The new blue boxes for paper

Nifty, last-minute, body-swerve by Benn!!!

"I want to make it easier for us all to do the right thing and I am making it very clear today that any obligation to sort waste would fall primarily on the waste collection authority and on businesses, and not the individual householder.”

http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2010/100318c.htm

Anyone might think that there was an election looming!

Well we received our box yesterday, I think we'll use it as a toy box! And take our paper every couple of days to the recycling units down the road.

I'm 22 weeks pregnant so I'm not lifting it to the curb side and my husband had a back accident at work and suffers acute sciatica so he's not lifting it either.

I can't believe the bin men will lift them, seeing as if your wheelie bin is in the slightest bit open they wont pull that on wheels. Barmy idea!

But I still want to do my bit of the environment so I'll use the blue bin for plastics and as I said take my own paper down the road.

I saw a letter in sheffield star other day ,

it said "thanks to sheffield council for the blue boxes , Next door uses theres for his shed and i use mine for a toy box"

I thought it was very funny !:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Why didn't the Sheff City Council, make the little blue box like the new shopping baskets they have in Wilkinson Stores.

With the extending pull along handle which is on wheels but with a lid.

I feel for the bin men having to bend over all day.

I can see lots of claims for back injurys coming out of this.

Happy recycling Sheffield.

The white opaque milk containers from supermarkets are they plastic and blue binnable ?

they go in the blue bin, not the the blue box. you need to take the caps off the bottles as they are a different type of plastic apparently. so the lids go in the black bin

Why didn't the Sheff City Council, make the little blue box like the new shopping baskets they have in Wilkinson Stores.

With the extending pull along handle which is on wheels but with a lid.

I feel for the bin men having to bend over all day.

I can see lots of claims for back injurys coming out of this.

Happy recycling Sheffield.

I know! I can feel my own (ex:- nurse's-and-used-to-lugging!) back coming out in sympathy for the bin men.

I'm sure that the constant bending down so low, and the lifting of the boxes up, to chuck the contents onto the wagon would create shedloads of problems for the binmen's backs. I reckon it'll wreak havoc for them.

we should be paid for recycling , especialy glass , which has to be cleaned first , along with the rest of the stuff. , or weigh it for refund , who gains at the shopping mall.

they go in the blue bin, not the the blue box. you need to take the caps off the bottles as they are a different type of plastic apparently. so the lids go in the black bin

Thank you,that's what I did with them.

I've not trawled through all this thread but I know in Derbyshire they put put glass, plastic and paper all together in an uncovered box for recycling. I don't know how well it works but they have done this for a while now. Maybe we just need to give the boxes a chance before moaning? :)

I know! I can feel my own (ex:- nurse's-and-used-to-lugging!) back coming out in sympathy for the bin men.

I'm sure that the constant bending down so low, and the lifting of the boxes up, to chuck the contents onto the wagon would create shedloads of problems for the binmen's backs. I reckon it'll wreak havoc for them.

What do you think happened for the decades when we only had black bin bags?!

I've not trawled through all this thread but I know in Derbyshire they put put glass, plastic and paper all together in an uncovered box for recycling. I don't know how well it works but they have done this for a while now. Maybe we just need to give the boxes a chance before moaning? :)

Yep I mentioned our system earlier.

http://www.bolsover.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=7372

The proposed system in Sheffield sounds better.

Well ours is out for collection tomorrow, the blue wheely bin felt like it was empty with a few milk bottles (plastic) one or two cans and a couple of glass bottles, oh and a broken mirror (glass)

The blue box is full to level with newspapers and other paper which has been standing out in the rain over the last few days I did not try to lift it having a very fragile back so I just pushed it down the drive with my foot.

Heaven help the poor devils who have to lift hundreds of them each day.