Will You Want To Use The Moor?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Will You Want To Use The Moor?

• Yes - I'll use The Moor during the development
    • Yes - I'll use The Moor after the development
    • No - I have no need to use The Moor during development
    • No - I have no need to use The Moor after development
    • Not Applicable - I never go there anyway

It's looking even more of a mess than it did previously.

The bandstand is now demolished, the "permanent" market stalls, which were up towards Debenhams, etc, are also gone. Even the little garden of sorts with the trees, benches and the plaque on the ground with the decorative moulding has been torn down.

At least some work is happening, it's about time.

Not necessarily. Many modern business leases have rent reviews that operate upwards only.

We are lucky. Ours can go down & up....and next review we will most certainly be hedging for downwards. :)

It's good that something appears to be happening. I hope they shovel up every piece of tat and ugly street furniture that scars the middle of the street and don't replace it with much at all apart from quality paving. From the top of the street it looked like a horrible obstacle course of metal objects with with few signs of life and didn't appear worth venturing down there.

Once the view straight down the street is restored and the visitor can see a mass of people milling around shopping it will draw them down there to investigate. I might even do the same myself. I look forward to the new market and facelifts to the existing buildings. Then eventually demolish the MSC building.

been to chessie today thats a market thriving its so busy compared to sheffield maybe the council should take lessons form chesterfield

There are no magic lessons to be learnt.

Chesterfield Market is in the centre of the main town square, surrounded by all the main shopping streets - not stuck out in the middle of nowhere on a limb like Castle Market.

Most of chesterfield's market - particuarly the non food - is outside - you cannot help but walk through it if you are around the town shopping. You are forced to walk through the market stalls.

Castle Market is enclosed within the building - you have to specifically go there to get to the stalls. Nobody is doing that.

That's the difference. That's what SCC are now trying to sort out.

Sheffield shopping habits have moved on. "Town" has moved away from castlegate. Castlegate as a shopping destination has gone.

Now, the sooner people stop whinging, moaning, weaping over the past and pathetically clinging on to a dead duck known as Castle Market and actually let the council get on with building the new one...... we too might end up being just as busy as Chesterfield. The moor and its surrounding areas are under renovation. Shops have to close as part of that, buildings have to be pulled down as part of that. Exactly the same things happened in Leeds, Liverpool, Birmingham....etc...etc.. That's called progress.

Now lets get behind this scheme and get the thing built.

Edited by ECCOnoob

It's looking even more of a mess than it did previously.

Errr well it is mid demolition. they haven't actually finished yet :hihi:

been to chessie today thats a market thriving its so busy compared to sheffield maybe the council should take lessons form chesterfield

Of course its thriving its in the traditional Market area as are most Markets in the World.

I will be most sad to see Sheffields Market area lost forever.