Garden fires official rules

No, I'm saying that if someone has a fire going and you don't like the smoke, then close your windows.

I'm pretty sure that I didn't use the words inconsiderate idiot, although I could have used the words arrogant idiot with reference to your post where you think that because you don't need to do something that nobody does.

but why does walking down London road harm the environment? :huh:

It's your concern for the environment that's motivating you now is it.

I don't feel the need to turn the heating on in the winter and neither should anybody else, particularly you.

I don't feel the need to turn the heating on in the winter and neither should anybody else, particularly you.

She is called AmyRad for a reason above and beyond your line of thinking whirlwind

what you on about?:huh:

what you on about?:huh:

I thought the same :huh::huh: MEH teh ???

................if you have your windows open on a hot day/night, the smell of wood etc cling to your furnishings far more than BBQ's. I still stand by what I said , they are anti social.

Nowt like a good bonfire lolol anti social my bottom lolol we was all brought up to have one get a grip hetty wintrope

does anyone know the ruling about when you are allowed to have a garden fire

Bonfires and Burning Rubbish

Garden bonfires and burning other rubbish can sometimes cause problems if not carried out with care.

Our experience shows that the sporadic nature of nuisances of this type and the times of day that they occur make it very unlikely that the nuisance will be witnessed by one of our officers during a random call within normal working hours, it is also difficult for our officers to respond to calls to witness smoke nuisance. To overcome this difficulty and to get the investigation underway we will need your help and this guide explains how we can work together.

The guide also gives advice on other aspect on dealing with neighbour nuisance including informal approaches, mediation and instigating your own legal proceedings. Though we are happy to investigate your complaint, it is often more satisfactory if disputes can be resolved informally between neighbours. For the benefit of relations with your neighbours and any future legal proceedings it is strongly advised that you consider this approach.

For those of you in accommodation rented from the Housing Department or a Housing Association, where the person causing you a problem is also a tenant, it may be that your landlord may be able to help and you should make appropriate enquiries there.

We hope that you will find the information helpful. If you require any further advice or help or if you feel that you are unable to complete the records please do not hesitate to contact us and we will do our best to help.

Bonfire Nuisance and how to deal with it - Bonfires and the Law

It is a common misconception that there are specific by-laws to prohibit bonfires ¡ there are not. An outright ban would be difficult to enforce and very occasionally a bonfire is the best practical way to dispose of garden waste. If used sensitively the occasional bonfire should not cause a major problem. However, where a neighbour is causing a problem by burning rubbish, the law can be used for your protection.

What is a Nuisance?

A nuisance can be described as something happening on one premises which is significantly interfering with the enjoyment of another premises.

The important point in this simple definition, is that the interference has to be significant. We all must realise that living in society we must put up with some inconvenience.

Most nuisance are dealt with under civil law however the Environmental Protection 1990 defines a number of statutory nuisances these include:

Smoke, fumes or gasses emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance.

This definition can cover garden bonfires, burning domestic rubbish, burning commercial waste.

Smoke being emitted from chimneys is dealt with under separate legislation.

In practice to be considered to be a statutory nuisance a bonfire would have to be a persistent problem interfering substantially with your wellbeing, comfort or enjoyment of your property.

Although statutory investigation can be undertaken an informal approach to your neighbour would normally be the first step.

How to Take Action

How to take informal action

The use of mediation services

When an informal approach fails

Instituting legal proceedings - What the Council will do to help

How can I do it myself?

How to get a Court hearing

What happens at the Court hearing?

What happens if the nuisance continues?

Do I need a solicitor?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to take Informal Action

First, try talking to the people responsible for the nuisance. Politely explain how it affects you and ask your neighbour to reduce the disturbance. Here are a few tips which may help.

Have a word with your neighbour before you get angry or upset. Don't wait to get 'uptight' about the problem. If you are upset wait until you are in a calmer frame of mind.

Choose a convenient time. Say "I'd like to have a word about a problem I've got, as I think you may be able to help. When would it be convenient for you?" (invite your neighbour round for coffee or tea to discuss it, for instance. He or she will be more inclined to discuss it as your guest).

Think beforehand about what you want to say. Be clear and precise about your view of the problem.

Don't lay blame or accuse your neighbour of antisocial behaviour or bad attitudes.

Never be quick to jump to assumptions about what has happened.

Never shout, use abuse, bad language or threaten retaliation.

Give your neighbour plenty of time to express his or her own views. Be patient, listen carefully, and try to understand what he or she is actually saying - don't assume you already know what he or she thinks.

Be prepared to accept differences in attitudes, ways of life, etc. 'Live & let live', but be firm about those activities that cause inconvenience or harm. Let your neighbour say what he or she thinks, but don't be afraid to make your own views clear as well.

Take the view that together you can sort the problem out and still remain on good terms. Be open to suggestions as to how the problem may be resolved.

Don't assume that the first idea that comes into your head will be the best one - it may suit you but if it is inconvenient to your neighbour it probably won't work.

Bring all the relevant issues into the open from the start. Don't keep the awkward bits hidden, or your neighbour may think that it is less of a problem that it really is.

Be careful not to bring in matters that are not relevant to the immediate problem - like how your neighbour held a noisy house-warming party ten years ago but you didn't like to say anything at the time.

Be reasonable. If your neighbour offers to make concessions or put him or herself out see if you can do the same, but don't rush to an unsatisfactory agreement just because you feel embarrassed about having a conflict. Both of you must feel entirely happy with the result if it is to work.

If this approach doesn't work, then make a note of the fact that you have approached the person and their date and the response. Then put your complaint in writing to your neighbour in polite terms, again requesting a reduction in disturbance. You should allow at least two weeks for your neighbour to consider your request and take action. Copies of any letters should be kept for future reference.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The use of Mediation Services

If your informal approach fails, or you feel that you cannot approach your neighbours directly, you may find that the situation is helped by the use of a mediation service.

We are lucky that in Sheffield we have such a service, which is known as MESH, the Sheffield Community Mediation Service. The service is designed to assist neighbours to resolve conflicts, it is free, impartial, independent and confidential, and it has a good track record of success.

The MESH mediators act as go-betweens for the disputing parties and aim to reach a satisfactory outcome, or at least to open a channel of communication that will allow differences to be discussed without conflict.

Threads merged

Do you think next time shedevil that you could post a link instead of an unattributed and massive cut and paste.

Do you think next time shedevil that you could post a link instead of an unattributed and massive cut and paste.

do you have to be so rude to everyone?:huh:

It is illegal to light a fire in your garden except between the hours of 5pm and 10pm on November 5th (or the nearest Saturday to November 5th)

Cars are permited to be burned only withint the confines of The Manor Estate, Sheffield

ooooooooooooooo pardon me lolol well I thought as someone Had posted the link and obviously not taken it in I thought a cut and paste would be far easy but hey ho I still say nowt like a good fire lolololol

Edited by shedevil