Remember the Penthouse Club?

There was indeed a stage we saw Def Leppard play on it once they were pretty crap as i remember.

Where was this club? it sounds familiar

(I heard a legend that the bouncers there were reknowned for being fond of controlling unruly folk by throwing them down the stairs, with no regard for the potential for spinal cord injury. )

PT

Considering how little trouble Rebels had - the bouncers werent too nice.. I recall lots of tales from the day about people assisted down the stairs, gruesumness with scalding hot water (which led to a runnng joke amongst my mates of "it'll be the shoeers for you sunshine) and other such like.. I do recall a few people trying to prosecute - but the club always claimed the people who loitered at the door (taking tickets and being security) were nothing to do with them...

Hurray for badged security these days...

It was at the top of Dixon Lane I know as my OH is Bob the DJ he worked there when it was Penthouse later Rebels.

Yes I remember the old Penthouse, seem to remember purple lights amidst a lot of darkness, and plenty of Led Zepplin, 10p pint nights, great times but would be to small a club to cater for todays rock scene, like there needs to be at least two rooms to cater the old and new rock, Rebels closed about 3 years to early before a club would need to cater both.

Brilliant club. Went there regularly in the early 70s. There was an eating area on the right as you came up the stairs, it was separated from the rest of the club by cane/bamboo screens. There was a small stage & dance floor also to the right. The decor was black/purple & they played mainly prog rock. Really started to go down hill mid to late 70s & then became Rebels. Best club in town, Penny Farthing was runner up!

I remember the Penthouse when Stringfellow owned it. The DJ was a guy called Pat Sweetwater who had the full 'Afro' hairstyle and the music was mainly soul, tamla and some reggae. Good club at the time but is was fairly new (1970)

I remember the Penthouse back around 1970. I particularly remember being there one New Years Eve. People were pushing up the stairs to get in and people were pushing down to get out - it was absolute chaos, we were stuck there for a hour - God knows what would have happened in a fire :(

It was a hovel inside, everything was painted black and the lights were kept dim - I don't know how Stringy got away with it :gag:

We did enjoy some good nights there though, I still remember seeing my favourite band, at the time, the "Bitter Suite", formerly known as the "Jigsaw" - they were tremendous.

Bitter Suite !! OMG They were a great band. What happened to them, I don't imagime they're still playing?

I met my wife there in 1973 , still together now , it was the only nightclub in the city (not that there were many in those days) where I could get in being long haired and wearing an earing and prefering heavy rock to the northern soul/motown scene.

I loved the place and frequented it 4 times a week loosing a few jobs because of it .anyone remember half price drinks night on Tuesday and Thursday 10p a drink happy days.

I remember an old guy maybe in his late 70s always in on a saturday dancing with all the young chicks lol.

True it was dark dingy and you had to walk over broken glass (didn't always have plastic glasses) and spilled beer to get to the seating across the dance floor but it had an atmosphere you couldn't buy now.met a lot of great mates in there sadly lost touch over the years.but the memories remain, went to rebels after the penthouse closed and reopened but it wasn't the same although the decor didn't change much.

I did use the penthouse occasionaly with my old mate Jed after drinking in the Albert,Minerva and the Wapentake. Though we both frequented the Marquis of granby in bamford more. That would be mid 74ish. I'm afraid I was always a little too drunk to recall what it was like other than it was pretty dark and dingy which perhaps worked in my favour being so scruffy!!