Proposals for a new Tesco in Halfway

ummm.... the argument is that they are taking the land away from the wildlife, wouldnt your proposal to turn the land into allotments do the exact same thing? :loopy:

i suppose that it would seem that way, but wildlife has a tendancy to settle in and go where it wants. it can still eat your peas and munch through your carrots and generally live side by side to a certain extent. hard bricks and mortar is a little harder to deal with, dont you think? we have badgers that still make their way through our allotments and its great when you see their footprints all over the place. it was just a suggestion, some people may think it a good idea or a nicer alternative anyway!! which would you rather have if you were in the same situation?

Miss 1889 'I too have lived in Halfway all my life'

Not yet you haven't.

My god, this forum just gets better and better!

Put down your keyboard and consider getting a life....... Or does picking faults off peoples posts give you a sense of authority?

Pathetic!

i suppose that it would seem that way, but wildlife has a tendancy to settle in and go where it wants. it can still eat your peas and munch through your carrots and generally live side by side to a certain extent. hard bricks and mortar is a little harder to deal with, dont you think? we have badgers that still make their way through our allotments and its great when you see their footprints all over the place. it was just a suggestion, some people may think it a good idea or a nicer alternative anyway!! which would you rather have if you were in the same situation?

I am in this situation as i am a resident of Halfway myself and have been for over 26 years!

It seems to be everyone is moaning about the effect on the wildlife if the proposed Tesco goes ahead, people were moaning that there was to be a park put up and now with Tesco it wont be, they seem to be suggesting alternatives instead of tesco, whilst championing the ''We care about the wildlife'' theory, lets just be honest here, no one really cares about the wildlife, its just an excuse, an excuse being used to try and stop Tesco building a store, thats why people are suggesting alternatives for the site instead of Tesco, everyones issue is that its going to be a supermarket.

I am in this situation as i am a resident of Halfway myself and have been for over 26 years!

It seems to be everyone is moaning about the effect on the wildlife if the proposed Tesco goes ahead, people were moaning that there was to be a park put up and now with Tesco it wont be, they seem to be suggesting alternatives instead of tesco, whilst championing the ''We care about the wildlife'' theory, lets just be honest here, no one really cares about the wildlife, its just an excuse, an excuse being used to try and stop Tesco building a store, thats why people are suggesting alternatives for the site instead of Tesco, everyones issue is that its going to be a supermarket.

fair comment didnt realise that there was proposals for a park there, that would be a good idea. its a shame that people objected and you are quite right, its no use grasping at straws now in order to find an alternative instead of tesco's.

No - people's issue is that it is going to be Tesco.

As I have said before, if it was going to be a Waitrose, the complaints would be halved at least.

I'd have the same objections were it to be a supermarket, light industrial units or a plain slab of concrete.

I think the directly-affected residents are rightly concerned about the level of traffic increase - as an earlier poster mentioned, if it were for industrial use the traffic outside of "working hours" i.e. when most people are at home would not be as much of an issue. A 24 hour supermarket will affect their quality of life in terms of traffic & noise pollution.

As I mentioned before, I'm not directly affected so this isn't as much of a concern for me. What does concern me is that yet another piece of green space is going to be built upon - this isn't just about protecting the wildlife that live on that land, but also the plants & trees that recycle the CO2 we produce, the recreational land that will be lost & the general lack of open space left in the UK. It's no wonder kids are getting fatter & fatter - all the places previous generations played out are now car parks!!

If developers carry on the way they're going, there'll be no countryside left and the UK will resemble that satellite image of the UK from earlier in the year when the whole country was white, except instead of snow it'll be concrete.

Edited by sheff_minx

fair comment didnt realise that there was proposals for a park there, that would be a good idea. its a shame that people objected and you are quite right, its no use grasping at straws now in order to find an alternative instead of tesco's.

Is this park proposal different to the children's playground that is still, I believe, to be built desipite the Tesco development?

If so, then the people who objected are idiots and will be kicking themselves now I would have thought!

I have read this thread with interest.

Living in Sothall Morrisons is my local supermarket.

I think the idea of another supermarket bang next door is an absolute joke.

Why the hell do we need Tescos when we already have Sanisburys, Morrisons, Iceland and all the market at Crystal Peaks, last I heard a proposed Aldi, Asda 10minutes away at Handsworth and Tescos 15minutes away at Clowne.

Not only this but if you are picky as to where you shop and are unable to travel with ease you can order and get shopping delivered.......if your that bothered about Tescos travel to Clowne or order your food online!

As for the residents in the Oxclose Park area I can only sympathise, the traffic ro Morrisions on the connecting road is already bad, weekend especially you encounter queuing problems getting onto the main road at the top.

Also what about all the people who invested in those houses with the small balconys to view the small piece of "green land countryside" left remaining. To all you pro Tesco people Would you not be gutted if you invested in a house, partly because of the views to find a supermarket was going to be built bang outside your house.

Finally the countryside. Its getting beyond a joke in the area. The new westfield school was built on a large area where you could walk the dog / take the kids to play etc. Now they want to build on another area that is inhabited by wildlife - well I think its sick. There is no green land available as it is.

These people wanting to build this are out for themselves to make money (like they dont make enough already!!!!) they dont care about what or who they affect in the process.

Without intending to upset anyone else as I stated at the start there are alternatives available, its not like there is no choice of supermarkets. If you are that bothered about a Tesco travel to Clowne or order online.

well put Sheff Minx.... totally agree with you on the point you were making! we need to look at our quality of life now, its not too late to change. the land would be better put to use as allotments and let people that want to have a go at growing their own produce. And i have got my own allotment so not touting for a bit of earth before you ask! why not put that suggestion forward, its far more environmentally friendly than the planned store. what could be better than fresh produce on your doorstep being sold to you by people you know,you could have your own free range hens and eggs, how about that?

How perfectly Ironic.. The houses on oxclose were built on allotments.. He who is without sin eh ?? :huh:

I have read this thread with interest.

Living in Sothall Morrisons is my local supermarket.

I think the idea of another supermarket bang next door is an absolute joke.

Why the hell do we need Tescos when we already have Sanisburys, Morrisons, Iceland and all the market at Crystal Peaks, last I heard a proposed Aldi, Asda 10minutes away at Handsworth and Tescos 15minutes away at Clowne.

Not only this but if you are picky as to where you shop and are unable to travel with ease you can order and get shopping delivered.......if your that bothered about Tescos travel to Clowne or order your food online!

As for the residents in the Oxclose Park area I can only sympathise, the traffic ro Morrisions on the connecting road is already bad, weekend especially you encounter queuing problems getting onto the main road at the top.

Also what about all the people who invested in those houses with the small balconys to view the small piece of "green land countryside" left remaining. To all you pro Tesco people Would you not be gutted if you invested in a house, partly because of the views to find a supermarket was going to be built bang outside your house.

Finally the countryside. Its getting beyond a joke in the area. The new westfield school was built on a large area where you could walk the dog / take the kids to play etc. Now they want to build on another area that is inhabited by wildlife - well I think its sick. There is no green land available as it is.

These people wanting to build this are out for themselves to make money (like they dont make enough already!!!!) they dont care about what or who they affect in the process.

Without intending to upset anyone else as I stated at the start there are alternatives available, its not like there is no choice of supermarkets. If you are that bothered about a Tesco travel to Clowne or order online.

my bold

Rother valley country park within a few minutes walk of most surrounding conurbations, Moss valley right on the doorstep :huh::huh: no green space eh ?

Then there is your rather flippant point about people travelling to Clowne or ordering online if they choose to use Tesco's :huh: Did you factor into that equation the elderly and the infirm :huh:

Just like I keep stating The only opposition to this Tesco is from either Nimby's or part time eco warriors :loopy:

Also what about all the people who invested in those houses with the small balconys to view the small piece of ]"green land countryside"[/ left remaining. To all you pro Tesco people Would you not be gutted if you invested in a house, partly because of the views to find a supermarket was going to be built bang outside your house.

next time you are there, have a nice long look from the top of the road from Morrison's, then have a good sniff, yes thats right it does smell like a Sewage works, as that is what is further down the suppose ''green land''.

Its a bloody joke all these eco warrior's kicking off about Tesco, and how the world is against them for wanting to build on some land that they have bought.

If Tesco dont get to build on the land and the eco warriors win, i hope they hand it over to the local travellers to use.

Edited by dink

my bold Just like I keep stating The only opposition to this Tesco is from either Nimby's or part time eco warriors :loopy:

The general definition of a NIMBY is somebody who thinks that the idea is a good idea but they object to the location (i.e. Not In My Back Yard). Nobody on this thread who is opposed to the development has said that Tesco is needed/wanted in the area, just in a different location. We already have that - Clowne & internet shopping.

I'm in no way an eco-warrior - either part time or otherwise. Like I mentioned in my previous post, if the Tesco is built I will use it for the bits that I can't get at Morrisons (and - shock horror - I will DRIVE there!). However this will mean loss of business for the local traders (Killamarsh), and a loss of green space. Yes there is Rother Valley & Moss Way close by, but it is generally fairly scarce & not something we should be ripping up, just because there's an alternative piece of grass a few miles away.

The general consensus from those in favour of the Tesco seems to be "well, green space/allotments etc were ripped up a few years ago, so why not do it again"... I'm sure these will be the same people who complain about the increase in surface water and localised flooding as the concrete doesn't soak up water like the earth currently does.