Proposals for a new Tesco in Halfway

To all the idiots that are complaining about the detrimental effect on local wildlife, what do you think all the houses down there were built on ??

Ruddy hypocrites... :rant:

Not hypocritical at all.

OK so the wildlife was destroyed/disturbed during past developments. It shouldn't have happened and does NOT make it right. However it did happen and there is little we can do about it now.

Does that make it OK for us to destroy what little remains?! Absolutely not. We should be protecting what little green space we have left rather than striving to live in a drab, grey, concrete jungle.

I live in Killamarsh so will not be directly affected by the building/development, and whilst I am not opposed to Tesco in general, I do not see the point in building a huge new supermarket on this site. It is totally the wrong place for it and entry/exit will be a nightmare for its customers, never mind the residents. If they really want to improve choice in the area, could they not turn an existing empty shop unit into an Express/Metro store?

Not sure why people are still saying that a new Tesco will affect local traders?

Surely the impact on local traders would have been felt when Sainsburys and Morrisons opened?

I can't see anyone opting for Tesco over local shops if they haven't already opted for Sainsburys and/or Morrisons?

Could possibly understand it if the new supermarket were a Netto/Aldi/Lidl competing at the cheap end but not Tesco?

The straw that broke the camel's back perhaps?!

Personally, I get a veg box delivered, do a monthly online Tesco shop, and then go to Co-Op or Morrisons for other bits & pieces, however if Morrisons are out of stock on an item I will get it from the local shops. I'm sure there are many people like me, and if I can get the item without making a detour, I am inherently lazy and will do so...

well put Sheff Minx.... totally agree with you on the point you were making! we need to look at our quality of life now, its not too late to change. the land would be better put to use as allotments and let people that want to have a go at growing their own produce. And i have got my own allotment so not touting for a bit of earth before you ask! why not put that suggestion forward, its far more environmentally friendly than the planned store. what could be better than fresh produce on your doorstep being sold to you by people you know,you could have your own free range hens and eggs, how about that?

well put Sheff Minx.... totally agree with you on the point you were making! we need to look at our quality of life now, its not too late to change. the land would be better put to use as allotments and let people that want to have a go at growing their own produce. And i have got my own allotment so not touting for a bit of earth before you ask! why not put that suggestion forward, its far more environmentally friendly than the planned store. what could be better than fresh produce on your doorstep being sold to you by people you know,you could have your own free range hens and eggs, how about that?

Are we still living in the 1950's?

ummm.... the argument is that they are taking the land away from the wildlife, wouldnt your proposal to turn the land into allotments do the exact same thing? :loopy:

Edited by dink

ummm.... the argument is that they are taking the land away from the wildlife, wouldnt you proposal to turn the land into allotments do the exact same thing? :loopy:

This whole thing just goes to prove that nobody gives a stuff about the Greater Crested Newt or whatever it is until Tesco rears its "ugly head".

I would place money on the fact half as many people would be up in arms about this if it was Waitrose who had applied for planning permission.

ummm.... the argument is that they are taking the land away from the wildlife, wouldnt your proposal to turn the land into allotments do the exact same thing? :loopy:

i suppose that it would seem that way, but wildlife has a tendancy to settle in and go where it wants. it can still eat your peas and munch through your carrots and generally live side by side to a certain extent. hard bricks and mortar is a little harder to deal with, dont you think? we have badgers that still make their way through our allotments and its great when you see their footprints all over the place. it was just a suggestion, some people may think it a good idea or a nicer alternative anyway!! which would you rather have if you were in the same situation?

Miss 1889 'I too have lived in Halfway all my life'

Not yet you haven't.

My god, this forum just gets better and better!

Put down your keyboard and consider getting a life....... Or does picking faults off peoples posts give you a sense of authority?

Pathetic!