Should smokers be allowed to adopt or foster kids?

Should smokers be allowed to adopt or foster kids?

Since 2007 restrictions have been put in place to prevent smokers fostering young children. Several local authorities have also introduced bans on adoption by smokers.

Is this right or is it fair on a child to force it to live in a house where people smoke? Should this become a universal ban nationwide?

some tell me this is a joke. just because some 1 smokes doesn't meen they should not be aloud to have children.don't get me wrong a don't agree with smoking near or around children. if you have a child all smokeing should be done out doors and out ov site ov children. even if that means waiting till they have gone to bed....

The Authority will want someone for adoption of the children who would potentially be around longer than a smoker, because they would be seen as more ideal and more healthy. This is obviously not always the case, plenty of non-smokers aren't healthy.

I think it would be nicer for any looked-after children not to be in a household where people smoke. I smoke myself (though more socially than at home), but I wouldn't, don't, and wont have people smoking in my home.

That said, as long as the child isn't in danger from smoke inhalation, ie, the "parents" go outside, then I don't see a problem. People considered fully healthy because they don't smoke aren't stopped from fostering or adopting beforehand - and they still die eventually, some earlier than smokers do.

He probably doesn't.

I am a smoker, but when there are kids around I do not smoke anywhere near them - even if it means going outside in the freezing cold.

Smoking does not a bad parent make.

I agree, and isn't it the case that there are more children that need foster care than there are adults willing and able to foster them? In which case it seems silly to stop them because they are smokers. Surely a child having foster parents who smoke is better than not having any.