Strangest thing I've ever seen.

Why should they, I am after all keeping an eye on their cars as well as my wifes car.

I have had the police knock on my door asking me to have a look through the recordings when a neighbours car was vandalised.

I just thought it wasnt allowed, bit like the Harry Enfield scetch where Paul Whitehouse Played Michael Pain

I checked temps on a site yesterday and it seemed likely temps would have been around 2 degrees at that time, enough for a slow melt.

Exactly a verrrrrrrrrrrrrry slooooooow melt. For those cars to have moved the way they did, the thickness of ice would have to have gone from at least ten inches to nothing

Furthermore if the cars are facing downhill any surface ice would be in a wedge shape with the thin end of the wedge at the rear of the cars melting before the thick end

Ice in temperatures of two or three degrees does not just go CLUNK and pitch cars forward and it is quite absurd to even consider the possibility

Exactly a verrrrrrrrrrrrrry slooooooow melt. For those cars to have moved the way they did, the thickness of ice would have to have gone from at least ten inches to nothing

Furthermore if the cars are facing downhill any surface ice would be in a wedge shape with the thin end of the wedge at the rear of the cars melting before the thick end

Ice in temperatures of two or three degrees does not just go CLUNK and pitch cars forward and it is quite absurd to even consider the possibility

I would have thought that it is perfectly feasible that with a slow melt the resistance in the ice would be momentarily overcome resulting in a short sudden movement forward.

I would have thought that it is perfectly feasible that with a slow melt the resistance in the ice would be momentarily overcome resulting in a short sudden movement forward.

Yeah, good point. This would explain all the cars moving forward at the same time.

But think physics WC. How many centimetres would a 4 metre long car need to drop at its front end to move forward with the force those cars apparently did presumably with handbrakes applied, in gear? on rubber tyres? And both at the same time. I can't really see it happening

But think physics WC. How many centimetres would a 4 metre long car need to drop at its front end to move forward with the force those cars apparently did presumably with handbrakes applied, in gear? on rubber tyres? And both at the same time. I can't really see it happening

I agree, the incline, which is presumed to be very small, would not generate sufficient force to move the cars suddenly.

The poster might be able to confirm (with the original recording) that, on the nearest car, the front wheels appear to have turned, although this might be due to light reflections on the trims. They would do this, of course, if car was in neutral and the rear tyres slid, or if in gear there could be sufficient mechanical play to allow a small rotation of the front wheel as the car only appears to have moved less than the length of its door handle. Wheel bearing friction would still have to be overcome, though.

Edited by carosio