The Sheffield gay scene part 2

Sorry..my bad..i was looking at the wrong bit of the map..it was on the corner of funival gate and union street..it was definitely around 2005 though. I don't know what is in that area now because I moved to Australia 9 years ago

---------- Post added 13-05-2016 at 23:49 ----------

If you came out of fuel and turned left up funival gate then took the 1st right that leads up to the town hall it was just on the corner on the left

Sorry..my bad..i was looking at the wrong bit of the map..it was on the corner of funival gate and union street..it was definitely around 2005 though. I don't know what is in that area now because I moved to Australia 9 years ago

---------- Post added 13-05-2016 at 23:49 ----------

If you came out of fuel and turned left up funival gate then took the 1st right that leads up to the town hall it was just on the corner on the left

Left up Furnival Gate then right up to the Town Hall would take you up Pinstone Street. On the corner, on the left, where it crosses Charles Street, just behind the old Midland/HSBC Bank, was the Freedom Club, is that where you mean? I think it was run by Alan and Angel who took it over after the Planet closed down. I think that was a bit before 2005 though.

---------- Post added 14-05-2016 at 01:09 ----------

This was the Freedom Club, all boarded up in Green in this Google Street View picture. It wasn't open very long.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3789215,-1.471314,3a,75y,288.06h,84.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swpr6_WGZxxp5rzRpX3v8EA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

---------- Post added 14-05-2016 at 01:17 ----------

Or this is the Nelson Rock Bar (now the Rocking Chair) at the corner of Furnival Gate and Union Street, opposite Redgates. I've forgotten its name during its brief gay spell, but a Google search suggests it was called Bar Miles.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3778359,-1.4712002,3a,90y,326.94h,81.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-DIfW4829ZFW-eq-gOoIpw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by EarthBoy

Would anyone be interested in a Saturday afternoon venue in S8? We can offer a private bar and lots of free parking...please pm if you think this might interest you!

Does anyone remember the name of the bar on the corner of Norfolk street and Charles street back in about 2005? It was on the 1st floor of the building. Run by a guy named Stuart I think

---------- Post added 13-05-2016 at 22:52 ----------

Does anyone remember the name of the bar on the corner of Norfolk street and Charles Street around 2005 I think. It was on the 1st floor of the building. Run by a guy called Stuart I think.

I think it was called ' Bar Latino' didn't last that long. Its now ' Rocking Chair' .

Not a good sign what is Dempsey's like at night ?

I've been there a few times at night - I must say it was quite busy last Friday night , possibly because it was Eurovision week ? And |I would imagine it was busy last night what with the Eurovision final - the place was bedecked with flags which is a nice thing to see, they do make the effort on Eurovision week :-)

Yes I would have to admit that it probably makes about 90% of its money at night time and maybe 5% on Sunday dinners (do they still do those?) and the other 5% weekday day times , so if they cant afford to have it staffed at that time, then its no wonder that it now only opens from 6pm every day sadly :-( When it was open earlier I often walked past and looked in to see either no customers or one or two bar flies ;-)

I guess its just a hard commercial decision !

I've walked past Dempseys three times this week at about 4pm and not seen it open once.

I popped into Dempseys for Eurovision on Saturday and really enjoyed myself; while I was there I asked Colin about the opening times, that it had been shut on afternoons when I had popped by recently. Colin reassured me that opening times will soon be back to normal, though I didn't ask him why it was open later than normal; I assume it was because of football.

FYI, BBC Radio 4 (My favourite) is chock full of great LGBT material these days: Following Writing The Century last week, Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City is BACK for its next instalment, in its occasional 15 minute slot. See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07bb8b2 -This time its one of his later tales 'Michael Tolliver Lives' about reminiscences of a newly married HIV survivor.

On Monday, there's an interesting programme about 'Gender Variance' i.e. people who regard themselves as agendered, and over on BBC Radio 4 Extra you can still listen regularly to vintage episodes of 'Round The Horne', a series from before even my time lol.

GREAT turn-out at IDAHOBIT today, glad the weather lived up to the occasion; th event actually only got underway around 5.30; this would be a better start time in future if on a weekday, so as to allow people to attend after work.:love:

---------- Post added 18-05-2016 at 01:16 ----------

p.s. yeah, Re. the Rocking chair, it used to be a gay bar 'Bar Miles', many moons ago, more like around 2004 I think. When it was the Lord Nelson it was still LGBT friendly and in fact as the Rocking Chair it has hosted some of the 'Invert' LGBT Rock nights run by Chicks With Decks in the basement club. As far as I know, Invert isn't on any more although Chicks With Decks do lots of gigs such as at the Viper Rooms last month for the Pride Fundraiser Pub Crawl (which I MISSED due to not enough publicity lol). I do hope there will be more advance publicity for fundraisers for Pride and Pinknic, etc.

Talking of Pinknic, LGBT Sheffield have brought new collection boxes to OMG to replace the full ones so if you are taking advantage of the 99p drink offers on certain days, you know where your pennies can go lol.

Also, lots of us are looking at going for a sing on the karaoke at OMG this Thursday (19 May) so do say Hi!

Sorry I missed IDAHOIT Tyranna and I hope it was a good evening !

Good to hear that Dempseys is getting back to normal opening times sometime soon ...

Yes the OMG Karaoke Thursday nights are going from strength to strength !

I lfet my dog at home and graced the boards there myself a few weeks ago and its great that all singers get a free shot - oh that Dempseys did something similar ;-)

Really looking forward to pride this year back in Endcliffe park - please confirm if you will be performing in the "other" tent :-) :love::love:

Would anyone be interested in a Saturday afternoon venue in S8? We can offer a private bar and lots of free parking...please pm if you think this might interest you!

A cafe type venue? Could be good.

Edited by birobasher

This sounds very interesting; as I know the LGBT licensed bar/club business inside-out, a venue in S8 is a bit far outside of the city centre to guarantee enough customers for even a monthly/weekly "Gay" night.

What WOULD work would be a monthly CABARET Night, aimed both at LGBT customers and also 'Mainstream' customers who are happy to engage in a night out with live entertainment, such as excerpts from musicals and other lipsynch or live singing classics with comedy patter and perhaps a special theme for each show; for example Rocky Horror or ABBA. PM me if you are interested in such an idea.

There should be a very good market for this, as many people are put off going to the big theatre productions except as a really special treat due to the steep ticket prices, and more people are wanting to get up off the sofa in front of the TV to see some REAL entertainment locally.

Best of Luck to your venture!

Onto other subjects, BBC radio 4 continues this week with chock-loads of LGBT programming. The Armistead Maupin season continues with MARY-ANN IN AUTUMN: See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07btfg3

And just a little later on tonight, ANALYSIS, at 8.30 this evening (Monday) features a report on GENDER IDENTITY including Gender-Variant individuals and their struggle to be recognised. See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07btlmk

See also the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36092431

Finally, the current Book At Bedtime at 10.45 every night has an intriguing title: Monsters and Slimeballs and Showgirls

Book at Bedtime, The Bricks That Built the Houses

See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07byv7l

Can I stick my oar in with a plea for a venue catering to queer musical tastes outside of Abba/Kylie etc? It seems that LGBT+ venues always go for them thinking it'll draw the 'mainstream' audience', but isn't that ignoring a wider clientele who probably ignore scene venues in favour of straight ones, because (like me) they don't want to tolerate that music just so they can have a drink somewhere.

When I'm in London I visit Retro Bar just off the Strand, an LGBT+ rock/glam/alt/punk venue. It has the karaoke, quiz nights etc etc, but the soundtrack is more on the New York Dolls/Peaches/Bowie axis.

In more general terms, Sheffield needs a cafe, and queer pub to complete its scene. It has a bar, and a club. What about a proper boozer?

This sounds very interesting; as I know the LGBT licensed bar/club business inside-out, a venue in S8 is a bit far outside of the city centre to guarantee enough customers for even a monthly/weekly "Gay" night.

What WOULD work would be a monthly CABARET Night, aimed both at LGBT customers and also 'Mainstream' customers who are happy to engage in a night out with live entertainment, such as excerpts from musicals and other lipsynch or live singing classics with comedy patter and perhaps a special theme for each show; for example Rocky Horror or ABBA. PM me if you are interested in such an idea.

There should be a very good market for this, as many people are put off going to the big theatre productions except as a really special treat due to the steep ticket prices, and more people are wanting to get up off the sofa in front of the TV to see some REAL entertainment locally.

Can I stick my oar in with a plea for a venue catering to queer musical tastes outside of Abba/Kylie etc? It seems that LGBT+ venues always go for them thinking it'll draw the 'mainstream' audience', but isn't that ignoring a wider clientele who probably ignore scene venues in favour of straight ones, because (like me) they don't want to tolerate that music just so they can have a drink somewhere.

When I'm in London I visit Retro Bar just off the Strand, an LGBT+ rock/glam/alt/punk venue. It has the karaoke, quiz nights etc etc, but the soundtrack is more on the New York Dolls/Peaches/Bowie axis.

In more general terms, Sheffield needs a cafe, and queer pub to complete its scene. It has a bar, and a club. What about a proper boozer?

I couldnt agree more with you regarding a venue that caters for queer musical tastes outside the usual Abba/Kylie. I have offered to do DJing at OMG with my playlist of classic 80's and 90's music but they just don't seem to be interested. They aren't even interested in playing such classic artistes like Grace Jones, Joan Armatrading, Haircut 100 and many others too numerous to mention. On the night after Price died, I even requested to the DJ that they play one of his greats such as Sign O' the Times which is all about Aids. I can't necessarily blame the management, they are still finding their feet with such a new venue, but I do hope they will reconsider my offer to do a 80's Night...

Onto other subjects, BBC radio 4 continues this week with chock-loads of LGBT programming. The Armistead Maupin season continues with MARY-ANN IN AUTUMN: See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07btfg3

And just a little later on tonight, ANALYSIS, at 8.30 this evening (Monday) features a report on GENDER IDENTITY including Gender-Variant individuals and their struggle to be recognised. See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07btlmk

See also the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36092431

Finally, the current Book At Bedtime at 10.45 every night has an intriguing title: Monsters and Slimeballs and Showgirls

Book at Bedtime, The Bricks That Built the Houses

See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07byv7l

As long as you promise not to sing. :hihi::hihi: