Should smokers be allowed to adopt or foster kids?

Without a doubt. You could add Nat King Cole, Ann Sheridan, and some others, but FDR chain smoked, and so did Bette Davis and they survived. The tobacco industry held tremendous sway then. so only the mildest of warnings were on cig packets. Folks knew they were dangerous, they were called coffin nails by the time of the first world war. But it couldn't happen to you, could it. Any body starting smoking today is an idiot, and I was one back then. but no longer,

(My bold/red)

They must be getting on a bit by now, though.

:D

Slightly off topic but I have noticed a few people posting stuff in a manner to which I am not accustomed. People making sense and actually using English properly. It is becoming like an episode of invasion of the body snatchers. Scary stuff. Who will be next?

Me?

Maybe not; that would be asking a lot.:suspect:

Sorry I haven't read all the posts (I'm a lazy forummer, you'll learn that about me), so...

For me it comes down to supply and demand. If there are more people wanting to foster/adopt than there are kids needing to be fostered/adopted, then we can be choosy about who we let foster/adopt. Whether or not you smoke seems to me to be a reasonable way of weeding people out. I stopped smoking a while ago, part of my motivation was that one day I'll have kids and I don't want them to see me doing it, or being put at risk.

I don't know what the situation is in Sheffield, but I expect that like most major cities demand is greater than supply, so the last thing we need to be doing is weeding people out of a pool which is already woefully small.

Personally, I would rather have kids placed in stable and smoke-free environments, but if it comes to a choice I'll take stability over smoke-free everytime.

In 1974 my mother was hospitalised because they thought she had TB. The docs at the Hospital allowed her to smoke because it would , in their words "Help her to cough up the junk on her chest" and doctors very rarely mentioned smoking as being THAT harmfull in the early 70s, it only became seen as very harmful in the late 70s when the "NSM" cigs were developed to try to wean people away from them. As late as the mid 80s it was allowed to smoke in hospitals.

Smoking IS a real problem, I agree, and so is the hysteria surrounding it, it`s a plant thats being slowly burned, not a nuclear device being detonated.

50 years mentioned again... trust me on this, Ive been there for that 50 years and its only been really noted as harmful for about 35 at the most and treated like a potential end to western civillization for the past 10.

Seriously there are real things in the world to worry about and I truly envy anyone who has the time to be able to treat this hatred of smoking hobby/fad/gimmick as deadly serious.

(My bold/red.)

I'm 57 and I remember kids at school who were caught smoking were made to sit and read gory medical stuff about smoking as a punishment/encouragement to mend their evil ways/both. (Take your pick.)

That would go back to the early '60s. 50ish years, at least. (The stuff they were reading wasn't new.)

A perfect reason for people with blood clots to smoke then! :D

I recall hearing of a guy who died from stopping smoking!

Apparently, he was a smoker and that raised his blood pressure. He stopped smoking and died. It seems his natural blood was very low - too low to support life. The person who told me swore it was true, but I'm not so sure.:suspect:

The same person told me another 'true' story about smoking actually killing someone...

This bloke had decided to end it all, so he stuck his head in the oven and turned on the gas. Well natural gas is not toxic like coal gas. After half an hour, he gave it up as a bad job and decided life wasn't so bad. He decided to celebrate with a fag. When he lit the match in the room full of gas...

:o

well i dont smoke so it must be refreshing for you to find someone who has a different opinion heh.

By the way it does happen I know alot of people who just go for a drive, people that drive EVERYWHERE even just round the corner because they love to drive. So surely driving for the hell of it would be just as bad as smoking?

I'd say it's worse.

Drivers haven't got an excuse like nicotine dependancy.

Sorry I haven't read all the posts (I'm a lazy forummer, you'll learn that about me), so...

For me it comes down to supply and demand. If there are more people wanting to foster/adopt than there are kids needing to be fostered/adopted, then we can be choosy about who we let foster/adopt. Whether or not you smoke seems to me to be a reasonable way of weeding people out. I stopped smoking a while ago, part of my motivation was that one day I'll have kids and I don't want them to see me doing it, or being put at risk.

I don't know what the situation is in Sheffield, but I expect that like most major cities demand is greater than supply, so the last thing we need to be doing is weeding people out of a pool which is already woefully small.

Personally, I would rather have kids placed in stable and smoke-free environments, but if it comes to a choice I'll take stability over smoke-free everytime.

(My bold/red) - Pun intended?:hihi: