It's "perry" not "pear cider" so it should be cheaper!

Why don't they just hike tax on any 'cider' with the words 'white' or 'lightning' in its name? Because you don't get many 14 year olds hanging out in Endcliffe Park necking Westons, do you?

The swines............

They managed very well with the lower rate of duty on craft brewers. I don't know why they can't get this one right.

It is very simple. Insist that the rate of duty is applied to products that are made any other way than from 100% apples or pears. They could even have a different rate of tax applied to small output producers.

More to the point, where in Sheffield sells the real Perry along with regular scrumpy?

When I lived in Colchester my local pub (which was very big on real cider) used to sell an 8% Perry which the younger drinkers would try cos it was strong, and which inevitably resulted in carnage!

If you like real cider a neighbour of ours makes the stuff. Better still you can sample it free.

Towards the end of October Woodthorpe Hall make a cider run to deliver the first barrel of its cider to a pub in Millthorpe. Runners pick up the barrel and run with it to the pub and have lunch. Afterwards it is back to Woodthorpe Hall (prefereably with a carrier bag full of windfall apples) to start the next years production. At the same time cider is provided from various vintages for sampling. I seem to remember it being very strong....but rather nice.

If you like real cider a neighbour of ours makes the stuff. Better still you can sample it free.

Towards the end of October Woodthorpe Hall make a cider run to deliver the first barrel of its cider to a pub in Millthorpe. Runners pick up the barrel and run with it to the pub and have lunch. Afterwards it is back to Woodthorpe Hall (prefereably with a carrier bag full of windfall apples) to start the next years production. At the same time cider is provided from various vintages for sampling. I seem to remember it being very strong....but rather nice.

I know there's quite a few pubs round Sheffield that are very good for real cider, but I was just wondering if there are any that might sell Perry as well.

On another note, here's a Facebook campaign that may be of interest here!

Campaign to get The Wurzels to No1 in protest of Cider getting a 10% tax!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112832208727212&ref=share

I know there's quite a few pubs round Sheffield that are very good for real cider, but I was just wondering if there are any that might sell Perry as well.

Certainly the Old Poets Corner at Ashover would. It won cider pub of Britain last year.

The other obvious candidate is the Arkwright Arms near Bolsover, another pub that prides itself for its range for cider and perry.

Incidentally my father knew Adge Cutler in the 1970s.

Certainly the Old Poets Corner at Ashover would. It won cider pub of Britain last year.

The other obvious candidate is the Arkwright Arms near Bolsover, another pub that prides itself for its range for cider and perry.

The aforementioned Odd One Out pub in Colchester has also done quite well in the National Cider Pub of the Year as well. It was in the top 4 in either 2008 or 2009.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=info&ref=profile&id=545583372#!/group.php?gid=5877425065

Edited by Stoatwobbler
extra bit.

The Rutland Arms on Brown Street had two real perrys on last time I went in, which was a couple of weeks ago. I only get a chance to go in after matches, so how regularly they have perry on, I'm not sure.

I'll probably find out on sunday afternoon ;)

Never mind that, I just clicked on your facebook link and nearly fell over, I always imagine people on here to be a quite oldish and fusty :hihi: not young and good looking :P

Have you still given up drinking ? I bet thats why your drawn to the cider topic :D

Edited by hard2miss