Remember the Penthouse Club?

I recall going to the Penthouse shortly before it became Rebels in the early 80's. It was the first and last visit. I remember an extremely dark "dive" of a place with a mixed clientelle of alternative music types in long macs, regular types and skinheads. When I asked for two pints, the huge, surly barman reached under the bar to present me with two warm drinks that had been already pulled and left to go stale. What a charming establishment.

If my aging memory is correct then it was painted black, I'm sure all the bench seating was covered in padded black plastic though it had so many rips and holes in it most of the padding had long since disappeared.

The beer [get them under the trades description act] the warm gnats wee was revolting and so I usually stuck to vodka although I'm pretty certain that was watered down somewhat.

I also have a hazy recollection of the place being called 'Dollars' but can't for the life of me remember whether that was after Rebels or before. If it was before maybe that explains the purple paint.Maybe I'll have to contact Bob the old DJ to put my mind at rest

• 2 weeks later...

Ye used to go in penthouse from about 1972 onwards met a few of my early girl friends there , there was big wide sofas at back, dj was on the right as you walked in, bar at the front. I remember frank white used to workbehind the bar sometimes, beer in plastic glasses. Music they played back then was stones, status quo, black sabbath etc

Happy days

• 3 months later...

I am sure it used a STAGE at the back in front of the boarded up windows.....this remained until around 1983 when it vanished to be replaced by more bench seating. Any one recall the stage? It was about 4 feet high and extended along most of the back wall. In the early days of Rebels it was just used as an extended seating area, but the bouncers use to come over and kick us all off. I wonder if this was the same stage that YES played on in 1969!!!

Originally posted by robbieb

Ye used to go in penthouse from about 1972 onwards met a few of my early girl friends there , there was big wide sofas at back, dj was on the right as you walked in, bar at the front. I remember frank white used to workbehind the bar sometimes, beer in plastic glasses. Music they played back then was stones, status quo, black sabbath etc

Happy days

You may well remember the so called "diner"area that is mentioned.....where exactly was this food area with tables and chairs, would it have been the area that became the pool table section in Rebels days? I didnt know it was actually a rock club in 1972 or did it just have weekly rock nights?

Originally posted by goldenfleece

Can anyone recall ever going into the PENTHOUSE club before it became Rebels in 82. trying to remember if it looked different to REBELS or not, was it painted bright purple???

Met my wife in there in 1973, still together. Lots of fond memories and some not so fond - Vomit covered floors and overly aggresive bouncers and me trying to dance to Maggie May while trying to look cool. Still only dance when i'm p****d.

I worked at the Penthouse on the cloakroom in 1970-71, then it was a very "in" place to go, Steve Hackett and his brother used to own/run/manage it (not sure which)they took over from Pete Stringfellow.

I remember the inside being dark with a few sofa's and the usual seating around few tables, there was a small stage area as the club did have a few band play there ,and their was always a D.J...........can't remember if one wasn't Ray Stuart,I remember he played at George 1V on Infirmary Road and The Black Swan,could be getting mixed up.

• 2 years later...

can't remember what colour it was, sorry- remember that every time we walked in - it was always smoke on the water or paranoid playing - followed by a bowie set and more rock - well this was the mid 70's - watching those bbc seven ages of rock progs reminded me and made me feel v old....

Happy days

Yep, a few of you may even remember Joe Cocker stood at the bar drinking whisky on occasions.