Should smokers be allowed to adopt or foster kids?

Well done! Next time you try to quit, you'll easily be able to give up 5 a day! And if you need the 'dummy' effect, have you tried one of those artificial fags? They even have pretend smoke! :) Someone was advertising them on here about the same time. I used to practically eat pencils for a few months after I gave up, or just suck on a little cig holder, sans ciggie. Looked silly, but it helped!

I`m not sure I want to give up, god help me.

I enjoy a cig and Im not unhealthy because of the 30- odd years of smoking Ive done as my jogs up Bardon hill each day can prove but Ive seriously been considering the electric cigs thing... as long as they taste of cig smoke,.... thats the thing I missed the most, not the nicotine, just that taste.

I DO keep trying to jack it in, only... not as hard as before now Im smoking five hair thin roll ups each day.

They worked a treat but I discovered that I enjoyed a cig so I have four or five each day now.

Ok to be more accurate they stopped me from smoking but turned me into a foaming lunatic and my OH made me stop the course on pain of divorce but they cut me from being a 40 a day hunk to a four or five a day hunk.

40 a day, four or five a day, who cares! you are still a hunk. Has anybody ever told you that you look like Jack Nicholson? :love::hihi:

Did you swap threads somehow?

I'm not sure why you think bicycles might be banned though, they should be encouraged. Of course they aren't much use if you don't work in the same city you live in, nor are they pleasant when it's snowing or raining.

:hihi::hihi:

Oh yeah - I saw that bit about enclosed spaces only - NOT. :loopy:

The statement was that the children do not encounter smokers full stop. :rolleyes:

No, the 'statement' was that that my daughter - a child singular - does not get exposed to passive smoking. Have you banged your head?

50 years mentioned again... trust me on this, Ive been there for that 50 years and its only been really noted as harmful for about 35 at the most and treated like a potential end to western civillization for the past 10.
I have to disagree .. I've been here for 63 and when I was 19 I was told by the doctor that I was ruining my lungs and my general health. He showed me pix of smoker's dissected cancerous lungs and a pot full of black gooey stuff, which is the tar. So that's 43 years and it was well accepted even then. Even that didn't put me off. 20 years ago I worked for the Pru and we were banned from smoking in meetings or in the office. Even that didn't put me off.

Years down the line, it took my four year old pushing me away and saying "Don't love me, mummy, please. You smell horrid" Never smoked a cig since! I used all the excuses that smokers trot out, so I do know what you're all going through. But you can't justify it. It's a proven fact now and you can understand why the social services are cautious about placing children in unhealthy enviroments.

No, the 'statement' was that that my daughter - a child singular - does not get exposed to passive smoking. Have you banged your head?

Well as there are smokers in all sorts of public places she's blooming lucky to not inhale any of the rubbish smokers breath into the atmosphere.

And yes - I did bang my head - on the corner of the cupboard when I was getting a teabag. How did you know I had banged my head? You a psychic or something? I only just banged it as well. Hurts like hell! Got it right on the corner. It's a wonder I'm not bleeding to death.

I have to disagree .. I've been here for 63 and when I was 19 I was told by the doctor that I was ruining my lungs and my general health. He showed me pix of smoker's dissected cancerous lungs and a pot full of black gooey stuff, which is the tar. So that's 43 years and it was well accepted even then. Even that didn't put me off. 20 years ago I worked for the Pru and we were banned from smoking in meetings or in the office. Even that didn't put me off.

Years down the line, it took my four year old pushing me away and saying "Don't love me, mummy, please. You smell horrid" Never smoked a cig since! I used all the excuses that smokers trot out, so I do know what you're all going through. But you can't justify it. It's a proven fact now and you can understand why the social services are cautious about placing children in unhealthy enviroments.

Gawd yeah dont get me wrong here, if I were a social worker and had a choice Id go for the non smokers and I remember health films in school in the late 60s where it showed us damaged lungs but things werent quite so hysterical back then, maybe they were wrong for not taking it so seriously and maybe its my age showing when I say that people are wrong for taking it so seriously NOW and possibly theyre quite right for taking it this seriously if it`ll finally rid the world of smoking once the last of the old breed such as myself have passed through the pearly ( but slightly nicotine stained) gates.

It would be nice to see a total end to smoking but its not going to happen for a long time to come- as long as there are powerful people to make money from it in fact, but I hate the snobbery people show against smokers. Treat any other group in the world in the same way and you`d be in trouble, yet its fine to treat the fag addict like a leper. THATS what bothers me.

Even when I`d stopped smoking for almost a year I still couldnt bring myself to look down on smokers and Im rather glad of that, I`d hate to be one of these holier than thou types and if thats what not smoking turns people into then pass me a Bensons.