!

Spacehopper... I live on the Manor Park centre, well nice place and very nice people, minority spoil it but I love it!

Chloé

I must admit, the feeling of community round here is rather nice. I live in a "bad area" thanks to student budget, but the people are good, kind and friendly despite all sorts of differences :)

Originally posted by alchresearch

So what is the name of the area of Ecclesall Road where the students live? Sharrow is the nearest place according to Ordnance Survey.

The 'proper' suburb of Ecclesall, which T020 said, is miles away, beyond Greystones and Brincliffe.

I lived just off Eccleshall Road (Southgrove Road) in the 70's and never regarded it as coming under any particular area. It was just Eccleshall Road, an area on it's own. It definitely isn't Eccleshall, which is miles away out near Bents Green.

I'm suprised no one voted for Park Hill.

The manor ain't that bad. One of me sisters friends lives on there and she says that at first she was broken into alot but now they just leave her alone and she's like one of the family.

Even so I still feel afraid walking around there. I do in quite a few places though.

Yup sorry to say it guys but I think that Dore and Totley are snobby. Actually Nether Edge used to be too. I'm not sure if it still is.

All I know is, I walked down to Hunter's Bar with my dogs yesterday and I smiled at the people down there and they look at you as if your trying to rob them!!

:loopy:

Geez if I was gonna kidnap someone I'd pick someone sexy for crying out loud!! :bigsmile: