Should smokers be allowed to adopt or foster kids?

Unless you can run public transport to every house, from every possible destination, 24 hours a day, then it can't provide the service that is needed.

I'd go to work on public transport if it wouldn't take me 3 hours instead of 1 and most people are probably the same.

What's the phrase though for this, it's not false dichotomy, it's false something else. The two issues are completely unrelated and one of them we can do something about.

The fact that we can't remove car pollution is no reason to subject children who are wards of the state to being brought up with additional poisonous chemicals being blown in their face.

When I was young most working men went to work on a bicycle. Its still possible until one of you bleeding hearts bans them altogether.

I did not give that as an option though did I?

The question is - would you prefer to have 50 children in a care home, or 60 children with caring loving parents who may or may not smoke?

I dont know why you would not see that as an option...however in your example, I would prefer the latter.

Oh you wily word twisting thing you :)

People are saying 'isn't it better for them to be with loving parents' -being a smoker is not like being black or gay. You can give up smoking - easily, if it is for something you really want, like to adopt a child. I smoke myself, but if I was told I had to give up if I really wanted to adopt a child, I would.

Exactly! I really don't see why some people have been unable to comprehend that simple point. Maybe smoking clogs the bloodflow to the brain brain. :D

You are amazingly fortunate that your child encounters absolutely no smokers at all. There are very few places in the city where smokers are not encountered.

Encountering smokers is different from being in an enclosed space where they are smoking. The vast majority of people do not smoke. Smoking is banned in public buildings and on transport. We do not smoke. Very few of our friends smoke, and non of them smoke in our house. Non the of the children whose houses she visits have parents who smoke. That about takes care of all the enclosed spaces she visits. Not so hard to believe really!

Edited by donkey

It almost definitely contributed to his death from cancer at the age of 57.
Without a doubt. You could add Nat King Cole, Ann Sheridan, and some others, but FDR chain smoked, and so did Bette Davis and they survived. The tobacco industry held tremendous sway then. so only the mildest of warnings were on cig packets. Folks knew they were dangerous, they were called coffin nails by the time of the first world war. But it couldn't happen to you, could it. Any body starting smoking today is an idiot, and I was one back then. but no longer, Edited by buck

When I were a lad everyone smoked. Not everyone smoked tobacco though. :hihi:

It were weird seeing young uns in their prams without a parkdrive shoved in their gobs to keep em quiet.

And listening to them coughs you could easily tell when someone was going to snuff it.

Ah for the good old days :hihi::hihi:

What kind of mother would give her kid Park Drive? I'm appalled! What was wrong with a nice Capstan Full Strength?

Encountering smokers is different from being in an enclosed space where they are smoking. The vast majority of people do not smoke. Smoking is banned in public buildings and on transport. We do not smoke. Very few of our friends smoke, and non of them smoke in our house. Non the of the children whose houses she visits have parents who smoke. That about takes care of all the enclosed spaces she visits. Not so hard to believe really!

Oh yeah - I saw that bit about enclosed spaces only - NOT. :loopy:

The statement was that the children do not encounter smokers full stop. :rolleyes:

(cut for brevity) Do I gather from the above that the Champix you were advertising so enthusiastically didn't actually work on you? :suspect:

They worked a treat but I discovered that I enjoyed a cig so I have four or five each day now.

Ok to be more accurate they stopped me from smoking but turned me into a foaming lunatic and my OH made me stop the course on pain of divorce but they cut me from being a 40 a day hunk to a four or five a day hunk.