Unlucky players to miss out off world cup squad but who?

You're missing the point. He doesn't make much difference against anybody, but having him wasting a space makes the team as a whole play better. Nobody has ever explained why, but the results bear it out. We're a better team with Heskey in it and only 10 useful players, than we are with 11 good ones.

No, i'm not. If you are saying Heskey playing makes England as a whole play better, then surely you are saying he is effective, he makes things happens, he does something. If he doesn't make the difference then why pick him, it must be luck that we get better results with him in the team?

My point isn't that Heskey is useless and I have no idea why he is picked, that's not what I have said. I can see that he does cause problems for sides with his strength and power and is a good foil for Rooney. However like I have said, against the better sides I don't think he will have as much impact as playing Rooney up top with people supporting from midfield.

I thought King would have been good, but i changed my mind after the Mexico game, he looked dodgy to say the least, players like Messi will slaughter him.

Rio Ferdinand looks rocky aswell, infact theres only Ashley Cole who fills me with any real confidence.

The back in my opinion is very worrying.

I thought King would have been good, but i changed my mind after the Mexico game, he looked dodgy to say the least, players like Messi will slaughter him.

Rio Ferdinand looks rocky aswell, infact theres only Ashley Cole who fills me with any real confidence.

The back in my opinion is very worrying.

Yeah King didn't look good but with Dawson not even getting a run out I don't think he's in Capello's plans.

Ferdinand has looked Shaky a number of times this year and unfortunately so has Terry. A year ago you would have thought that was a world class partnership at the back but now it could prove a weak point. Add in the fact that Glen Johnson has still not ironed out his defensive frailties and we have potential problems.

Yeah King didn't look good but with Dawson not even getting a run out I don't think he's in Capello's plans.

Ferdinand has looked Shaky a number of times this year and unfortunately so has Terry. A year ago you would have thought that was a world class partnership at the back but now it could prove a weak point. Add in the fact that Glen Johnson has still not ironed out his defensive frailties and we have potential problems.

I agree there, Glenn Johnson is hit and miss, but on his day he is effective and can be dangerous down the flank.

Dawson may struggle experiance wise but how can you get that experiance if you don't play.

I don't understand how within a year Terry and Ferdinand can go so downhill, i know both have had various personal problems but that shouldn't make a you a bad player, if it has its very un professional on there part.

I think the old chant should come in this world cup ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK lol, they always say its the best form of defence.

Just another point i hope they arnt under estimating the USA from what i have been reading they are well up for this and are a decent little outfit.

They reached the quarter finals in 2002 and some people in America reckon they could get to the semi finals.

I agree there, Glenn Johnson is hit and miss, but on his day he is effective and can be dangerous down the flank.

Dawson may struggle experiance wise but how can you get that experiance if you don't play.

I don't understand how within a year Terry and Ferdinand can go so downhill, i know both have had various personal problems but that shouldn't make a you a bad player, if it has its very un professional on there part.

I think the old chant should come in this world cup ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK lol, they always say its the best form of defence.

Just another point i hope they arnt under estimating the USA from what i have been reading they are well up for this and are a decent little outfit.

They reached the quarter finals in 2002 and some people in America reckon they could get to the semi finals.

Johnson's great going forward but his concentration and positional play at the back sometimes lets him down. I don't think he is a liability in that he is definitely going to let us down, it's just the chances of him making a mistake are higher than you would like at that level.

Dawson's lack of experience will certainly not help his cause and the World Cup is a big stage to try to gain experience. I think him or King would only be going as cover anyway but I prefer Dawson.

Speaking of inexperience, have you seen Italy's provisional 28? The Goalie (Buffon) has a hundred caps, the other 3 GK's have 7 caps between. 3 of the defenders have between 28 and 132 caps but the other 5 have 16 caps between them. Then up front the leading scorer is Gilardino with 16 in 39 but the other 6 have 21 goals in 108 games. There's more experience in midfield (nobody with a better than 1 in 8 goals record though) and of course the Italians aren't renowned as a side that scores 5 a game, but I still think these boys look weak on paper this time round.

Our group could be a blessing for Terry and Ferdinand to get their act together as although it shouldn't be easy, they aren't up against any world class forwards at this stage. All 3 of the other teams in our group will be well up for it as the draw has been fairly kind to them as well. They will all fancy their chances of going through as they only need to come 2nd so even a draw against England should be a good result for them - 2 draws and a win should see you through so it's all to play for.

Johnson's great going forward but his concentration and positional play at the back sometimes lets him down. I don't think he is a liability in that he is definitely going to let us down, it's just the chances of him making a mistake are higher than you would like at that level.

Dawson's lack of experience will certainly not help his cause and the World Cup is a big stage to try to gain experience. I think him or King would only be going as cover anyway but I prefer Dawson.

Speaking of inexperience, have you seen Italy's provisional 28? The Goalie (Buffon) has a hundred caps, the other 3 GK's have 7 caps between. 3 of the defenders have between 28 and 132 caps but the other 5 have 16 caps between them. Then up front the leading scorer is Gilardino with 16 in 39 but the other 6 have 21 goals in 108 games. There's more experience in midfield (nobody with a better than 1 in 8 goals record though) and of course the Italians aren't renowned as a side that scores 5 a game, but I still think these boys look weak on paper this time round.

Our group could be a blessing for Terry and Ferdinand to get their act together as although it shouldn't be easy, they aren't up against any world class forwards at this stage. All 3 of the other teams in our group will be well up for it as the draw has been fairly kind to them as well. They will all fancy their chances of going through as they only need to come 2nd so even a draw against England should be a good result for them - 2 draws and a win should see you through so it's all to play for.

If England start the tournament on the front foot i cannot see why they shouldn't progress pretty far.

If they can get through the group stages there one off games, i know its obvious but if they can perform who's to say they can't make the final.

England for all there knockers have "winners" in there team, James, Cole, Ferdinand, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Carragher, Johnson, Carrick, Cole, Wright Philips, Heskey, Rooney have all won trophies so why not the world cup.

I think the last two friendlies have put a downer on things a little but people need to realise that number 1, there not going to play 100% with the world cup only day's away, and number 2, both games were bit part teams which wont be the starting line up come the first game v the USA.

Big tournaments like this can be hard to predict, theres always a surprise package, who incidentally i think will be the Ivory Coast.

Who would have thought Greece would have won the Euros i certainly didn't.

If England start the tournament on the front foot i cannot see why they shouldn't progress pretty far.

If they can get through the group stages there one off games, i know its obvious but if they can perform who's to say they can't make the final.

England for all there knockers have "winners" in there team, James, Cole, Ferdinand, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Carragher, Johnson, Carrick, Cole, Wright Philips, Heskey, Rooney have all won trophies so why not the world cup.

I think the last two friendlies have put a downer on things a little but people need to realise that number 1, there not going to play 100% with the world cup only day's away, and number 2, both games were bit part teams which wont be the starting line up come the first game v the USA.

Big tournaments like this can be hard to predict, theres always a surprise package, who incidentally i think will be the Ivory Coast.

Who would have thought Greece would have won the Euros i certainly didn't.

I think we have a good chance and the weather should help quite a bit as well. We didn't play that well in these friendlies but let's not forget that a larger than usual number of changes were made to the line ups (obviously Capello had to do this to finalise his 23) so it's hard to get cohesion going. I think Adrian Chiles said that our last game before Italia '90 was a 2-1 defeat at home to Uruguay and the Italy's last warm up before '06 was a draw with Saudi Arabia, and they won it. So yeah warmups are a useful barometer and only that and we weren't THAT bad - in fact in the 2nd halves we looked decent.

Tricky group for Ivory Coast but they only need to come 2nd to progress so they have a good chance of going through. Have you had any kind of bet on them?

Tricky group for Ivory Coast but they only need to come 2nd to progress so they have a good chance of going through. Have you had any kind of bet on them?

I havent really had a look on the betting side of things yet for the world cup, i will be putting some on the betting tip thread though within the next few days, aswell as some throughout the tournament for each game.

Who I think will miss out.

Warnock, Dawson, Upson, Parker, Huddlestone, A.Johnson, Bent

Liabilities- James, Green, Johnson, Baines, King, Carrick, Walcott, Heskey

Will do a steady job - Ferdinand, Carragher, Lampard, Wright-Phillips, Lennon,Milner, Cole.J, Barry, Defoe, Crouch

First names on the sheet- Hart, Terry, Cole.A, Gerrard, Rooney

Personally I wouldn't take Walcott but would take Adam Johnson, but just can't see it happening.

Jim

Loads of England players have won trophies - add up English players who have won the Prem - and the old first division - the FA Cup - the European Cup even - you're talking well over a thousand.

Number of England players who have won the World Cup - the 1966 squad and...................:huh:

Edited by Longcol