Proposals for a new Tesco in Halfway

I live at Halfway, and we dont have any local traders :huh: unless the local paper shop is what is classed as the local trader?

How local is local? We have Crystal Peaks, which is 15 minutes' healthy walk away from us, and probably a little further from you. You also have Mosborough village. Maybe that's what they call your "local traders."

How local is local? We have Crystal Peaks, which is 15 minutes' healthy walk away from us, and probably a little further from you. You also have Mosborough village. Maybe that's what they call your "local traders."

I would assume local is in the same area so you local shop if you lived at Halfway, would be in Halfway.

just like your local pub, is the one nearest to you.

I would assume local is in the same area so you local shop if you lived at Halfway, would be in Halfway.

That's what I would tend to think, but clearly the people claiming that "Tesco at Oxclose will harm local traders" have something further afield in mind.

From the Sheffield Star website:

'New Tesco 'eco store' plan in Sheffield.

Tesco claims the latest proposal will bring 450 jobs to Sheffield.

The blueprints for the Halfway store, which are on display tomorrow and Friday, include a number of features the company claim will make it environmentally friendly.

Plans include wind catchers, rainwater harvesting and rooflight windows that promote natural light.

Tesco says more than six acres, half the proposed site, will be retained as green field space, part of which will be set aside as a habitat zone and wildlife corridor, to help protect wildlife.

Other initiatives include planting new hedgerow and retaining the elder trees.

Matthew Magee, from Tesco, said: "This project promises an investment boost to the Halfway area through the creation of 450 jobs as well as providing several positive initiatives for the ecology and natural environment.

"This part of the city needs a wider choice of supermarket shopping and we look forward to talking with residents to work up the best proposal for the area."

The plans will go on display at Halfway Elderly People's Club on James Walton Court off Station Road tomorrow from 4pm until 8pm and on Friday between 10am and 2pm.

The public exhibition will provide detailed information on the proposals and allow residents to give their views on the plans.'

This sounds better than I had originally feared but I'll be going along tonight to get the full details. At least they recognise that there is some wildlife on the site worth protecting.

From the Sheffield Star website:

'New Tesco 'eco store' plan in Sheffield.

Tesco claims the latest proposal will bring 450 jobs to Sheffield.

The blueprints for the Halfway store, which are on display tomorrow and Friday, include a number of features the company claim will make it environmentally friendly.

Plans include wind catchers, rainwater harvesting and rooflight windows that promote natural light.

Tesco says more than six acres, half the proposed site, will be retained as green field space, part of which will be set aside as a habitat zone and wildlife corridor, to help protect wildlife.

Other initiatives include planting new hedgerow and retaining the elder trees.

Matthew Magee, from Tesco, said: "This project promises an investment boost to the Halfway area through the creation of 450 jobs as well as providing several positive initiatives for the ecology and natural environment.

"This part of the city needs a wider choice of supermarket shopping and we look forward to talking with residents to work up the best proposal for the area."

The plans will go on display at Halfway Elderly People's Club on James Walton Court off Station Road tomorrow from 4pm until 8pm and on Friday between 10am and 2pm.

The public exhibition will provide detailed information on the proposals and allow residents to give their views on the plans.'

This sounds better than I had originally feared but I'll be going along tonight to get the full details. At least they recognise that there is some wildlife on the site worth protecting.

Good post Hollifer, that should keep the "nimby's" and "tree huggers" quiet for a while.

Another plus for having a Tesco on this site is it will allow people to make more use of their weekends other than stood in ridiculous queue's in Morrisons for what seems like an eternity.

So did anyone go to the presentation this evening?

Thoughts?

So did anyone go to the presentation this evening?

Thoughts?

Would be surprised if many went. Many a keyboard warrior around these parts.

Miss 1889 'I too have lived in Halfway all my life'

Not yet you haven't.

I went to the presentation tonight. For anyone who knows the site the store will sit directly below the newest houses built by wimpy taylor and the back will pretty much run along the hedgerow that follows the footpath down the side of Deepwell Estate down towards the trees at the bottom. The front of the store will be carparking and a petrol station so in terms of greatest visual impact it is likely to be worse for those in the new houses that have just been sold those at the bottom of Heathlands facing towards the footpath that runs down that edge and those on Oxclose park way that back onto the site.

The building proposals are not quite as intrusive as could be worse feared as they are single storey but my main outstanding concerns are

1) the traffic ( noise, pollution and volume)- the only full entrance will be down the same road as Morrisons so the impact on traffic along rotherham road and oxclose park road will be significant in my view. There is also a bus/taxi road proposed through the site coming out on Deepwell for those who live that site a concern would have to be that it would used as a rat run as some of the others in the area are i.e the one at Halfway Centre. That road runs alongside the planned children's play area

2) The impact of 24 hour trading

I also felt in terms of their pitch the preservation of the greenspace is overstated if I have walked the boundary right it will not leave greenspace that can be used for walking as it basically leaves hedgerow and the marshland at the bottom, it would however presumably preserve some of the wildlife in fact as I was walking around the site tonight there was a bat survey being conducted for the ecology report.

Equally their claim in terms of 450 'new' jobs is overstated this includes a range of posts that are small in hours so the number of full time equivalent jobs is much lower it also assumes there is no job loss elsewhere as a direct impact.

I felt the attitude of one of their reps to small businesses in the area said a lot, and contrary to an earlier comment on here there are some, when asked about the impact on the smaller petrol stations on Station Road and that they wouldn't survive he replied 'Well does it really matter' for some probably not for those who own or work there it does.

The impression I got was that most people who were there at the same time as I was were quite strongly opposed but I suppose that is to be expected to some extent as those who don't have a strong view probably wouldn't turn up.

From a personal point of view I came away thinking it could be worse but I am really worried about the traffic

I am not convinced that the link road from Deepwell will be restricted to Bus / Taxi only. I think Tesco only put that to calm people.

I think it will be hard to police and could become a rat run at peak times.

I am also concerened about the fact it is very close to the planned childrens play area.

Kids and traffic don't exactly go well together.

I also thought that the older guy answering the questions was rude and arrogant and did not give many helpful answers.

He said that the traffic for a 24 hour supermarket would not be as bad as if the area was housing or light industrial! I smell bull on that one.

Also, what's to stop them expanding the store in the future and add an extra storey?

I think its a fantastic idea, there is no wonder that we dont get new businesses around us because there are always do gooders that put objections up and then are the first to complain about no jobs, thats why all the big companies pull out and go elsewhere.

Here's some more fuel for your fires Halfway nimby's. What about all them nasty lorries and plant that will be required to supply materials and machinery to build the new Tesco's that will be running up and down Oxclose and all those uncouth builders with their bottoms sticking out leering over your fences and hedgerows :roll: Heaven forbid ! Pity the poor children and housewifes that will have to stay in all the time to avoid the innocuous wolf whistles and naughty language..

Ill get my coat now shall I ;)

To all the idiots that are complaining about the detrimental effect on local wildlife, what do you think all the houses down there were built on ??

Ruddy hypocrites... :rant: