The new blue boxes for paper

Currently, they seem to suggest that a registered disability is not required:

Q. When the blue box is full it is too heavy for me to carry what should I do?

A. We offer help to residents who are unable to move their bin/box to the kerbside for collection due to medical or age related reasons.

No such thing as a registered disability anymopre as a register doesn't exist.

Also I have 2 bins (also have a 360 black bin) due to household being of 6 people. A lot of the thing we buy come wrapped in paper or card so this goes in the blue bin, as does all the junk mail and envelopes. I can reuse them for work as anything I write at work may be used in court so writing it on back of a used envelope not professional.

Not sure if we will get extra boxes as not delivered up here yet, in fact only knew about the scheme via here as not had any letter at all. Also not looking forward to the hessian bags as I know these will be harder (in a physcial sense) than the bin is.

Glad we get to recycle glass though but we don't use enough to fill a bin.

Maybe it is a good idea for us all to try out the system before making assumptions that it will not work.

I am sure that through your community assemblies you will be able to 'have your say' on the pros and cons of the way the system works for you and as with any new system it takes some time for everyone to adjust.

TBH looking at the amount of responses to this threadit looks like the blue box's are a success as there are only a few people who dont seem to like them.

That would be because it's only just started rolling out in one area.

Certainly will need a lid for one here as anything with an address on it is shredded. No good for large boxes as they would fill it straight away.

Its going to create more jobs for the street sweepers, we shred most of our paper and card. The holes in the netting looks like its going to let all the paper back out.

I have thought that I will keep back a few large pieces of card or complete newspapers, and put them on the top under the net - that should keep it from blowing away.

I'm glad of the blue bin to recycle glass and bottles etc as I use more of them than paper, however the blue crate has nowhere to live as it can't live outside due to no lid and I have a small house. I can see as soon as they are put out to empty, they will be nicked or blow away. I think I will use the blue bin, but take my paper to work to recycle and use the crate for storage until they come up with a better idea for the paper.

Thanks.

That gives a good idea of the size in relation to a black bin.

It was said early on (maybe as part of the consultation) that it was thought that when new blue bins were ordered, they would be getting a bin/box combination that would allow the box to fit inside the top of the bin, with the lid down.

I haven't seen reference to it recently.

That sound like a better idea, obviously less ground space used and no need for netting, so surely more cost effective? Too simple for our local authority :hihi: