The new blue boxes for paper

In this era of no win no fee and silly health and safety laws,whos going to be the first to try and sue SCC for knackering their back in whilst attempting to lift their new paper box.

No one because that's a media myth spread by the newspapers that bears no reflection on reality.

Nobody's forcing you to use it. If you prefer you can put all of your waste in the black bin, or take it to the recycling yourself, which is what we all had to do only a few years ago before doorstep recycling was introduced.

I for one am looking forward to having my glass and plastic recycling collected, it will save me an unpleasant job every few weeks.

I'm with you entirely.

I can't wait for the time when I don't have a car boot full of bottles till I get time to go to the bottle bank.

They do a service if you are disabled or elderly where the bin men will collect your bins/crates from outside you back door, when we bought our house an elderly guy had lived there and the service was still running (not that we knew untill the renewel was due).

But do they do a service where THEY store the thing, so that you aren't tripping over it? My bestie is a wheelchair user, like me, but she lives in a poky little flat, where there is no room to store the box inside, and, if left outside, it'd obstruct the communal areas of the flat and/or her own wheelchair access in and out of her flat. That's her major worry there. (she's not able bodied enough to carry the box either, so would someone from the collection company actually come into the property, and carry it out to the bin wagon for her?)

Nobody's forcing you to use it. If you prefer you can put all of your waste in the black bin, or take it to the recycling yourself, which is what we all had to do only a few years ago before doorstep recycling was introduced.

I for one am looking forward to having my glass and plastic recycling collected, it will save me an unpleasant job every few weeks.

But from the talk of how they (local and national gov't, that is.) want to reduce the waste we chuck away, and how they are going to start inspecting the bins, and intend fining those who don't recycle properly, it's a bit worrying to think we'd be fined for disposing of the waste that way isn't it?

But do they do a service where THEY store the thing, so that you aren't tripping over it? My bestie is a wheelchair user, like me, but she lives in a poky little flat, where there is no room to store the box inside, and, if left outside, it'd obstruct the communal areas of the flat and/or her own wheelchair access in and out of her flat. That's her major worry there. (she's not able bodied enough to carry the box either, so would someone from the collection company actually come into the property, and carry it out to the bin wagon for her?)

How do wheelchair uses currently use the blue bins for paper? I would have thought that placing the box next to existing bins and putting paper in a box would be easier than taking it to the blue box and getting it in there due to the height?

I got my box today and it is near full now with shredded letters and paper, junk mail from over the weekend i know i will not get no more in after a couple days.

I love to have my blue bin back for the paper, was so much easy and more room and easy to move about, and a bonus it is kept outside.

lol, one weekend and the box is full !!! I got mine today and I was surprised by the actual capacity of it. From comments on here I thought they were going to be tiny. We have a household of 5 and always fill the blue bin to capcity. However, with paper collections every two weeks Im not worried. Dont forget, if you try it for two collections and fill it you can have another.

PS. Re your last comment, nothing to stop you keeping this outside aswell.

Personally, if I try it and dont like it, then I'll whinge.

Currently, they seem to suggest that a registered disability is not required:

Q. When the blue box is full it is too heavy for me to carry what should I do?

A. We offer help to residents who are unable to move their bin/box to the kerbside for collection due to medical or age related reasons.

Sooooo, I'm not in the age related bracket, nor do I have a medical problem, but I can't lift or drag heavy stuff. Will the council fetch the blue box off my driveway then - and the extra stuff at the side when it overflows?

Edited by 123456A
hee hee