The Sheffield gay scene part 2

According to posts I've seen on Facebook, OMG had put their prices up last night (Saturday). It was £6 to get in and Carling was £4.20 per pint.

As for having to leave drinks unattended whilst you go out to smoke, isn't that the case in most places? I thought the venue needed a special licence to allow drinking outside.

You either have to have a licensed and enclosed area, or leave drinks. A lot of places have areas to smoke separate from the entrance/queue. They would unlikely get permission as they are near flats, and there doesn't appear to be any space they own external to the building other than the pavement.

Went yesterday, loved it. Best gay night out in Sheffield for a long time, probably since that place that was near John Lewis. Freedom?

Was packed, music was fine, crowd was cool. Great location. Rapid service at the bar.

Only downside I can think of was £2 for a bottle of water. Too greedy. £6 entry fee was a bit like that too. Oh they could also do with someone going around picking up empty glasses off the floor.

Lets just hope they can keep the ball rolling and keep getting the numbers.

PS: I believe that there may be a new drag night on Wednesday night at OMG but it sounds like it is starting too late at 1:30am ? The offers for students are good but they will want to be in bed for their lectures next day by that time !! Why couldn't they have some more drag acts on sooner in the night as a "warm up" and then people could choose to stay or not ... for example, there is one particularly talented local internationally famous drag act who would be very entertaining to have on with her impressions, unique twist on popular songs and fabulous card games and magic acts that we would all like to see , hint hint !!

Nothing kills a venue like drag. No one wants to see that in 2015, especially young students. Didnt Twist have drag bar staff? Always deserted, shutdown in a year. Lets hope they ignore your advice fella.

If you want to pack a joint, get bare chested fit guys dancing on tables.

Went yesterday, loved it. Best gay night out in Sheffield for a long time, probably since that place that was near John Lewis. Freedom?

Was packed, music was fine, crowd was cool. Great location. Rapid service at the bar.

Only downside I can think of was £2 for a bottle of water. Too greedy. £6 entry fee was a bit like that too. Oh they could also do with someone going around picking up empty glasses off the floor.

Lets just hope they can keep the ball rolling and keep getting the numbers.

Nothing kills a venue like drag. No one wants to see that in 2015, especially young students. Didnt Twist have drag bar staff? Always deserted, shutdown in a year. Lets hope they ignore your advice fella.

If you want to pack a joint, get bare chested fit guys dancing on tables.

good on all points,, But Lilly Savage was good

I went along with some friends on Saturday, have to say it's by far the best gay venue Sheffield has seen and was packed and good fun, the staff are friendly and very professional. It seems to have a more professional and upmarket feel about it than Dempsey's.

I think this place will appeal to people who wouldn't go to Dempseys and it seemed to be a very different crowd on the whole. There are a lot of young gay guys and professional gay guys that i know that will not go to Dempseys so think that both venues might have their own fans and be able to co-exist...

The staff at OMG are very polite and professional which is in stark contrast from Demspeys (a friend of mine was short changed at the bar last month in Dempseys, and when he mentioned it to the bar guy was verbally abused). I was appalled when i heard this, so I for one am happy to pay a little more for something better and to be treated with respect...

My only concern with OMG is that on Sunday's or in the week on quieter nights in might seem too big, it would have been better if there had a small bar area near the entrance to close some of the club off and therefore, make it appear more bar like and busier and also require less staff at these times... Anyhow I can't wait to go again...

Edited by Bboy

What's the mix of clientele at OMG? Mostly male? Any female or transgender people?

FOLKS! Make sure you come along to the Sheffield Pride Meeting TOMORROW, Tuesday 10/11/15, at Union Street Cafe!

To ensure that there IS a Pride next year, everyone who is interested in making this a reality is invited to the inaugral Pride general Meeting at Union Street Works Cafe, Union Street (Opposite Howden House) Sheffield S1, TOMORROW, TUESDAY 10TH NOV from 5.30. All those present will be invited to elect a new Committee to ensure that planning for Pride 2016 moves forward A.S.A.P., following the standing down of the previous committee. Do PLEASE pass the message on and if YOU want a Pride in 2016, make sure you are there!

So, any straight men been into OMG ?

If so, what do you think of it ?

Do PLEASE pass the message on and if YOU want a Pride in 2016, make sure you are there!

What do we need to do if we don't want a pride?

I went along last Friday to OMG with friends for first time and found it very interesting place. We got there before the door fee and were asked to put on wrist bands so that we could come and go as we pleased without getting charged.

It got quite busy later on, probably about 3/4 male, 1/4 female. The bar staff were all seeming to have a good time and were very very polite which was nice and made your presence there feel appreciated.

There were good drinks offers early on, in fact I think lager pints for only £1.99.

Lots of different areas to hang out in - dance area if you wanted to bust moves or nice quiet corners to chill out.

Yes I think this club will do very well and I can see now the delay in opening .

Regarding Pride, I do hope i t happens again in 2016 and gives our star Tyranna pole position to perform after her very entertaining show in 2015 :love::love::love:

---------- Post added 20-11-2015 at 20:41 ----------

One niggle I have with OMG, when one goes along there is it obligatory to have ones picture taken ? It seems so ... what about the people who are not out or are so drunk they are an embarrassment and dont want to be photographed??

OMG, is turning in to a disaster.

Opening night OK. Following weekend quieter. Last weekend closed upstairs. This weekend closed upstairs and no heat! People left as it was freezing. At most 40 people in, by 3 everyone gone. it won't last at this rate. Today advertising for new GM and Asst Manager. Unless they brought externals and that was the plan but changing management 3 weeks in is odd.

OMG, is turning in to a disaster.

Opening night OK. Following weekend quieter. Last weekend closed upstairs. This weekend closed upstairs and no heat! People left as it was freezing. At most 40 people in, by 3 everyone gone. it won't last at this rate. Today advertising for new GM and Asst Manager. Unless they brought externals and that was the plan but changing management 3 weeks in is odd.

That's a bit concerning .. I have only been in once. I would expect upstairs to be closed during the week but not the weekend ?

As for cold, well does seem a massive building to heat , but surely in the big fanfare countdown when they were renovating it for what seemed like the last 12 months, they could have thought to put in insulation also somewhere or did it never cross their mind that it would have to function in Winter too? I was considering going this evening but its kinda put me off now as its a very cold evening :-(