Will You Want To Use The Moor?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Will You Want To Use The Moor?

• Yes - I'll use The Moor during the development
    • Yes - I'll use The Moor after the development
    • No - I have no need to use The Moor during development
    • No - I have no need to use The Moor after development
    • Not Applicable - I never go there anyway

When the Castle Markets were constructed the centre of Sheffield could support two distinct shopping areas. Since the advent of Meadowhell it can only just support one. Also many of the items that used to be sold in the Market area can now be found in certain cut price stores that have sprung up around the country. Much as I love the atmosphere of a Market ( worked the markets many years when I was a kid) the time has come to re-develop this area. Perhaps more should be made of Sheffield's history and the castle in particular

i used to go a lot with my parents when i was younger but now i try not to go if i can help it. i don't like the area, certain people that seem to hang around there are not very nice which doesn't help the area.

its run down and mucky and in my opinion it needs knocking down and re locating or knocking down and re building.

id go more if it was done up or moved but only if it stayed nice but moving it may only move the problems to another area also if it is not looked after it will become run down again quickly.

I'd support the move if it meant that the area would be turned into a park with the castle ruins on show and more use of the river.

This poll is going well :D

We need to stop romantisizing about the castle market, Its definitly had its day.

I'd support the move if it meant that the area would be turned into a park with the castle ruins on show and more use of the river.

Couldn't agree more.

This :thumbsup:

I'm for it as long as the new market is a proper market and that the traditional market traders aren't priced out of business by sky-high rents. I shop there a lot and value it for its service quality, quality and price of produce, and variety. I'd feel it to be a wrong move if that was lost on the pretext of smartening up a run-down sector of the city, so it's important the new market offers the same as the old one did, and more.

The markets need to go to a new home, in lighter, airier surroundings.

If we improve the general area and develop the river area, we may attract more inward investment to Sheffield.

We must be one of the few cities or towns in the country who have a river going through the centre, yet make virtually no use of it! It seems to just be something to be culverted, and got round.

Parts of the river are better than they used to be. There is the walk, but this is dis-jointed. Imagine if we open up the river-side to have a ribbon of park with trees and shrubs, the odd play area or two? Similar to parts of York, and Cambridge for example. Think a much smaller scale version of London's Embankment, where you get loads of people strolling, cycling whatever (and potentially spending...)

Combine this with opening up the Castle ruins, and fine tuning the infrastructure. This would surely make the area a more attractive proposition to companies seeking offices, whatever.

I can't see anything to gain in leaving the status quo as it exists. The geographic argument is a non starter. The Moor is further for some, closer for others...

EDIT: forgot to say that I do use the market occasionally...but would use it more if wasn't in such horrible surroundings.

Edited by perplexed
added a bit...

i voted "no" but didnt agree with the statement - its a bit disingeneous. i think on relfection what i would like the castle market to stay, be refurbished and the area be redeveloped. in so far as redeveloped means improving the street scene, appraising the existing building stock and aiming to renovate rather than demolish, where possible.

what will the council do with the land when castle market goes???? will they turn it in to a park???? or will the council sell the land for development?? The problem with that part of town isnt the building its the council and police seemingly lack of interest in that area why arent city centre ambassadors ever down there and why arent police more visibile?

Castle market is a much better building than what is proposed down the moor given a face lift it could become a destination