Garden fires official rules

Bonfires should be banned outright and ne'er lit

Why?

Because a few people can't sort out between themselves like grown-ups, a way to dispose of certain garden waste without inconveniencing each other, preferring to rant and stamp their feet instead of sensibly compromising or perhaps wrapping some tatties up in foil, cracking a few tins and making it a neighbourly, social activity.

It's funny how the OP was answered correctly on the first page, but people are still posting random (and wrong) answers on the 2nd.

It's true that the poster was seeking a specific answer and received it early on, but I trust that he/she wouldn't object to the subject being expanded a little so everyone interested can give their opinions and criticisms.

Indeed, but you can still be wrong, for example if you claim that you can't legally have a bonfire before 1900.

As long as its not causing a nuisance to your neighbours or the smoke is not interfering with traffic there wont be a problem, I usually wait till late in the evening when the neighbours have got there washing in and windows closed. Stay away from burning stuff that smokes alot like damp garden waste etc aswell

...you can't legally have a bonfire before 1900.

sadly all my bonfires have been since 2002!

seriously though, i always try to wait till dusk so folks are less likley to be sat out, and on a still-ish day so the wind doesnt take the smoke across the road and gardens. I also let the neighbours know if they have wasshinhg out or windows open. A big burn-up is great of a dark evening.

However, i would prefer to have a green bin. I shred and compost as much garden waste as I can, and take wood scaps to the dump (erm, Recycling Centre) but why cant this council get a grip with kerbsisde collections!!

does anyone know the ruling about when you are allowed to have a garden fire

I think it's normal practice to have them when it's windy and your neighbours have their washing out so it ends up smelling of smoke. At least that what my neighbours seem to think.

The only rules/laws that apply to having a garden fire are those that concern it being a nuisance and those involving smoke creating a hazard on a road.

To be classified as a 'nuisance' takes a number of fires over a period of time.

I have not seen any examples, but it is sometimes possible for a tenancy agreement to have more specific requirements.

I have heard of, but not seen, "Good Neighbour Agreements" referred to within some TARAs.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/environmental-health/pollution/air-pollution/smoke/bonfires

Edited by cgksheff

this day and age they shouldnt be allowed full stop, I never have the need for a fire and nor should anyone else

You can only burn bodies on a weekend after six :D

Sir Yes Sir!

Little presumptuous there aren't you, to assume that no-one else should need a fire.

well peaople are paying over £400 a year to tax a polluting 4x4 yet you can polute the air willy nilly by burning rubbish? :huh:

this day and age they shouldnt be allowed full stop, I never have the need for a fire and nor should anyone else
You're right, if you don't need to light a garden fire, everyone else being the same as you surely cannot justify needing to either...

One has to wonder sometimes...