Unlucky players to miss out off world cup squad but who?

I'd take an extra defender so there is cover for every player, I think it's tempting fate not to take cover for Ashley Cole.

GK

James, Hart, Green

DEF

A. Cole, Warnock, Terry, Ferdinand, King, Upson, Carragher, G. Johnson.

MID

J.Cole, Wright-Phillips, Lampard, Gerrard, Barry, Milner, Lennon, Walcott

FWD

Rooney, Crouch, Defoe, ...........

I can't decide between Heskey and Bent. Heskey's had a shocking season, but England play well when he plays. Bent, had a superb season, but I've never seen England play well when he's on the pitch.

I was also tempted to loose a wide man and bring Carrick into the squad insead, as Gerrard has been playing well out wide for England. I'm also tempted to play Gerrard or Joe Cole as a link striker and not pick Bent or Hesky and pick Carrick instead.

i think carragher's versatility would be more than adequate backup

i think carragher's versatility would be more than adequate backup

I remember Phil Neville being the utility player in the Euro 2000 tournament. He ended up playing left back in the final game, and gave away a penalty in the last 10 mins which knocked us out.

That memory has scarred me! I'd need a replacement.

We're still awaiting the announcement. The last rumour was that is was going to be announced at 3pm as there was a problem contacting some of the players, but there is still nothing.

I think the squads have to be confirmed today, but I don't know what time.

We're still awaiting the announcement. The last rumour was that is was going to be announced at 3pm as there was a problem contacting some of the players, but there is still nothing.

I think the squads have to be confirmed today, but I don't know what time.

What the hell are the players doing that is stopping them from being contacted :confused: I'd have my phone set to the highest volume and connected to a flashing disco ball so that I knew for certain when it was ringing. At least we don't have to wait too much longer though.

I remember Phil Neville being the utility player in the Euro 2000 tournament. He ended up playing left back in the final game, and gave away a penalty in the last 10 mins which knocked us out.

That memory has scarred me! I'd need a replacement.

thankfully, jamie carragher is NOT phil neville!

So it looks like Gerrard will pay out wide, maybe on the right with Joe Cole on the left, as there are only wide players, Joe Cole included.

I think Lennon and Milner will be pushing for a place in the starting line up but I think it will depend on whether Barry is fit as to whether Gerrard starts in the centre or out left. If Barry's fit I think it'll be him and Lampard in the middle, with Gerrard on the left and Lennon, Milner or Cole on the right (hopefully Lennon).