Bone Poking Through Gum

I has a tooth out in november but last night noticed that a small sharp piece of bone from what I presume left is poking out throught the side of my gum. Has anyone else experienced this and what if anything did the dentist do?

I misread the title of your post ................... I was going to advise you to attend A&E immediately !!

Seriously, I had a very difficult extraction of an upper molar many years ago which involved drilling the tooth in half to remove it (ouch). I was left with a pointy bit which sticks out of my gum but it's never given me a problem.

I guess that there is a risk that it might erode through the skin and get infected but, as I say, I've never had a problem since my extraction and it must be over 25 years ago now.

Good luck:)

Edited by Daven

I had a wisdom tooth taken out and also notice this after a few weeks, but i ask the dentist and said it was very common for this to happen and it will pop out itself soon has the bone starts to show. On my healing sheet i have it did state this

"During the healing process sometimes, small sharp fragments of bone may loosen and work up through the gum. These are not roots and often work out themselves. If not return to the dentist for their removal."

In my mouth it felt very large bone like half my tooth was still left, but when i seen it it was such a very very small piece of bone. If it is giving you problems ring the dentist, i am not sure how long the bone takes to come out of the gum, i never did have any problems or pain, but the dentist pulled my bit of bone out after a month of it first showing so it would not cause any infections.

I had one protruding and it did indeed go 'somewhere' and ceased to be a problem.

I had a wisdom out several months ago and have a funny hard lump that seems to have gotten bigger/sharper. Not sure what it is but it's not causing any problems so I was just going to mention it next time I go for a check up :confused:

Thanks everyone. i have been having lots of pain in that region and been refered by the dentist who took this tooth out to the dental hospital about this pain. Been told there that I may have sinus probs, trigeminal neuralgia, myalgia and the latest TMJ. I am wondering if its non of the above n to do with this bone :confused:

The last wisdom tooth I had out left a sharp bit of bone sticking through my gum. I just pushed and wiggled it, it eventually snapped off and I pulled it out. Then the gum healed and the whole thing sorted itself out.

its the stuff which glues the tooth to the bone

I must say that since I had all my wisdom teeth out ibnanckja:loopy::hihi:bnhxnhbchsda:loopy::loopy::loopy::help::cool::o:Dhbbds.

But thats wisdom teeth for you.

this happened to me i had one of my back teeth out ..and a few weeks later i noticed a sharp peice of tooth poking out ... within a month a wisdom tooth had popped out :S .... i have two know and they dont cause any pain ... hope you get yours sorted pain free :)

It's a bit of broken tooth left in the gum after extraction and is very common, small pieces tend to work their way to the surface of the gum and can be removed by a dentist if they don't work their own way out !