I want a 4x4 - but which one?

Have you considered the Nissan Qashqai 4x4? 7 seater available too in the Qashqai+2

Is the Quasqai a 4x4?

You won't go far wrong with a Toyota Rav 4.

you will if you take it off road :hihi:

Is the Quasqai a 4x4?

there is both 2wd and 4wd

I drive an X trail and love it to bits. It's absolutely huge inside so great for moving disco equipment around, in fact I've been known to do small house moves out of it. It's also pretty economical to drive (I've got it LPG coverted, but when I run it on petrol it lasts quite a long time too). Forget what it looks like outside, it is the practicalities of it and how well it drives.

I've had a Range Rover (too big and heavy with limited acceleration)

I've had a Discovery (even heavier and very uneconomical)

I've had a Pajero (wonderful vehicle, although the short wheel base has very little boot space and the diesel version seemed underpowered)

You're only really going to know which one you like when you come to test drive them. My advice would be, unless you have a bottomless pocket full of tenners, is to get one that has been LPG converted or your fuel costs will rocket.

There's some good - and cheap - old-style Freelanders out there. Since the new model came out the prices on the old shape have gone down, but they're still good vehicles.

I like the Nissan Navara and it's a good cheap 2nd hand car that will go anywhere. May be too big for you though (and it's a pickup) but the king-cab has plenty of space.

We've got a Discovery 3 and there's acres of space and it's great for towing.

I wouldn't recommend the Rav4 - I've heard nightmares about the off-road ability. Better spending the money on a Freelander, as they're similar size/market.

ive got a isuzu trooper and absolutely love it xxxxx

Someone once said if you are going into the outback take a Land Rover, if you want to come out alive take a Toyota! There isn't many 4x4's that I haven't tried and personally land rovers work for best for me. Having said that they are an ongoing project so I'm lucky my OH repairs them himself.

4x4's I wouldn't have again are Honda CRV (crap and rubbish on fuel) and Pajero (camber too much). It really depends on what's important to you in a 4x4 and how deep your pockets are for running one.

If you want reliability get a Nissan X Trail, a Toyota RAV 4, or a Honda thingy. They were the top 3 most reliable cars based upon which cars come back to the dealers for repair under warranty.

I was amazed at some of the most unreliable which included Saab, BMW and Mercedes models. The Landrover Freelander did not do so well either.

i have a Suzuki Jimny Jeep and it was excellent when we had the snow early this year, had some teething problems at first and not had it a year yet, but fingers crossed no more problems, not much space in the boot though

why not look for an Audi Quattro? an A4 or A6 estate? I had a 2.8V6 Quattro and it was superb in every aspect.

Wouldn't be looking at a Rav 4 - at least until AFTER the safety recall..