External aerial for a 3G dongle ?

I need a back up internet connection at work, independent of the existing ADSL hub, and I like the idea of a Dongle. We`ve got one at home and it`s only £5 per month. I accept that the speed is a bit low (and so is the download the limit for the said £5 per month) but it`d be more than OK for a back up.

However, partly because we have steel sheeting in our workshop roof, the mobile phone reception is poor in the building. Does anyone know if there`s a dongle available with an input for an external aerial (plus the aerial / cabling to use with it) and do they work ?

I need a back up internet connection at work, independent of the existing ADSL hub, and I like the idea of a Dongle. We`ve got one at home and it`s only £5 per month. I accept that the speed is a bit low (and so is the download the limit for the said £5 per month) but it`d be more than OK for a back up.

However, partly because we have steel sheeting in our workshop roof, the mobile phone reception is poor in the building. Does anyone know if there`s a dongle available with an input for an external aerial (plus the aerial / cabling to use with it) and do they work ?

Usb extender cable and stick the dongle out of the window?

You may also want to stick a bag around the dongle to make it waterproof?

Usb extender cable and stick the dongle out of the window?

You may also want to stick a bag around the dongle to make it waterproof?

99P shop on Snig Hill city centre had some 2 metre length ones last week could be worth buying 2 but dont forget the maximum extention is about 15 feet before the length defeats the object

99P shop on Snig Hill city centre had some 2 metre length ones last week could be worth buying 2 but dont forget the maximum extention is about 15 feet before the length defeats the object

The thing is the aerial would be outside all the time, and it may be a bit more than 15ft as well.

Why do you need a backup for your ADSL line? I can think of several reasons, and I can't think of any which would make me think a 3G dongle (which are slower, less reliable and more restricted than ADSL) would be suitable as a backup... There are many other forms of connection, but choosing one would depend on why you need the backup.

or google cantenna

I'm yet to see a USB 3G adaptor which you can attach a cantenna too, and Google hasn't helped. Did you have a specfic product in mind?

Why do you need a backup for your ADSL line? I can think of several reasons, and I can't think of any which would make me think a 3G dongle (which are slower, less reliable and more restricted than ADSL) would be suitable as a backup... There are many other forms of connection, but choosing one would depend on why you need the backup.

Half our business is received Online via the internet, although, interestingly, (of the mail orders) 35 to 40% is still phoned through. I have to say if I were ordering something technical like an aerial I`d phone the order through, but that`s another discussion.....

Therefore, when the internet goes down our Online orders stop coming through, and/or customers who wish to send us an E Mail can`t.

Half our business is received Online via the internet, although, interestingly, (of the mail orders) 35 to 40% is still phoned through. I have to say if I were ordering something technical like an aerial I`d phone the order through, but that`s another discussion.....

Therefore, when the internet goes down our Online orders stop coming through, and/or customers who wish to send us an E Mail can`t.

Can you get cable in your area? Or you could get a second phone / ADSL line fitted (simple if you already have more than one line in).

A 3G modem is going to be at least as bad for reliability (probably worse) than your current ADSL line, and if you're paying to use it, you don't want the risk of it failing at the same time as your ADSL falls over.

Incidentally, is your ADSL that unreliable? I've never had more than one fault every two years over several lines since ADSL was brought out (early adopter me!). If your line is faulty it will cause problems, but your ISP/line supplier should be able to solve the problem. It could also be a problem with your router - have you tried a different one?