Owls all time 11 of my lifetime.

Palmer would have ripped Currie a new ass mate, no shame in that though, he did the same to most tallented midfielders back then:hihi::hihi:

Now you are just being silly unless you know something about Palmer we dont and not talking about football here :help:

Even the most blinkered owls on here who saw Currie play and know something about the game of football know Currie was a brilliant player.

Now you are just being silly unless you know something about Palmer we dont and not talking about football here :help:

Even the most blinkered owls on here who saw Currie play and know something about the game of football know Currie was a brilliant player.

I saw Currie play and you're right he was superbly talented. But I think the point being made is that somebody like Palmer wouldn't have allowed Currie any room or space, and you have to admit that Currie only looked good when he'd got time and a few yards around him. I'd always have somebody like Palmer in my team. From United's point of view Trevor Hockey was similar in style, but far removed in appearance to Carlton.

I saw Currie play and you're right he was superbly talented. But I think the point being made is that somebody like Palmer wouldn't have allowed Currie any room or space,

sorry mate but a dick like palmer would'nt have been able to dictate how currie played. currie made clever players look stupid imagine a stupid player against him :hihi::hihi:

Grant

Spurr

Buxton

Simek

Purse

O'conner

Potter

Esajas

Johnson

Tudgay

Jeffers

8 out of the 11 starters Corky, 2 out of the other 3 on the bench, no place for jeffers.

Not far out there.

my life time.... born 1970...??

:D

Marcus Tudgay

Gary Bannister

Mick Lyons

Martin Hodge

Nigel Worthington

Glenn Whelan

Chris Waddle

Tommy Spurr

Gary Shelton

Peter Shirtliff

John Sheridan

:)

8 out of the 11 starters Corky, 2 out of the other 3 on the bench, no place for jeffers.

Not far out there.

I knew i should have put an application form in for the job lol :hihi:

My point remains the same for your post as well as CB's, it isn't possible to tell. You can't take two teams from different times and say which was better. You will never know so it is a stupid argument.

Statistically you can, I don't want to keep going off topic, but promotion, a League cup final win, third in the league a couple of EUFA cup games and 2 cup finals is better than the Woodward and Currie team achieved by a mile :thumbsup:

Statistically you can, I don't want to keep going off topic, but promotion, a League cup final win, third in the league a couple of EUFA cup games and 2 cup finals is better than the Woodward and Currie team achieved by a mile :thumbsup:

The Blades team of the same time is the best to compare with the team you describe above.

The Blades did the double against the very team you mention in your post.

The point being some owls keep on about how United so called best team couldn't live with them on the pitch, well the current team at the time did more than just that.

The Blades team of the same time is the best to compare with the team you describe above.

The Blades did the double against the very team you mention in your post.

The point being some owls keep on about how United so called best team couldn't live with them on the pitch, well the current team at the time did more than just that.

The judgement of which was the better side though alex is not just based on Owls v Blades matches it's about what level of success was achieved in the league and cup competitions of their respective era's, the Woodward and Currie Blades did not achieve the same level as the Waddle and Hirst team.

The judgement of which was the better side though alex is not just based on Owls v Blades matches

Unless your like a lot of wednesday fans on here.

I could pull you dozens of posts to prove that point from last season.

I do agree with you though.

Owls v Blades of my lifetime

1 Ron Springett Alan Hodgkinson

2Roland Nilsson Len Badger

3 Don Megson Graham Shaw

4 Wilf Smith Trevor Hockey

5 Peter Swan Joe Shaw

6 Tony Kay David Powell

7 Chris Waddle Jimmy Johnstone

8 Benito Carbone Tony Currie

9 David Layne Mick Jones

10 Paulo di Canio Alan Birchenall

11 Colin Dobson Alex Sabella

Owls v Blades of my lifetime

1 Ron Springett Alan Hodgkinson

2Roland Nilsson Len Badger

3 Don Megson Graham Shaw

4 Wilf Smith Trevor Hockey

5 Peter Swan Joe Shaw

6 Tony Kay David Powell

7 Chris Waddle Jimmy Johnstone

8 Benito Carbone Tony Currie

9 David Layne Mick Jones

10 Paulo di Canio Alan Birchenall

11 Colin Dobson Alex Sabella

I was speaking to my dad about David Layne - when he came on the pitch at half-time this season. He said he was good, but nowhere near as good as David Hirst.