What age should children start doing chores..

i was asking because ive been told im asking to much of my 5 and 3yr old.

I get them both to tidy up any toys, make own beds, put dirty clothes in the wash basket and clean own plate.

Would you say im expecting to much??

nope, carry on as you are, ignore those people!

i think young as possible. And keep it fun for them. Give then stars or sticker's the sooner you get then doing it the stifle they become somebody and have a meaning 2 life.

I'm with you 100% here.

The baby in the photo below is only five months old but has already had a mop head glued to his romper suit in order that he can bring the floors to a wonderful shine whilst mooching around the family home.

:)

Here.

As soon as they're able to carry a bowl, I don't think there's anything wrong with asking them to help carry their stuff to the kitchen.

My child (almost 7) tidies her room, put her toys away, clears her plate/bowl after she's eaten, helps unload the dishwasher, puts washing into the washer or dryer, does occasional bits of hoovering, and we also have a push-style lawnmower that she likes to have a go with. Not al the time, and they're not all "her jobs" but we ask her to join in and help with the general household jobs. She's also in charge of replacing toilet rolls. And I have to say, she LOVES having jobs to do!

I think it encourages responsibility and independence. And it doesn't hurt them to know just how hard parents work!!

Besides which, I saw waaaay too many students sent out into the world on their own without the foggiest clue how to look after themselves. Surely this is a terrible form of parenting? Producing a child incapable of existing without depending on mummy for their washing or food? Very sad :-(

My 8 year old son has been helping out for a few years now. I expect him to make his bed,keep his room tidy, take his pots back to the kitchen and put in dishwasher and other light tasks that I ask of him. He also helps out with his brother who is almost 1 so I can make tea etc and he loves having a bit of responsibility. He gets a small amount of pocket money and I think its important that children learn the value of money by earning it.

I get them both to tidy up any toys, make own beds, put dirty clothes in the wash basket and clean own plate.

I think as long as they see it a normal part of their daily routene (like brushing teeth, combing hair ect) and not as a chore I think it is a good thing.

That way you get to spend more time with them as your not stuck in the kitchen tidying up their mess.

Keep it fun and make sure they know how much you appreciate their help.

Oh dear. I'm 19 years old and didn't do any of that!

I think I have been mothered to much lol.

All my kids (2,5 and 7) put toys away, put plates in the kitchen. The 5 and 7 yr old have the job of bringing the washing down from upstairs to the washing machine before they go to bed (they have great fun lobbing it down the stairs) Thats all they do though :)

No, sounds reasonable to me.

My 3 year old puts her toys away, washing in a basket. She likes laying the table at meal times & loading the washing machine.

She does always seem to come down with a tummy ache at toy tidying time tho :roll:

my children are 2 and 5 and i always get them to help, i also explain that if they make a mess they cant expect to leave it for someone else. I feel it does them no harm they actualy respect and appriciate things more, plus this will help them later on in life.

My 12 yr old does a lot round the house and has done she was 7 or 8. I remember speaking to some mothers at school about her doing chores, dishes sometimes but hoovering most of the time. They were horrified, I couldn't understand their concern about her using electrical equipment, it's a hoover for goodness sake.

The same people were freaked out when I said she was allowed to make toast using the toaster.

Now at 12 she can do any of the household chores (she doesn't do them all but she could if asked) Obviously she grumbles about tidying up but it's part of family life.

My 2 yr old takes her own bowl/cup/plate to teh kitchen, she puts her own rubbish in the bin, puts her dirty clothes in basket and tidies her toys away.

I think teaching our children how to be self sufficient is part of what our roles as parents is.